Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    True sync is very complex.

Yes, DB8 is supposed to sync easily with CouchDB in the cloud. But even Palm did not do it across devices. For example, your memos and tasks in your Palm profile do not sync between a phone and a TouchPad.

Also, DB8 has its own disadvantages, that is why we are still using Sqlite.
    I was a HandyShopper user, I just purchased Shopping Manager (loaded v2.6.1) and have converted my HandyShopper lists into separate .txt files, and moved them into the “downloads” folder on my Pixi Plus but I don't understand how to import the .txt files into Shopping Manager. I’ve spent hours reading the instructions and this thread but nothing works when I try it.

I’ve started by creating a new database called Supermarket, opened it, but can’t figure out what to do next. I think I’ve tried all of the menu choices, but I must be missing something. Can you please provide me with step by step instructions?

Thanks, Roger
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    There is a section in the manual about transferring data from HS to Shopping Manager.

When you have opened your database in Shopping Manager, you open the App Menu and then select "Database" and then "Data Transfer".

Then you select "Import" and "File" and then "Execute".
    Pitxitxita likes this.
    I followed your instructions and imported my first .txt file, thanks for the step by step instructions.

I was expecting to choose the file to import, BEFORE selecting Execute.

My problem now is that all of the items are listed under one Ball. I’ll re-read the section of the manual regarding formatting of the items in the .txt file and try again.

Thanks again for the help.
    FYI, I found my problem, the second item in my .txt file ended with a quotation mark (“). I removed all quotation marks from all files and everything went smoothly.

I now have all 662 items from HandyShopper in Shopping Manager and I’m ready to start using it. My impression just from setting it up is that I’m really going to like it.

If I come up with any suggestions I’ll post them, but from reading this thread and the instructions, it appears to be a debugged mature application.

Thanks again for the help.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    All of a sudden, I'm having problems importing data from a Google spreadsheet. Instead of the items importing, some message quickly scrolls up the screen, leaving only a bunch of html containing various Google links (Google home, discussions, etc.) I can't see the rest of the message, and my only choice is to hit OK. Any clues? Thanks.
    US Robotics Palm Pilot Pro>Upgrade to Palm Pilot III> Palm V>Upgraded to 8MB>Tungsten T>Treo 650>Treo 755p>Palm Pre>Touchpad & Pre 2
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Thanks for reporting this. Google has changed something. A fix has been submitted to HP.
    Since this evening, i can't sync with google again:
    "Zugriff auf Google fehlgeschlagen:
    <errors xmlns='http://schemas.google.com/g/2005'><error>
    <domain>GDdata</domain><code>ServiceForbiddenException</code><internalReason>403.4 SSL required</internalReason></error></errors>

Anything i can do to solve this error?
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dthought View Post
    Since this evening, i can't sync with google again:
    "Zugriff auf Google fehlgeschlagen:
    <errors xmlns='http://schemas.google.com/g/2005'><error>
    <domain>GDdata</domain><code>ServiceForbiddenException</code><internalReason>403.4 SSL required</internalReason></error></errors>

Anything i can do to solve this error?
    I got this when trying to export to Google Docs as well.

As an alternative, I tried to import my data to my touchpad using import from clipboard option and an email sent to myself with the data but couldn't because the "Import" button i was supposed to click isn't on the TP version.

Dunno what to do at this point
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Sorry about that. Google again made some changes. Update is underway (same for Data Manager).

Thanks for reporting the missing import button. Will be fixed in the release after that.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    How can I do the following, or can they be added as new features or options?

1. Add an impulse buy to the tally of total spend when shopping? Sometimes you have to spend over a certain amount to gain a discount at checkout. I can add the item, but have to name it and add it to the database which means opening the phone keyboard and is not easy to do one handed - you then have to check it too - too many key presses. I just want to press add, enter the amount and confirm to add it to the total spent tally. Possibly have an option when shopping for the name not to be mandatory and for the added item to be automatically checked?

2. Have a unit size for best buy calculations etc other than just 1.0. For example, jars of coffee are 200 gram. I want to display a unit size for that item of 200 g not 0.2 Kg, and then in best buy compare price per 200 grams not per kilogram and display unit price on shopping list for 200 grams not for 1 kilogram.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I'm using the latest version of the demo Shopping Manager on HP Touchpad to try out Shopping Manager. When initially setting up my shopping data I intend to use an excel spreadsheet, but will then frequently import / export between the Touchpad (as the main shopping manager) and two Palm Pre-2 phones.

So far I have the demo database with an extra entry added and renamed shops plus a few extra unit types.

I can export this data (all shops, all categories, including header) successfully by e-mail - open it up in Excel, save as semi-colon separated file (with .csv extension, but not comma separated).

I can then import (including header) back to a blank database (or over-write the existing database) on my Palm Pre-2.

When I try to import data back on to the touchpad using the above csv file - it fails every time with

"An exception occured in function DB.errorHandler():
    DB: DB error: constraint failed/1"

... even though I am using exactly the same settings on both Touchpad and Palm Pre2 for the import.

I can successfully import the data from the clipboard on the Palm Pre-2 - but on the Touchpad the "Import" button is missing after the data is pasted into the app - so I can't try that.

This means that this otherwise excellent software appears to be unusable to me - I could possibly work around these problems (not using Excel), but can't risk hours of work that this bug will cause problems for me later on given I would like to use import / export.

Can VivaLV Software advise or possibly correct this bug?

Actually - a more straightfoward one touch export / import or sync for TouchPad to other WebOs devices would help so much - especially if there was a way to integrate it with the WebOs e-mail application.

I wonder if syncing via GoogleDocs might be easier - but that's a whole new learning curve for me - and it looks like that that is not working correctly too at the moment from earlier posts in this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by apwood View Post
    How can I do the following, or can they be added as new features or options?

1. Add an impulse buy to the tally of total spend when shopping? Sometimes you have to spend over a certain amount to gain a discount at checkout. I can add the item, but have to name it and add it to the database which means opening the phone keyboard and is not easy to do one handed - you then have to check it too - too many key presses. I just want to press add, enter the amount and confirm to add it to the total spent tally. Possibly have an option when shopping for the name not to be mandatory and for the added item to be automatically checked?
    You can create an item called Impulse with a price of 0 & add it to your list. When you get your impulse item, change the price & check.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    2. Have a unit size for best buy calculations etc other than just 1.0. For example, jars of coffee are 200 gram. I want to display a unit size for that item of 200 g not 0.2 Kg, and then in best buy compare price per 200 grams not per kilogram and display unit price on shopping list for 200 grams not for 1 kilogram.
    You can define the units like you want. Either kilogram or gram.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    When I try to import data back on to the touchpad using the above csv file - it fails every time with

"An exception occured in function DB.errorHandler():
    DB: DB error: constraint failed/1"

... even though I am using exactly the same settings on both Touchpad and Palm Pre2 for the import.

I can successfully import the data from the clipboard on the Palm Pre-2 - but on the Touchpad the "Import" button is missing after the data is pasted into the app - so I can't try that.

Actually - a more straightfoward one touch export / import or sync for TouchPad to other WebOs devices would help so much - especially if there was a way to integrate it with the WebOs e-mail application.

I wonder if syncing via GoogleDocs might be easier - but that's a whole new learning curve for me - and it looks like that that is not working correctly too at the moment from earlier posts in this thread?
    Can you send me the file that does not import on the TouchPad by email, please? (shoppingmanager(at)vivalv.de).

The missing import button on the TouchPad for file import will be fixed in the version after the next one. The next one fixes the Google issues and will hopefully be available soon. Sorry about the recent problems.

Exchanging data between 2 devices is actually much easier over Google Docs than via email/clipboard import. You just need a Google account and then it is very simple, I think.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    You can create an item called Impulse with a price of 0 & add it to your list. When you get your impulse item, change the price & check.
    Thanks - that work around is better than nothing - but presumably if there might be, say 10 impulse buys I would need to have Impulse1 to Impulse10 - it could get bit unwieldly to use.

It would be an improvement- and I'd guess strightforward to add an option to add impulse buys without naming them (hopefully as simply as possible), or at least to be able to disable the name being a mandatory field when actually out shopping?

Could something like that be considered?
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Oh dear - slow internet causing problems with multiple posts ...
    Last edited by apwood; 10/03/2011 at 04:24 AM. Reason: error in posting
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Sorry posted twice by mistake.
    Last edited by apwood; 10/03/2011 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Error in posting
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    You can define the units like you want. Either kilogram or gram.
    I don't think that works.

An example is buying a jar of coffee that is 200 grams, and comparing with an alternative jar that is 300 grams - to see which is the best buy, and how much better the 300 gram jar really is in £ and pence. So if the saving on the 300g jar was, say 10p per 200g - it might not be worth buying the bigger jar, but if 50p it would be worth buying the bigger jar.

If I define a unit of 200 grams, then the shopping price shows the unit price per 1 gram (in brackets) - not a unit price for 200 grams. The Best Buy option the compares the price for 1 gram - rather than the price for 200 grams. So a 10p saving per 200g would instead be shown as a saving of £ 0.0005 - not very meaningful in the real world. I want Best Buy to show that, per 200 grams, I would be saving £0.10 instead of £0.0005 per gram.

There does not seem to be any way to make the software do that.

The alternative is to enter a unit of 0.2 Kg. It then shows the saving per 1 Kg - ie a 10p saving on a 200 gram jar is shown as 50p (per 1000 gram) - this is misleading - making the saving seem bigger than it really is. Also, some people would struggle to enter the price of the 300 gram jar - they would not know to enter 0.3 instead of 300 (which is the weight displayed on the jar).

Hope that make it clear what the problem is;

I want to enter 200 gram as unit - and the software do its calculations based on units of 200 grams, not on units of 1 gram.

Is that possible, or can it be made possible
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    Can you send me the file that does not import on the TouchPad by email, please?
    Have now done so - but it seems to be working now! Presumably a restart of Shopping Manager did the trick!

The application does become unresponsive though after importing - I had to close and restart shopping manager.
    Last edited by apwood; 10/03/2011 at 04:42 AM.