Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I am having a problem exporting to Google Docs. I am using Data Transfer option to export all items to a Google Docs spreadsheet. I am definitely connecting to Google Docs because the spreadsheet keeps updating, i.e. backup is created and document revision time keeps changing but the spreadsheet is completely blank.

I've tried creating a new spreadsheet and tried updating an existing one and both come up completely blank.

After the transfer I get an error message that says something about Google returned an error but your transfer should be ok.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Did this work once and not anymore or did you try it for the first time?

I just exported to an existing and a to new spreadsheet and both worked.

That warning that you saw normally only appears, if you are exporting to a shared document from somebody else.

There is a known problem in 2.3.3 with Google import (which will be fixed shortly), but export seems to work OK for me.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Sidamos,

This is the first time that I try this feature. My documents are not shared with anybody.

I tried again this morning and the primary database exports fine but my two other databases will not export.

Quintus.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    That is really strange.

Any chance, you could send your database file to our support mail address? (shoppingmanager(at)vivalv.de)? Your Google login is not saved in the database.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    That is really strange.

Any chance, you could send your database file to our support mail address? (shoppingmanager(at)vivalv.de)? Your Google login is not saved in the database.
    Sidamos,

I just sent you one of the databases. The re line is "Shopping Manager: Quintus Database".

Thanks for your help and sorry for the delay.

Quintus.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I just sent you one of the databases. The re line is "Shopping Manager: Quintus Database".
    Quintus.
    I saved the content of your mail as a file, copied it to my Pre and imported the file successfully into a new empty database.

Then I exported that database to Google Docs without problems.

Maybe the problem is in your actual physical database file, so I would have to test with this.

Here is where you can find that file:
    Documentation

But I am beginning to believe, there is a problem with your Google account. Could you perhaps check with another one to be sure?
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Shopping Manager v2.3.4 is available in the Palm App Catalog.

Changes
    * bug fixes for Google import
    I have been enthusiastically using the full version of Shopping Manager for some time.

One feature would make it much more useful--if when I access the shop pull-down menu there were some indication of how many items would be seen in the current view if I selected that shop. So if I am in needed view there are no needed items in a particular shop, a "(0)" would appear next to the title, obviating the need to check the shop individually. Didn't HandyShopper use to do this?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    But I am beginning to believe, there is a problem with your Google account. Could you perhaps check with another one to be sure?
    I just sent you another database. I have been doing some testing and it appears that this last database is the problem. Everytime I try to transfer this one and get the error message from Google. All other databases are working fine.

Hope this helps you identify the problem.

Quintus.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I just sent you another database. I have been doing some testing and it appears that this last database is the problem. Everytime I try to transfer this one and get the error message from Google. All other databases are working fine.
    One of your entries has a special character in the category name. I have sent you an email.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hoffman View Post
    One feature would make it much more useful--if when I access the shop pull-down menu there were some indication of how many items would be seen in the current view if I selected that shop. So if I am in needed view there are no needed items in a particular shop, a "(0)" would appear next to the title, obviating the need to check the shop individually. Didn't HandyShopper use to do this?
    I don't know, but it's an interesting idea. I will write it on the wish list, thanks!
    I don't know, but it's an interesting idea. I will write it on the wish list, thanks!
    I agree. This was a very helpful feature in HS. At a glance, I can see if I need anything in stores while I'm at another. Can prompt me to check other lists to see if I can get something at the store i I'm at.
    Hello! My sister is a devout Shopping Manager user with a new requirement: three stores! She has entered her more than 600 items for her local supermarket and has assigned aisle numbers for each. Meanwhile, there are two new supermarkets at which she occasionally shops, and she'd like to get all of her items assigned to all three stores now, and have different aisle numbers for each item at each store. I'm going to give her the gift of making that happen for her, as long as I can do it without going through every item on the list and manually updating them.

I know SM supports multiple stores with different aisle numbers for each, but my question is this: can I export her list, manipulate it in Excel to add the aisle numbers for the other two stores, and then re-import the whole thing back into Shopping Manager, all ready for her to shop?

I did a test export of my list, having assigned an item to two stores, and it looked like this:

3 Mil trash bags - 42 gallon;Unfiled;King Soopers;Piece;0;0;;15;false;false;1;false;1
    3 Mil trash bags - 42 gallon;;Whole Foods;;;;;123;;;;
    7-Up;Unfiled;King Soopers;Piece;0;0;;22;false;false;1;false;1
    Ace bandage;Unfiled;King Soopers;Piece;0;0;;7;false;false;1;false;1
    Advil;Unfiled;King Soopers;Piece;0;0;;4;false;false;1;false;1

It appears that when an item is assigned to more than one store, it gets a separate line in the export. Is that how I'd go about adding items to additional stores in Excel? Duplicate the line, change the store name and aisle number on the duplicate line? And then once I've done that, will that correctly re-import back into SM?

Is there documentation of the formats and the process somewhere that I've missed for this specific requirement?

Thanks in advance from a Shopping Manager fan and his sister!

Cheers,
    Don
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    You are right about the export format. Alternative shops are on an extra line, where only item name, shop name and aisle is set. The rest is set to nothing. From the docs:

If you are importing an item, that already is in the current database and the shop or category in the import data is different than in the database, it will be treated as alternative shop or virtual category. In this case all fields are being ignored that are irrelevant for an alternative shop (everything besides shop, price and aisle) or virtual category (everything besides category).
    Here is some more information:

Assigning_a_new_shop_to_all_or_many_items

Import
    That's great, thanks! I think she'll like that as a Christmas present - more than anything I can think to get her in a store. It'll take time to put the aisle numbers in on the duplicate line, but it's nice to know that the import will work, and get her all set with her two new stores!

Any chance you might produce Shopping Manager for Android? I'm using an EVO now, and the best shopping program there isn't as sophisticated as SM, or as polished or user friendly.

There sure are a lot more Android phones out there than Palm Pre's! $$$!

Thanks!
    Don
    I was about to point to the same info from the official website, for your sister. I used that information to import almost 1000 items from an old HandyShopper database (PalmOS).

For you, keep an eye out for new webOS devices coming in 2011. Android does have lots of new phones, but they just don't offer the elegance and usefulness of webOS. Stay tuned!
    - Alan
    Palm III, Palm Vx, Palm TX, Palm Pre (Sprint), Palm Pre3(AT&T/ebay)
    I'm certainly open to looking at whatever HPalm comes out with. I hate to admit it, as a serious smartphone user, but the *apps* are really appealing, and I don't know how webOS will catch up. Then again I guess Shopping Manager demonstrates that it's quality, not quantity, that counts sometimes.

Here's hoping that HP comes out with something to keep all the rest on their toes, and something with far better performance and hardware build quality than Palm's initial efforts with the Pre and Pixi.

In the mean time, it sure would be nice to have Shopping Manager for Android!!

Cheers,
    Don
    Everything in the app is really easy to do one-handed except getting to the edit screen. You can tap and then tap again on edit, but since I tend to hold the device in my left hand, the icon/menu are way over there. So there's the gesture tap, but it takes two hands. Could something like the double tap in the price section or a hold tap be added to access it?

It took me a while to get used to this app 'cause I never used Handy Shopper, but it finally clicked that it's more of a database than a new list you create every time. Idk, it's a different approach, I guess, but now that I've wrapped my brain around it,, it's a lot more efficient.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donfergusonjr View Post
    Any chance you might produce Shopping Manager for Android? I'm using an EVO now, and the best shopping program there isn't as sophisticated as SM, or as polished or user friendly.
    We do not have the resources to develop for more platforms, sorry. This is easier for games, because they have a special interface anyway and can build on the same gfx layers on different platforms. Productivity apps have to be rewritten from scratch more or less, if you want to have the platform look and feel.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Everything in the app is really easy to do one-handed except getting to the edit screen. You can tap and then tap again on edit, but since I tend to hold the device in my left hand, the icon/menu are way over there. So there's the gesture tap, but it takes two hands. Could something like the double tap in the price section or a hold tap be added to access it?
    Good point. I will put it on the wish list.