Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    I purchased 2.0.1 from the app catalog and found it similar to HS but have the a minor irritating issue and perhaps I'm simply doing something wrong. Or it may have something to do with errors that pop up requesting that I allow reporting the problem via e-mail.

I can't seem to find an easy way to deselect an alternative shop when I find that the item is not available at that store. I would have thought that selecting the blank area or selecting the same shop might deselect it, but that is not the case.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    If you want to get rid of an alternative shop, you have 2 possibilities:

1. Edit Item View
    In the Edit Item View, swipe the alternative shop to the left or right.

2. Action
    With the "assign alternative shop" action, deselect the item.

Regarding the error: We had a couple of reports like this, but no reproducable case yet. Could you please try to reproduce the error and provide detailed steps?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    If you want to get rid of an alternative shop, you have 2 possibilities:

1. Edit Item View
    In the Edit Item View, swipe the alternative shop to the left or right.
    Thanks. This may sound pathetic, but I thought of that after waking in the middle of the night. The webos ui is new to me and the easy stuff is so easy that it eludes me for a bit. Thanks for your patience.

Regarding errors: I don't see a problem. The program just notifies me that an error occurred and asked if I want to send and e-mail. I said no a couple times, then allowed to send one a couple.

Sorry I could not be more specific.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Well, these errors, that suggest you should contact us, should not happen.

If you find a way to reproduce those, please let us know, because we want to fix them.

Thanks!
    Well, these errors, that suggest you should contact us, should not happen.

If you find a way to reproduce those, please let us know, because we want to fix them.

Thanks!
    I've tried to actually use the list rather than experiment and have identified when the error happens. It happens each and every time I assign an alternative shop, without fail.

Also, after spending a half hour building the list, I switched apps and when I went back to it it was a frozen white screen. I exited the program, and when I restarted it all my work was lost. I only had the first three items that I experimented with yesterday.

IIRC, prior to switching apps, I tried to copy an item but nothing seemed to happen. I don't know if that helps.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    This should not happen. Until now, Shopping Manager never lost data or froze. :-(

Could you please mail us your database and provide examples, how we can reproduce the errors?

You can find the database, when you connect your phone via USB to your PC and navigate to directory

.app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.de.vivalv.software.shoppingmanager_0

on the Palm USB drive.

There should be one file with ending ".db". If you don't see the .app-storage folder, then you probably have to enable hidden folders in Windows Explorer.

I guess, your database is not OK and so Shopping Manager was not able to write the data to it. So, everything you entered was probably not saved.

I apologize for your lost work. We always do everything in our power, that this does not happen.

When we are able to examine your database and to get the same errors as you, I can give more info and probably repair your database.

Please mail to: software(at)vivalv.de

Thanks for your help!
    I already deleted the remaining database before reading your reply. The new list seems to work OK but every now and then I get the error message when adding an alternative shop. The few times it's happened I exited and restarted my phone and it didn't lose data. If I have a catastrophe again, I'll send the database to you.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    You should not have to restart your phone, if that error occurs. Restarting Shopping Manager should be enough.

BTW: Do you have enough free storage on your USB drive?

Please, if you ever find out, how to reproduce the error message, let us know. We do not like to have bugs in our software. ;-)
    I still have 14.2GB. The phone is pretty new.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerstg View Post
    I still have 14.2GB. The phone is pretty new.
    OK, this is good. We had one case, where available storage was a problem.
    Although I purchased Shopping Manager some time ago, I'm only now beginning to use it. I was patiently waiting for the multiple stores/aisles/prices functionality, thanks for the update!

I noticed one thing right away, and thought I'd mention it as a potential future improvement.

As I said, I will use Shopping Manager to track prices, and therefore use the software to tell me what store has the lowest total price for the things on my list. In order to accomplish this, I need to be vigilant in keeping my prices up to date when I shop.

The issue I've discovered is that changing a price, while certainly not hard, is somewhat involved...a total of 5 steps: 1)tap the "i" button, 2)tap edit, 3) tap the price field, 4) change the price, 5) tap done.

Most fields of the database are edited this way, but I see that you did make a shortcut to the quantity field when tapping the "i" button. Would it be possible to make certain fields display on there own button? My thought would be that the "major" fields...price, quantity, aisle, etc. would be displayed as the text label of a button, and if you wanted to edit that field you would hit that button. To keep the interface uncluttered, the other fields that are edited less often,...notes, tax1, tax2 would still be changed in the current edit window with the full list of fields.

Just a though for increased usability. Thanks for writing a great program.

MRH
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Thanks for your suggestions. You are right, usability can be improved always.

I have one small shortcut for you: Instead of i + Edit, tap and hold Gesture area and then tap anywhere on the item. Also, maybe it is easier to back-swipe in the edit view, instead of tapping "Done".

Making some of the properties of an item in the main list a tap target is not so easy, because they are so small. That is the disadvantage of the finger touch operation. With a stylus, this would be no problem. Palm even defines minimum sizes of objects that can be tapped.

That said, I have noted your request and we will think about ways to improve that usage scenario.
    I think what he's taking about is when you press the I having price etc come up on that list. Sounds like it might be a good option.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Another capability of Handy Shopper that should be added is "Best Buy".

It is basically unit price calculator for items not in the data base.

There is at least one separate app in the App Catalog that only does this. It would be another good selling point to have it included in Shopping Manager.

---

Also don't forget the auto unit cost calculator that HS has, that I mentioned before.

When you enter a Unit like "72 Oz" and a cost like $4.99, HS calculates a unit cost for you, in this case $0.0693 (units would be $/Oz). HS discards the non-numeric portion and divides the numeric portion into the total cost to calculate a unit cost. This is great for cost comparisons for items in the data base. This calc is only done when both Unit and Price are entered or edited.

---

Also some templates for databases for other lists, like movie lists would be helpful.

You are fast approaching all the capabilities of good old Handy Shopper. I'm now moving to Shopping Manager and leaving HS behind.

Glad to be using a program that was designed for a finger instead of one designed for a stylus.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Best Buy and Unit Cost are already on the list for after 2.1.0.

Do you mean by list template lists from other people to download?

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I think what he's taking about is when you press the I having price etc come up on that list. Sounds like it might be a good option.
    Noted. But that menu is already were big.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Best Buy and Unit Cost are already on the list for after 2.1.0.

Do you mean by list template lists from other people to download?

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Great news! Looking forward to 2.1.0!

Perhaps an example movie data base included with the package.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    On the topic of possible improvements: it would be nice if a copied items would copy the alternative shops instead of just the primary shop. In HS, I used to find it easier to copy a similar item and simply edit the name. This often happens with items of different sizes, colors, etc.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerstg View Post
    On the topic of possible improvements: it would be nice if a copied items would copy the alternative shops instead of just the primary shop. In HS, I used to find it easier to copy a similar item and simply edit the name. This often happens with items of different sizes, colors, etc.
    It should do that. If not, it's a bug.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Great news! Looking forward to 2.1.0!

Perhaps an example movie data base included with the package.
    Be careful, I said AFTER 2.1.0. ;-)

2.1.0 will go into beta (as 2.0.5) possibly today.

About ready-to-use databases, like movies: It would be great, if people would share their databases as .csv. We could make them downloadable from our web site or even from within SM.

But it should be noted, that SM really is not a database app. Everything is kept in memory and sorted in memory. So, there are some limits for the size of databases. For example, you cannot have 10000 items. Sorting would be so slow, that webOS would cancel the operation.