Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    hm, I'm happily in search of a great tool to help me in my nasent GTD-ness. I've been using the Pre's Tasks app, which has been sufficing, but I'd love to be able to find something in which any particular list item can be part of two or more lists; one example would be an item could be in a list of steps to complete some project, but it should also be in a list based on context, i.e., "Can only be done when at home".

So I'll DL Note To Self (NTS), to be used perhaps in conjunction with Evernote or possibly also my email, as NTS allows you to set up not only a primary recipient (say, your Evernote account's email address), but also an optional cc address (say, my email account).

But I've also gone to cursorily check out GQueues, as suggested by a poster above. It just may be the closest-to-perfection list manager I've found yet...Mind, I've only pretty much viewed the video and logged in once...but it has lists, and lists of lists...but also!!! it has tags!! And you can click to view all the items that have any particular tag!...so I'm envisioning...there'll be a list of project steps/items...and each of those items can be tagged with any relevant contexts...like Home, In-Front-of-Computer, Calls, Emails...hm...gotta figure out what makes sense as a list and what makes sense as a context...

But then again, I'm a GTD neophyte...

Thanks all!

And for the NTS author, thanks especially!
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonshumway View Post
    Heh, special enough to keep your fifth icon off the bar

Any feedback definitely appreciated. (I'm the author.)
    Howdy!

After clicking around and reading more about GQueues, one restriction that it appears to have that Evernote does not is that GQueues' add-via-email function requires that it comes from a particular email address. Can you include a preferences option for an optional "From" address/account? Can that be fed into the new-email form that gets called up? Maybe it needs to be an account in my email app (which I can, of course, add). If your app'll require that that from address/account is the default account...Hm, I probably won't be able to make that switch...

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    @gordon

I never thought about that using an app like yours to email evernote. I am really starting to dig evernote, especially since I setup my and my wife's Pres to use the same account. Makes sharing notes with each other nice and easy. But it is so SLOW to create a new note.

My one question, if you know, is can you send all your notes to one specific note or maybe change based on subject. I'd love to have a note for "random thoughts" or whatever. Regardless, I think you may have another download this week.
    nyquistjack: thanks for the feedback. I just want to make sure I understand your suggestion, though. Are you saying you'd like different subject lines? b/c that's actually possible -- you just "tap here to change you settings" and then update. Or are you saying you'd like it within the email program?
    @gordon

I never thought about that using an app like yours to email evernote. I am really starting to dig evernote, especially since I setup my and my wife's Pres to use the same account. Makes sharing notes with each other nice and easy. But it is so SLOW to create a new note.

My one question, if you know, is can you send all your notes to one specific note or maybe change based on subject. I'd love to have a note for "random thoughts" or whatever. Regardless, I think you may have another download this week.
    BTW - you can also change the recipient's email address to be your wife's rather than your own. Then, you could call the program "note to wife" and be able to communicate with her with one button

(Or you can cc' her as you send to evernote -- also supported).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    hm, I'm happily in search of a great tool to help me in my nasent GTD-ness. I've been using the Pre's Tasks app, which has been sufficing, but I'd love to be able to find something in which any particular list item can be part of two or more lists; one example would be an item could be in a list of steps to complete some project, but it should also be in a list based on context, i.e., "Can only be done when at home".

So I'll DL Note To Self (NTS), to be used perhaps in conjunction with Evernote or possibly also my email, as NTS allows you to set up not only a primary recipient (say, your Evernote account's email address), but also an optional cc address (say, my email account).

But I've also gone to cursorily check out GQueues, as suggested by a poster above. It just may be the closest-to-perfection list manager I've found yet...Mind, I've only pretty much viewed the video and logged in once...but it has lists, and lists of lists...but also!!! it has tags!! And you can click to view all the items that have any particular tag!...so I'm envisioning...there'll be a list of project steps/items...and each of those items can be tagged with any relevant contexts...like Home, In-Front-of-Computer, Calls, Emails...hm...gotta figure out what makes sense as a list and what makes sense as a context...

But then again, I'm a GTD neophyte...

Thanks all!

And for the NTS author, thanks especially!
    Hey Shadow,

Were you able to get NTS to work with Evernote?

Or are you saying that your default email "from" address is not the one evernote expects, and so you'd like to change the default sending address in the NTS preferences?
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    I'm trying to understand this app. I can't see how emailing myself will help me become more efficient. My email account receives a ton of mail daily, so I'd have to sort through it all. Can someone shed some light?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    I'm trying to understand this app. I can't see how emailing myself will help me become more efficient. My email account receives a ton of mail daily, so I'd have to sort through it all. Can someone shed some light?
    Hey PreGk,

That depends on how you take notes. If you're the type who sends him(her?)self notes by email, then this app will make your life easier by cutting down the total time for each note by 15-20 seconds since it'll only require one button press and not 5.

I know what you mean about getting a lot of email. I do too. So what I did was actually set up an email address that's separate from my "regular" one, and I check that one every-so-often as my "inbox for note".

Of course, if you're not the type who sends him(her?)self notes by email, honestly, it may not be a good app for you. I think everyone's workflow is a bit different. I'm glued to email all day, so it works well for me and for Evernote users. But if your preferred method of writing down reminders is post-its, SMS, using RTM, or - I dunno - a dictating machine, then those apps may be more suitable.

You can always try it out and report back to me

Maybe somebody else can chime in here...
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Appreciate the comments. I'm actually exploring Evernote right now, to see if it is something that I can make work for me. If I can, I will use your app to send the notes to Evernote. Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    Appreciate the comments. I'm actually exploring Evernote right now, to see if it is something that I can make work for me. If I can, I will use your app to send the notes to Evernote. Thanks again.
    No prob -- please keep us updated and let me know if it works for you. Definitely want to make the app better.

Thanks!
    Hey Shadow,

Were you able to get NTS to work with Evernote?

Or are you saying that your default email "from" address is not the one evernote expects, and so you'd like to change the default sending address in the NTS preferences?
    Hey there,

I was totally able to get NTS to work with Evernote.

What doesn't quite work is NTS with GQueues. That's 'cause GQueues needs the email containing the note to come from the gmail address that's associated with my GQueues account, and the two email accounts I have set up on my Pre are a Yahoo account and an Exchange account.

So...this could potentially be solved from either of two directions. The best solution would be GQueues building in a new feature to allow incoming email from whatever email address besides that associated gmail account (and I've already requested today that they do that enhancement).

A second solution would be to be able to specify in NTS' preferences what From address to send the email with...

...'course, since I don't know how NTS is set up, maybe it just uses whatever the Pre's Default Email Account is...which won't work out for me, 'cause my Yahoo address needs to be my default address... So to solve it from the NTS side, I think I'd need to either be able to enter an arbitrary email address to be the From address (say, in NTS' preferences), or to be able to specify a specific email account (that's set up in my Pre's email app) to be the From account.

For that last solution, I'd then have to meet NTS part-way and add the necessary gmail account to my email app...which I *could* do, but otherwise wouldn't be my first choice...

I hope that makes things a bit clearer.

Thanks for listening!
    I too use NTS with evernote. When logged in, go to 'account settings'. The email at the bottom is what you should address your NTS notes to.
    nyquistjack: thanks for the feedback. I just want to make sure I understand your suggestion, though. Are you saying you'd like different subject lines? b/c that's actually possible -- you just "tap here to change you settings" and then update. Or are you saying you'd like it within the email program?
    I was asking more about Evernote than your app. Example:

I have a note in evernote called "Random Thoughts." I wanted to know if Evernote had the ability to add a note received from an email to be routed to a particluer note. So I would put "Random Thoughts" in the subject and then Evernote would drop it into that existing note instead of creating a new note.

I know this isn't a function of your app, but I was wondering if you know if its possible to do that. If it IS possible then something I would request in your app is a drop down list of user defined subjects.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post

A second solution would be to be able to specify in NTS' preferences what From address to send the email with...
    Shadow:

I'll add that as a feature to an upcoming release if I can figure out how .

A few people have asked for that.
    I was asking more about Evernote than your app. Example:

I have a note in evernote called "Random Thoughts." I wanted to know if Evernote had the ability to add a note received from an email to be routed to a particluer note. So I would put "Random Thoughts" in the subject and then Evernote would drop it into that existing note instead of creating a new note.

I know this isn't a function of your app, but I was wondering if you know if its possible to do that. If it IS possible then something I would request in your app is a drop down list of user defined subjects.

Thanks!
    Hey Nyquistjack,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether that's possible. Maybe another Evernote expert can chime in. To be honest, I'm actually not the biggest fan of Evernote -- it doesn't give me enough ways to categorize and cross-reference content, unlike MS OneNote, of which I'm a huge fan

Either way, I'll leave this up here for any other Evernote users to give feedback about. I think that would be a great idea for them to implement and can definitely see how it'd be useful.
    Being able to send a note to multiple email addresses would be cool. I can send one to work and home etc. Still an awsome app. Best App I have downloaded so far. Period.

Shadow:

I'll add that as a feature to an upcoming release if I can figure out how .

A few people have asked for that.
    Hey Nyquistjack,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether that's possible. Maybe another Evernote expert can chime in. To be honest, I'm actually not the biggest fan of Evernote -- it doesn't give me enough ways to categorize and cross-reference content, unlike MS OneNote, of which I'm a huge fan

Either way, I'll leave this up here for any other Evernote users to give feedback about. I think that would be a great idea for them to implement and can definitely see how it'd be useful.
    I am still trying to figure out if I like evernote. The thing I like about it is being able to access notes on my pre, my wife's pre, my home PC, or anywhere with a browser. I find that VERY useful. But organization is a major concern of mine so I definitely understand what you mean. Plus...its pokey on the pre.

I am a huge one note fan too. I saw someone post a sample application in .net that let you access read only information from one note. Looked pretty wild. The ability to do oneNote from a device would rock.

Thanks for responding though. It's great seeing a developer care enough about their work to "talk" with users on a regular basis. You and DanPLC rock like that
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Being able to send a note to multiple email addresses would be cool. I can send one to work and home etc. Still an awsome app. Best App I have downloaded so far. Period.
    Vacc:

It actually is possible

Just separate the addresses with a comma.

When I release an update, I will make this clearer.
    I am still trying to figure out if I like evernote. The thing I like about it is being able to access notes on my pre, my wife's pre, my home PC, or anywhere with a browser. I find that VERY useful. But organization is a major concern of mine so I definitely understand what you mean. Plus...its pokey on the pre.

I am a huge one note fan too. I saw someone post a sample application in .net that let you access read only information from one note. Looked pretty wild. The ability to do oneNote from a device would rock.

Thanks for responding though. It's great seeing a developer care enough about their work to "talk" with users on a regular basis. You and DanPLC rock like that
    Dude, thank YOU for using my app and being kind enough to take the time to discuss it on an online forum!

I hope the OneNote thing on the Pre comes to fruition. I definitely know what you mean about Evernote being completely ubiquitous -- can't beat that. For me, it's just not... right.

Thanks again for downloading and using NTS!
    how does note to self compare to jotter app?
    Evernote is great & I use it alot, but my favorite program is on the web - gopingme.com. I can set up reminders to myself (I'm very forgetful) that I can get as emails or text messages. If I can't take care of it then, I can reschedule it for a later time. It can remind me 1 time, daily, monthly or anything I set it up to do. It's a really great web app. There isn't an app for the pre yet but I can do everything on the web thru the pre. The reminders I set can be done thru email, text, twitter or web. Check it out.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast