Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    There is no App yet, but if any of you are SU users, you know what a wonderful time waster it is. I sent them a message on the development site, telling them I would be willing to pay for an App. I made sure to mention the Pre and WebOS, as an iCrap App is pretty obvious.

I got a response today that they will "be getting to this, for sure. )"

I'm glad to hear that, but maybe if more WebOS users ask, we can see it sooner than later. Below is the link to the Contact page and the Download page, if you have yet to use it.

StumbleUpon.com: Contact StumbleUpon

StumbleUpon.com: Personalized Recommendations to Help You Discover the Best of the Web
    Bump. I was going to start a new thread but the forums suggested this as a similar thread.

I propose we start a campaign to get StumbleUpon to write us an app (or at least provide an independent developer with an API. Not yet, I guess.) We can hit up their Facebook page or mention it to them on Twitter (@StumbleUpon)

How about it?!

-Andrew
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by acaplinger View Post
    Bump. I was going to start a new thread but the forums suggested this as a similar thread.

I propose we start a campaign to get StumbleUpon to write us an app (or at least provide an independent developer with an API. Not yet, I guess.) We can hit up their Facebook page or mention it to them on Twitter (@StumbleUpon)

How about it?!

-Andrew
    I already developed and released a free app like this called Web Hopper (see the link in the my signature). I created it because I'm also a huge fan of StumbleUpon. It uses the Digg.com service to allow you to go to random websites (what I call "hopping"), choose categories, save bookmarks, rate web sites, and comment on them. You can also hop to random sites based upon keyword searches and domain names.

The reason I'm using Digg is because StumbleUpon doesn't have an open API; however I find it works fine using Digg.

Right now the rating and comment functionality is broken because of the recent upgrade to Digg's service. For the past few days, their whole API was completely down. Yesterday the API was restored (Known Issues | Digg Developers); however the authentication using version 1.0 of the API is still broken.

But anyway, the core functionality of Web Hopper is still functioning. I'll have to see if Digg is going to fix the authentication piece. If not, I may have to modify the app to use version 2.0 of the API.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Thanks, DanPLC, I'll check out Web Hopper.

I really want an official Stumble app, though, because they know my interests and only show me sites based on those interests. I've found I actually use it as a bookmark engine because I can search amongst just the pages I've liked.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by acaplinger View Post
    Thanks, DanPLC, I'll check out Web Hopper.

I really want an official Stumble app, though, because they know my interests and only show me sites based on those interests. I've found I actually use it as a bookmark engine because I can search amongst just the pages I've liked.
    Before the last update to Digg, it actually did a good job of only hopping to sites of your interest. There were tons of categories people could choose from (configurable in Web Hopper) and if you only checked the ones you're interested in, it would generate pretty good results. However the latest version of Digg has reduced the number of categories dramatically, so it may not work as well now. I'm not sure why they made this change.

Also the app allows you to specify key words to search for. So if you want to find a random site on a very specific topic, you can do this.

And like I mentioned ratings and adding comments are broken right now, but still try it out and see what you think.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami