1.    #1  
    I'm not asking about the homebrew or app catalog stuff. I'm just curious if the email and browser are the only things that utilize the battery draining wifi?
    Wifi does not drain the battery; it uses less battery during data transfer than evdo. It drains more battery while idle, but the phone automatically shuts off wifi when the screen goes off.

No apps insist on using wifi over evdo, but every app will use wifi if you are connected.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks - Good info! Something is really blowing through the power though. Not the best signal at home, but it didn't kill my sanyo or lg phones. Hopefully the webOS can adress some of the signal acquisition and retention issues I'm having.
    Searching for a signal if you don't have wifi enabled at home will definitely drain battery power like mad.

Also, I suspect the problems are sprints fault rather than webos's. Maybe when the pre comes to verizon we will see dramatic differences.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    Also, I suspect the problems are sprints fault rather than webos's. Maybe when the pre comes to verizon we will see dramatic differences.
    Actually I'm comparing the same site and Sprint signal for the last ten years. The very first palm phone, the Kyocera 6035 was one of the best as far as grabbing and keeping a real signal, I was hoping for the same on the pre... but I can categorically state that it performs poorly with weak signals.