Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Following your instructions here (previous page of posts), I have retrieved the database file called 000000000000009e.db from my phone and am ready to move to the latest beta, which I will stick with until the app catalog version has export to google docs.

I have also emailed my data to myself in the event something wrong happens.

So, to move to the 3.0 beta, do I remove my current PreWare version before installing 3.0 Beta? Your announcement on the previous page states you can't use your old data, I got that, but does that just mean go ahead and update to 3.0 and your icon will change to read "Beta" across it and your version will upgrade and your data will be erased? Then you can copy the data back in there from the previous version, being careful to follow your instructions related to the name of the file?

Or does it mean you have to erase the old version and start over with 3.0 beta then copy your old database in there, again making sure to keep the database name straight as you outlined?

Also, when in the Pre retrieving the database, I noticed the following directories which presumably are old Miles or Myles directories, can they be deleted?

file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.tigers.app.milez_0

file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.tigers.app.milez_0

They are both empty.

Thank you!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  2.    #102  
    You can have both version 0.2.5 and 0.3.0 installed at the same time, since they use a different appId.

Go ahead and install 0.3.0, then replace its database with the old one.

And, yes those are directories from old versions.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Thanks, I have both versions running on my Pre, with the same data in both. I will next delete the older version.

I really like the export to google docs, worked perfectly. I would suggest that you have the ability to export regularly in the background according to the user's desires:

1. Frequency: daily, weekly, monthly, each Sunday (or whichever), every month on the 1st (or whichever) are some options that come to mind.

2. Every x number of trips

3. At those times in 1 and 2, what time of day, maybe this matters, not sure.

4. Is it possible to additionally export the database file itself? In those cases where a user might like to have back data on their phone, this is a useful archive mechanism to allow data to be restored in the even of a catastrophic failure.

5. Finally, when you export to google docs, can you specify a folder within google docs to place the exported files? Beginning with the end in mind, I can see my google docs filling up with all kinds of files (already have several), and it would be helpful to have all these in a single folder by themselves, automatically.

One issue I found with the beta version is that it does not show in universal search as I start typing m y l e s. The older version is found, and perhaps they conflict here? Not sure, I am going to wait to delete the old one for a couple days. This still happens following a re-boot of my Pre.

Finally, a tip for your users: Until this great application gets geo reminders to add finish miles/times, use GeoStrings (also here) to set your reminder to add those items. I have a favorite GeoString I set when I start a business trip that reminds me when I arrive at the end of the trip (usually my home office). I simply activate the GeoString and go. Nice.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Thanks, I have both versions running on my Pre, with the same data in both. I will next delete the older version.

I really like the export to google docs, worked perfectly. I would suggest that you have the ability to export regularly in the background according to the user's desires:

1. Frequency: daily, weekly, monthly, each Sunday (or whichever), every month on the 1st (or whichever) are some options that come to mind.

2. Every x number of trips

3. At those times in 1 and 2, what time of day, maybe this matters, not sure.
    Good suggestions, and essentially what I was thinking - # days or # trips or both. Thanks.

4. Is it possible to additionally export the database file itself? In those cases where a user might like to have back data on their phone, this is a useful archive mechanism to allow data to be restored in the even of a catastrophic failure.
    I don't believe this is possible currently. Using the USB mode is the only way I know of. There are some "folder replication" apps that can automagically copy files when the device is in USB mode.

5. Finally, when you export to google docs, can you specify a folder within google docs to place the exported files? Beginning with the end in mind, I can see my google docs filling up with all kinds of files (already have several), and it would be helpful to have all these in a single folder by themselves, automatically.
    Also a good suggestion. I doubt that it's possible with the current export method (sends a CSV file to Google), but as I get more familiar with the Google API, I'll keep this in mind.

There's also the possibility of import/export of data to my own webserver - I don't know if I want to get into that, though, and the whole being responsible for user data thing.

One issue I found with the beta version is that it does not show in universal search as I start typing m y l e s. The older version is found, and perhaps they conflict here? Not sure, I am going to wait to delete the old one for a couple days. This still happens following a re-boot of my Pre.
    Interesting. Just tried it on my phone and it finds the beta, but not the app catalog version. Beta was installed first, here.

I simply activate the GeoString and go. Nice.
    Nice. The GeoString functionality is essentially what I'd like to add to Myles. You give/choose your destination and the app reminds you when you get there.
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti Anastasia View Post
    I was going to wait until the end of Feb to get Myles from the app catalog, but decided to export and go for it. I saw something odd in my export that I wanted to let you know about.

The third to the last db column head is OPEN and for my most recent trip, OPEN is true. The columns are out of whack, it is like the OPEN column got inserted just for that last trip. For previous trips, the rate data is in the OPEN column and the total is in the RATE column.
    I think what is happening is that the database is being read before the last trip is committed to the database, so that record is still "open." This happens because database access in webOS is asynchronous - you can't control exactly when database reads/writes occur.

I'll fix this issue, along with some other export issues (the extra date formatted column, providing better column headings, etc.) in the next update.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haeffb View Post
    Interesting. Just tried it on my phone and it finds the beta, but not the app catalog version. Beta was installed first, here.
    In my case, I don't have the app catalog version installed, but rather the 2 versions of the beta, the first one installed is the one before you placed "beta" across the icon. The second one installed, and the one not showing up in universal search, is the 3.0 (latest) beta.

There's also the possibility of import/export of data to my own webserver - I don't know if I want to get into that, though, and the whole being responsible for user data thing.
    I don't think you want to do this.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Sigh. What can go wrong, will go wrong. Looks like I didn't get the email address correct in the app. I'll make sure to update that. In the meantime, you can post here or use the correct email address of tigercountrysoftware at gmail.

As for losing data on a webOSDoctor - yes, that's going to happen. The app does not sync anything to anywhere. The only way to save data as of today is to export. You cannot import data into the app. At least not yet.

The "text" that you saw in the email is in comma-separated-value(CSV) format. You can copy that text out of the email and save it in a text file with a .csv extension. Excel will open that text file with the data sorted into columns.

Finally, if you downloaded the current "beta" version, it has a new appID, so it uses a different database than the app catalog version. You can't transfer data from beta to app catalog version or vice versa.

Your Google account gives you access to Google Documents. From your Gmail page, click the "Documents" link in the upper left. The data should be saved as a Google spreadsheet, which you can download as an Excel file.

See above. You have at least two options with the current export capability.

Again, sorry about the problems you're experiencing. Let me know what else I can do to help.
    OK. Thanks. I found the Google Docs. Only still a little confused onthe versions. I paid for the App version, but now I am using the homebrew beta. How should I keep getting upgrades? Through the App Catalog or Homebrew? Shouldn't they be the same program? Now that the backup is good, just need to know what version to stick with. I don't mind paying the fee. It is a daily used cool program.
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by ldpalm View Post
    OK. Thanks. I found the Google Docs. Only still a little confused onthe versions. I paid for the App version, but now I am using the homebrew beta. How should I keep getting upgrades? Through the App Catalog or Homebrew? Shouldn't they be the same program? Now that the backup is good, just need to know what version to stick with. I don't mind paying the fee. It is a daily used cool program.
    You can use either version.

The homebrew beta will be used for testing features that will end up in the app catalog. It may be less stable than the app catalog version - there is always the potential that I could screw something up and cause you to lose data. Obviously I will try to avoid that, and I do my own internal testing before releasing a beta version to insure that it doesn't happen. I will also provide info here when something major changes that could cause problems.

However, if your data is important, I'd recommend sticking with the app catalog version.

If you need the Google Docs export, then use the beta version for now and switch to the app catalog version when it is updated with the Google Docs export.

Finally, if you are, by chance, the "Logan B" who gave the app a 2-star rating in the app catalog, I'd humbly request that you reconsider the rating. If that's not you, then nevermind. Thanks.
    Sorry to bother, just checking in to see if GPS support is off the table for now...or something maybe in a future release...
  10.    #110  
    GPS is a "planned feature" at the moment. Meaning I haven't started working on it, but it's something I'd really like to include.

Still working on the export at the moment, and in order to include auto-export I've had to go back and rewrite all my database code. So, I'm sorta "between versions" at the moment. There never seems to be enough time...
    can someone walk me through the import to excel from myles. Can't seeem to get it to import so columns make sense
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanno View Post
    can someone walk me through the import to excel from myles. Can't seeem to get it to import so columns make sense
    I assume you're asking about the data from "Export by Email", which is in CSV format, like this example:

"Begin Miles","End Miles","Mileage","Purpose","Destination","Notes","Category","Vehicle","Begin Date","End Date","Total Time","Rate","Total"
    "100","200","100","","","","Unfiled","Default Vehicle","February 26, 2010 5:24:56 PM CST","February 26, 2010 5:24:56 PM CST","0 hrs 0 mins","0","$0.00"
    "100","200","100","Get stuff","Somewhere","","Unfiled","Default Vehicle","February 13, 2010 11:49:44 AM CST","February 13, 2010 11:49:44 AM CST","0 hrs 0 mins","0","$0.00"

Take that data and copy it to the clipboard. Open Excel and paste it into the spreadsheet. It will all be pasted into one column, with one row for each entry.

The trick in Excel is to use the "Text to Columns" function under the Data menu.

Select the column with your Myles data, and choose "Text to Columns". You'll get a dialog with two options "Delimited" and "Fixed". Choose "Delimited" since this is a CSV file, meaning that each column is separated (delimited) by a comma (CSV = Comma Separated Values).

Hit the "Next" button to go to the next screen in the dialog. You'll see a number of options for "Delimiter". Check "Comma" and uncheck all other possibilities (likely "Tab" is checked by default, uncheck it.)

At this point, you can just hit the "Finish" button & your data will be properly sorted into columns.
    That worked great I appreciate you helping me.

Also read briefly about exporting to google forms or docs or soemthing - anyone know about that and how to do that - maybe that would work for me as well.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Alternatively, the data you get via email with "Export via email" can be paste to a text file using notepad or (better) textpad then pick the "save as" option and force a .csv file extension then open the file using Excel.

This is how I did it before the export to google docs.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    In my case, I don't have the app catalog version installed, but rather the 2 versions of the beta, the first one installed is the one before you placed "beta" across the icon. The second one installed, and the one not showing up in universal search, is the 3.0 (latest) beta.
    I deleted the earlier beta version (before the "beta banner") and now the latest beta shows in universal search with "m y l e s".

However, with the latest beta, none of the previous mileage pass throughs are working. ie. a new trip starts with having to enter the entire beginning miles (no carry over of ending miles from previous trip) and completing the trip requires all the ending miles (no "all but the last 3 digit" are carried over).
  16.    #116  
    did you enable the autofill mileage in prefs? Your prefs don't transfer over with the new appId.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Its the simple things that get overlooked!

OK, that fixes that.

In my preferences, I set it to no alert, so by default, the app alerts me in zero minutes, to complete the final mileage.

Thank you, great app!
  18.    #118  
    Uploading version 0.3.1

This doesn't look much different than previous versions, but it's very different under the hood. It lays the groundwork for auto-export functionality; however, auto-export is not yet implemented. This also fixes the issue where some users were not having their data saved (i.e. if you close the app from the entry scene, data was not saved).

Please test thoroughly - this is a release candidate for the app catalog. Thanks!
  19.    #119  
    Ok, got a few things done over the weekend.

Version 0.3.4 adds auto-export capability. Choose a frequency of daily, weekly, bi-weekly or monthly and Myles will automatically export your data to your Google account as a spreadsheet or create an email to send. Also adds display of total mileage by vehicle/category/overall.

Auto-exports are done:

Daily at 1am
    Weekly on Sunday at 1am
    Bi-Weekly every other Sunday at 1am
    Monthly on the First at 1am

Make sure you have an email address or google account info in Prefs before turning on auto-export. Might want to try a manual export first to make sure everything is working.

Oh, and again, this is a RELEASE CANDIDATE for app catalog. For anyone using the FREE beta version, a little feedback would be appreciated. Especially if you find anything that doesn't work, but even if everything appears OK, a quick note saying so would be nice. Thanks!
  20.    #120  
    Version 0.3.5 uploaded.

Fixes Purge Data which was broken after changing all the database code. Forgot to include that.

Feel like I'm talking to myself. Is anybody in there?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast