Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    This App is the best. I just saw it in the official App Catalog and I am planning on purchasing it at the end of the Month, so I can do a fresh export for the month of Feb.

I just dropped my Pre and cracked the screen. I can't access the menu that allows me to export my data. If I run the Profile Back up and reinstall on a new phone, will all me data be lost?

Is there another way to access the menu in the upper right corner so I can export?

Thank you in advance...
  2.    #82  
    It is possible to copy the Myles database from your old device, install Myles on a new device and then replace the newly created database with the old one. Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact steps it takes to do this at the moment.

I'll try to look it up and get back to you when I get time.
    haeffb I am purchasing the app. I have used all the apps you have created and donated to agenda in the past. I never saw a donate button for myles so I purchased it. Thanks for your great work. It would be nice to add the import/export feature via google docs. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I really like this app, but I have lost my data twice now. I had to reset my Palm Pre a few weeks ago, and everything was back up except my Milez data. For some reason it all disappeared. So I started again and yesterday tried to upload the upgrade. I got an "app failed to download" message and when I tried to start the program again it told me it was not a WebOS program and would not open. Again I lost all my data.

I tried the support link and it was not working. I tried the developers web site and it says under construction. I tried leaving a review on the download link, and it says link not working.

Maybe they can help here or should I go back to pencil and pad. This is the only app I am having problems with, and as I said I use it everyday!
    He has stated that the app catalog version and the homebrew version have the same id so you will fail with that one. I just spent the 99c and bought the app catalog version and deleted the homebrew one. I have suggested the ability to import and export using google docs, and that will let you keep your data. There is a feature to allow you email the information to yourself?
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by ldpalm View Post
    I really like this app, but I have lost my data twice now. I had to reset my Palm Pre a few weeks ago, and everything was back up except my Milez data. For some reason it all disappeared. So I started again and yesterday tried to upload the upgrade. I got an "app failed to download" message and when I tried to start the program again it told me it was not a WebOS program and would not open. Again I lost all my data.

I tried the support link and it was not working. I tried the developers web site and it says under construction. I tried leaving a review on the download link, and it says link not working.

Maybe they can help here or should I go back to pencil and pad. This is the only app I am having problems with, and as I said I use it everyday!
    I apologize for the problems you're having. As I mentioned above, I made a mistake by not giving the app catalog version a new appId, which results in not being able to upgrade from the homebrew version to the appCatalog version. However, you should have still been able to download the latest homebrew version from PreWare - so I don't know exactly what happened.

As for your original issue with losing data, please clarify what you mean by "reset my Pre." If you just did a simple reset, you should have not lost any data. If you did a webOSDoctor, or did a "Partial Erase" or "Full Erase" through the Device Info reset options, all application data would be deleted.

At this point, Myles relies on the user to backup data thru the "Export Data" option in the App Menu. In the future, I plan to add additional options, including the "Google Docs" export/import mentioned by mamouton.
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by tfracs33 View Post
    This App is the best. I just saw it in the official App Catalog and I am planning on purchasing it at the end of the Month, so I can do a fresh export for the month of Feb.

I just dropped my Pre and cracked the screen. I can't access the menu that allows me to export my data. If I run the Profile Back up and reinstall on a new phone, will all me data be lost?

Is there another way to access the menu in the upper right corner so I can export?

Thank you in advance...
    You can copy the database from your Pre by putting it in USB mode. Use your file manager of choice (i.e. Windows Explorer) to view the .app-storage folder. This folder is hidden - you'll have to turn on the ability to view hidden files/folders in Explorer.

Under .app-storage, you'll find a directory called:

file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.tigers.app.myles_0

In that directory will be a file with a name like:

0000000000000036.db

The actual numbers may vary, but there will be a .db file. That is your Myles data. Copy that file to your PC.

When you get your new device, you can install Myles (be sure it's the same version as on your existing device). It will create a database in the same location.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: The new database may not have the same name. For instance instead of 0000000000000036.db, it might be 0000000000000022.db.

Rename the database from the OLD device to the database name that Myles is using on the new device. Make sure the Myles app is not running. Copy the renamed database onto the new device into the myles database directory:

file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.tigers.app.myles_0

When you next run Myles, your old data should be restored.

Steps:
    1) Copy Myles database from old device & save.
    2) Install Myles on new device.
    3) Rename old database to new database name (if different)
    4) Copy old database onto new device.
  8.    #88  
    Uploading version 0.3.0 to PreCentral today.

This version uses a new appID, so you won't be able to keep your old data (unless you do the database copy/replace procedure outlined above...).

I plan to continue to provide free beta versions here as my way of saying "thanks" to those who are testing the app. Of course, if you also choose to pay for the (likely more stable) App Catalog version, I will not complain...

Version 0.3.0 adds a Google spreadsheet export option. It's pretty bare-bones at the moment, but works. Thanks to adma84 of PreCentral for sharing his Google code!

I'm planning to add an auto-export setting so that you can enter your Google username & password in prefs, then choose to auto-export after a set period, or perhaps a set number of entries. Any thoughts on how to best implement such a feature?
    haeffb I started a trip but deleted it and the timer still went off telling me to enter mileage when no trip was available.

Edit: This happens in both beta and app version.
    Last edited by mamouton; 02/14/2010 at 01:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    The link to the forum from your beta version is broken, fyi.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    haeffb I started a trip but deleted it and the timer still went off telling me to enter mileage when no trip was available.

Edit: This happens in both beta and app version.
    Yep. This is by design. Or lack of design.

The reminders are currently not associated with a particular trip.

So you can only have one reminder right now. And if you delete a trip, the app doesn't know if you had a reminder for it or not.

I'm not sure whether it's useful to have multiple reminders - how many trips do you take at the same time?

This will all get better as the app is further developed. I want to add some GPS functionality to let you select a destination, and be reminded when you get there, for instance. But for now, that's the way it is.
    Oh I see, I only take one trip at a time that I would track. Maybe putting a feature in the program to delete the reminder as well when you delete the trip. I like the export function and I am looking forward to you putting the import function in. Several apps I use have that function so I make sure I export those apps on a regular basis so I have updated information if I have to doctor my Pre. That makes it less painful.
  13.    #93  
    Do you think import is important for this app? The way I see it being used is to capture data that would be exported to a spreadsheet for further processing/printing/archival. I don't know that I'd ever need to bring data back to the device...
    I personally have doctored my pre several times and I would like to keep that information together on my pre. Yes with the new export that makes it easy to keep track of the information, but like the fuel app. I would want to keep the information together. I would like it I can't speak for others but I would like to be able to keep the information together in the event that I have to doctor my pre halfway through the month I can import the information back in and then do an export at the end of the month. I don't know how hard it would be to implement but it seems to be done with ease in fuel, and checkbook. I now use those apps regularly because I know I won't lose my data.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I personally am OK with an export to the cloud and don't care if I can see older data on my phone.

I think other things are more important, like selectable purpose and destination from a drop down that also allows a new entry and a check mark to either make that new entry one of the selectable in the future (a one time trip or will this be repeated) then make the selectable lists editable in the preferences.

But, it is already a hugely beneficial application!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    I was going to wait until the end of Feb to get Myles from the app catalog, but decided to export and go for it. I saw something odd in my export that I wanted to let you know about.

The third to the last db column head is OPEN and for my most recent trip, OPEN is true. The columns are out of whack, it is like the OPEN column got inserted just for that last trip. For previous trips, the rate data is in the OPEN column and the total is in the RATE column.

"id","begMiles","endMiles","mileage","purpose","destination","notes","category","vehicle","date","da teformat","endDate","timeDiff","open","Rate","Total"
    "14","64582.0","64614","32","","Larrabee","","Cookdate","Moby","February 15, 2010 8:05:47 AM EST","Feb 15, 2010","February 15, 2010 6:05:11 PM EST","9 hrs 59 mins","true","0.5","$16.00"
    "13","64572.0","64582.0","10","","Shaws","","Supplies","Moby","February 13, 2010 12:37:33 PM EST","Feb 13, 2010","February 13, 2010 1:38:16 PM EST","1 hrs 0 mins","0.5","$5.00"

I'm having trouble replicating the error, subsequent exports give me the correct column heads/data. I know that when I did the first export, I dismissed Myles while the data was sending. But I did that again, and it didn't make a difference.

I re-exported and got the right column headings.

"id","begMiles","endMiles","mileage","purpose","destination","notes","category","vehicle","date","da teformat","endDate","timeDiff","Rate","Total"
    "14","64582.0","64614","32","","Larrabee","","Cookdate","Moby","February 15, 2010 8:05:47 AM EST","Feb 15, 2010","February 15, 2010 6:05:11 PM EST","9 hrs 59 mins","0.5","$16.00"
    "13","64572.0","64582.0","10","","Shaws","","Supplies","Moby","February 13, 2010 12:37:33 PM EST","Feb 13, 2010","February 13, 2010 1:38:16 PM EST","1 hrs 0 mins","0.5","$5.00"
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haeffb View Post
    I apologize for the problems you're having. As I mentioned above, I made a mistake by not giving the app catalog version a new appId, which results in not being able to upgrade from the homebrew version to the appCatalog version. However, you should have still been able to download the latest homebrew version from PreWare - so I don't know exactly what happened.

As for your original issue with losing data, please clarify what you mean by "reset my Pre." If you just did a simple reset, you should have not lost any data. If you did a webOSDoctor, or did a "Partial Erase" or "Full Erase" through the Device Info reset options, all application data would be deleted.

At this point, Myles relies on the user to backup data thru the "Export Data" option in the App Menu. In the future, I plan to add additional options, including the "Google Docs" export/import mentioned by mamouton.
    Yes I did do a webOSdoctor reset. that was the first time I lost data. I had tried to export data, but it just came as a text in my e-mail and could not see a way to get it to a spread sheet or back on my cell. The 2nd time was an upgrade which said install failed and would not start the app. Then I purchased the app from the App Catalog for $1.23, started using it until tonight, I tried to upgrade to Version 3 (beta) from Homebrew, and once again my data is gone. Also tried to e-mail support through the app, but it came back as a bad address.

Anyway if I can get a version that works and does not keep losing all my record, I will be good. In the new version I am trying to export (my one new record in the latest upgrade) and its supposed to go to Google for a spreadsheet? It did not come to my Google mail, so I am not quite sure how this works?

Any chance of getting this to go to Excel?

LD
    It goes to your google docs account as a spreadsheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by haeffb View Post
    I'm planning to add an auto-export setting so that you can enter your Google username & password in prefs, then choose to auto-export after a set period, or perhaps a set number of entries. Any thoughts on how to best implement such a feature?
    I've purchased the app. Thanks! And also played around with the Beta.

One new thing I'm seeing that I don't like is that I have my Reminder preferences set to NONE, but every time I start a trip, I get a reminder that says Myles reminder set to 0 minutes. This didn't happen in prior versions. In prior versions, setting the Reminder preference to NONE resulted in no reminder (which is what I want when I set the Reminder preference to NONE), not a 0 minute reminder.

The exporting to Google Docs in the beta is great. I'd love an auto-export setting. A monthly auto-export would work for me, but others might like to do it more often. Setting it up like how the Calendar app lets you set a repeat on a calendar event would be great: week, month, ...

Import isn't important to me. I'd prefer to see custom Purposes and/or Destinations.
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by ldpalm View Post
    Yes I did do a webOSdoctor reset. that was the first time I lost data. I had tried to export data, but it just came as a text in my e-mail and could not see a way to get it to a spread sheet or back on my cell. The 2nd time was an upgrade which said install failed and would not start the app. Then I purchased the app from the App Catalog for $1.23, started using it until tonight, I tried to upgrade to Version 3 (beta) from Homebrew, and once again my data is gone. Also tried to e-mail support through the app, but it came back as a bad address.
    Sigh. What can go wrong, will go wrong. Looks like I didn't get the email address correct in the app. I'll make sure to update that. In the meantime, you can post here or use the correct email address of tigercountrysoftware at gmail.

As for losing data on a webOSDoctor - yes, that's going to happen. The app does not sync anything to anywhere. The only way to save data as of today is to export. You cannot import data into the app. At least not yet.

The "text" that you saw in the email is in comma-separated-value(CSV) format. You can copy that text out of the email and save it in a text file with a .csv extension. Excel will open that text file with the data sorted into columns.

Finally, if you downloaded the current "beta" version, it has a new appID, so it uses a different database than the app catalog version. You can't transfer data from beta to app catalog version or vice versa.

Anyway if I can get a version that works and does not keep losing all my record, I will be good. In the new version I am trying to export (my one new record in the latest upgrade) and its supposed to go to Google for a spreadsheet? It did not come to my Google mail, so I am not quite sure how this works?
    Your Google account gives you access to Google Documents. From your Gmail page, click the "Documents" link in the upper left. The data should be saved as a Google spreadsheet, which you can download as an Excel file.

Any chance of getting this to go to Excel?
    LD
    See above. You have at least two options with the current export capability.

Again, sorry about the problems you're experiencing. Let me know what else I can do to help.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast