Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    So here is the scenario for a cancel button. (This is theoretical)
    I went into the app to enter my end time and mileage but I hit Add a new trip on accident. When I swipe back without putting in any information is still saves a blank entry in the database.
    My thoughts are either if you can say if the destination field is blank don't save the record or if there was a cancel so that it wouldn't save the blank record and just send me back to the list.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    So here is the scenario for a cancel button. (This is theoretical)
    I went into the app to enter my end time and mileage but I hit Add a new trip on accident. When I swipe back without putting in any information is still saves a blank entry in the database.
    My thoughts are either if you can say if the destination field is blank don't save the record or if there was a cancel so that it wouldn't save the blank record and just send me back to the list.
    Just don't make mistakes!

(kidding) Just delete the blank record with a swipe & tap. Not really much harder than hitting a cancel button.

Oh, just had an idea for a great feature. Need a reminder, user-configurable, to update your end mileage after xx mins/hours/days/years/eons.
    Quote Originally Posted by haeffb View Post
    Just don't make mistakes!

(kidding) Just delete the blank record with a swipe & tap. Not really much harder than hitting a cancel button.

Oh, just had an idea for a great feature. Need a reminder, user-configurable, to update your end mileage after xx mins/hours/days/years/eons.
    I can see that. Its a livable "issue"
    bring on the GPS, baby! I've got a small cult of people waiting for it...
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Your version 2.0 is great! Nearly all the wants I posted were incorporated!

I have a couple suggestions:

1. I like the way you tap the clock to put the current time for the end time. I seems easy to tap that again if you are scrolling through editing notes or something, perhaps if there is already a time and the clock is tapped, you could put a confirmation step in there.

2. Can the purpose and destination fields both have a drop down list AND be able to type something new? A Realtor has a few purposes that turn up every day, like "Show Property" or "Listing Appointment" or "Closing" for example. And destinations could be specific neighborhoods or locations frequently visited, or simply "various" if you are showing several houses to a client. Both fields could benefit from being able to type in something unique, also.

And a question: Why is the emailed data separated by both quotes and commas? Would not just a comma suffice and allow the file to be saves as .csv and the data inside would not have quotes around it? I am sure I am missing something here.

Adding GPS function would be fantastic. The device could log miles and stops automatically throughout the day. For example, take a stop point if motion is stopped for 5 minutes or more. And some locations would have automatic purposes attached, for example going to work.

Nice progress on the app, thanks for doing this.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Adding GPS function would be fantastic. The device could log miles and stops automatically throughout the day. For example, take a stop point if motion is stopped for 5 minutes or more. And some locations would have automatic purposes attached, for example going to work.

Nice progress on the app, thanks for doing this.
    BAM! That would hit it!
    Add me to the appreciative users of this app. I haven't downloaded the most recent version yet, but I'll be doing that today. It looks like it contains many of the features I would like to see.

There is one other thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

When I open Milez, I see a list of trips, with Add a new trip at the bottom of the list. So I have to scroll to the end of the list to add a new trip.

What I'd prefer is that Add a New Trip be at the top of the list so I don't have to scroll to the end of my trip lists to find it and that the most recent trip is displayed first. (Trips are displayed from most recent to least recent, rather than from least recent to most recent.)

Thanks for the great work and for being so responsive to feature requests.
  8.    #48  
    Version 0.2.1 has an "Add a Trip" command menu button at the bottom of the screen (can't remember if this made it into 0.2.0). It also adds a reminder alarm that you can set to remind you to enter ending mileage (i.e. 5 min, 30 min, 1 hr, 5hrs). Should be released this weekend sometime. Perhaps even tonight.

I'll also go ahead and change the sort order to put most recent trips at the top.
  9.    #49  
    Your version 2.0 is great! Nearly all the wants I posted were incorporated!

I have a couple suggestions:

1. I like the way you tap the clock to put the current time for the end time. I seems easy to tap that again if you are scrolling through editing notes or something, perhaps if there is already a time and the clock is tapped, you could put a confirmation step in there.

2. Can the purpose and destination fields both have a drop down list AND be able to type something new? A Realtor has a few purposes that turn up every day, like "Show Property" or "Listing Appointment" or "Closing" for example. And destinations could be specific neighborhoods or locations frequently visited, or simply "various" if you are showing several houses to a client. Both fields could benefit from being able to type in something unique, also.

And a question: Why is the emailed data separated by both quotes and commas? Would not just a comma suffice and allow the file to be saves as .csv and the data inside would not have quotes around it? I am sure I am missing something here.
    I've added quotes to the .csv to avoid issues with commas in, for example, notes, purpose, destination fields. Having the quotes shouldn't impede your ability to save as a .csv and export into a spreadsheet.

I'd like to add what you're describing for purpose and destination, but the current webOS doesn't have a "combo-box" widget. I'd have to implement that functionality on my own and haven't had time to do so.

Tapping the clock icon was added as a convenience method of setting the time quickly. Tapping the date/time field will take you to a dialog to edit date/time. I wouldn't want to add a confirmation step to the icon tap, as that would essentially duplicate the dialog method. I could eliminate the ability to tap on the icon, though, if that's a widespread problem.

Thanks for the feedback.
  10.    #50  
    version 0.2.1 uploaded to PreCentral.

Adds the reminder described above. Forgot to add the descending date sort. Dang.

Looking for feedback on the new entry format. What do you think?
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I'd like to add what you're describing for purpose and destination, but the current webOS doesn't have a "combo-box" widget. I'd have to implement that functionality on my own and haven't had time to do so.
    I would definitely wait for WebOS to provide the combo-box and you spend your time innovating.

Tapping the clock icon was added as a convenience method of setting the time quickly. Tapping the date/time field will take you to a dialog to edit date/time. I wouldn't want to add a confirmation step to the icon tap, as that would essentially duplicate the dialog method. I could eliminate the ability to tap on the icon, though, if that's a widespread problem.
    Don't remove the tap feature, for sure that is very useful. I was just wondering if a time has already been set, or its been tapped once already, upon a SECOND tap could the app recognize that the time is being changed and then confirm. The tapping is very useful, but easy to tap by accident, and if you do tap by accident, you might not remember what the time was and therefore editing the time back might not be accurate.

Just some thoughts, you have a great app, one of my most used.

Thanks!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Forgot to add the descending date sort. Dang.
    My most recent trips are on the top of the list, perfect!

Looking for feedback on the new entry format. What do you think?
    I love the reminder, with the app I used on the Centro, a very good one for tracking all the right stuff, I was forever forgetting to add the finish info, this should help.

And I like the entry format, its seems tighter and cleaner and you get to all the input without scrolling as much or any.

Feature request: On the list of trips, just to the right of the total miles, can you add the total time?

Thank you once again.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Maybe a bug?

I was playing around with entering a fake starting point just to test the look and feel of the new entry. I added a reminder. A few minutes later, I deleted the entry. The reminder that was in that entry reminded me even though the entry had been deleted.
  14.    #54  
    Maybe a bug?

I was playing around with entering a fake starting point just to test the look and feel of the new entry. I added a reminder. A few minutes later, I deleted the entry. The reminder that was in that entry reminded me even though the entry had been deleted.
    That's not a bug, it's a feature!

Currently, there is only one reminder, for whichever entry you last set a reminder on. I do not check on list delete whether you have set a reminder for that entry, because I'm not really tracking which entry you set a reminder for.

Although, I could. I could even add reminders for multiple entries, if that would be useful. I just didn't think that it would be.

Also, the app puts a check in the reminder checkbox ONLY for a NEW trip for which you DID NOT CHANGE the ending mileage. If you change the ending mileage, or you come back to edit an existing trip, the reminder checkbox has to be checked manually if you want to set a reminder. I can change that behavior if it makes sense to do so, but I was trying to automate that as much as possible - i.e. when would you need to have a reminder set...

I'd like feedback on the layout of the entry scene - do the fields make sense in that order? Should vehicle/category be presented in some other fashion?

And on the list scene, I can add total time so long as I have enough screen real estate... What about the notes drawer? I added that just because I was playing around with putting drawers in a list. Useful, or get rid of it? I could add additional info into the drawer (vehicle, begin/end miles, begin/end time, total time). Or just eliminate it?

How often do you see yourself exporting data? Should the app provide an option to purge existing trip data after exporting?
    Haeffb you do great work, I am really liking your upgrades.

Maybe having the vehicle information available via the header on the main screen I just updated my fuel app and that was an addition he made really nice feature.

If a person just clicks to add a trip versus choosing the other car on the main screen. When adding a trip I think the vechicle should be at the top, rationale, some people have multiple cars and if it is at the top to select first it would be on their mind. Please keep the export data in, as we tweak our phones and sometimes have to doctor it I forget to do my backups, this would let me have the information quickly. Have you thought about adding the ability to export to google docs?
  16.    #56  
    Moving the vehicle field to the top of the data entry scene would make it easier for those who use multiple vehicles. But it would be less convenient for those who use only one.

Making the vehicle selection on the list scene might be better?
    This update is wonderful. Thank you. The descending sort and the Add a Trip buttons are huge time savers for me.

For folks who use multiple vehicles, having the vehicle field visible on the screen would be helpful to them. (I use only one vehicle.) I don't think the vehicle necessarily has to be at the top of the screen, just visible on the screen.

The data entry screen works really well for me. I will rarely use the Notes field so I wouldn't mind scrolling to get to it. What about the option of swapping the order that Vehicle and Notes are displayed, so Vehicle is visible, but you have to scroll to get to Notes? Or add the Vehicle to the Mileage Info section.

I track only business miles and the purposes of my business trips can be categorized into 6 different purposes, so I edited the Categories and I'm using Category for Purpose so I don't have to type purposes. I agree that you should wait until the WebOs provides the combo box for Purpose and Destination.

My plan is to export data at the end of every month. And I would like the option to purge data after I exported it. I'd want to it to be a separate action from exporting. Once I knew I had my data safely stored in a spreadsheet, I'd like to be able to go back to Milez and specify a date range to purge.

We can enter rate info for vehicles, but I don't see the rate info in the exported data.

This is super picky, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Is it possible to set a default for the email address for the export? (Basically, any repetitive task that can be moved to a preference is a good thing.)

I'd also like the export to go to Google docs, but the CSV is very easy to work with.

Again, thanks for the great work.
    How often do you see yourself exporting data? Should the app provide an option to purge existing trip data after exporting?
    That would be awesome. I export on a monthly basis for reimbursement so once I export an entire month I would have to go through and remove each one unless there was a purge feature.

Another question.

Can some of the fields that some people like but others would not can they be added to a view options and then the user can decide what they see or not see?
    Hey Haeffb, Thanks for putting the time into this app and following up so much. There are a couple of suggestions I'd like to make:
    - I like the idea of exports as an attachment. Saves a step we're all doing. I can manage w/out this though if it's hard to incorporate.
    - Can the date be moved to the first column of an export? The ID number doesn't seem of much value ( to me any way )
    - Let the reminder interval be any number? or add 8hrs to the list? I just need a start in the morning and an ending number at the end of the day.
    - Most importantly: I turn in daily miles, once a week that uses a rate based on what Runzheimer publishes for that month. I enter the rate but the app doesn't seem to use it for anything. Can you compute the $$$ value for each trip that's entered and have that as part of the export data?
    Here's an example of the spreadsheet I used on my Treo800w. The formatting isn't crucial, but just as an idea...

Date Start End Miles Rate Total YTD Bus Miles.
    1/1
    1/2
    1/3
    1/4
    1/5 119080 119283 203 0.265 53.795 203
    1/6 119283 119609 326 0.265 86.39 529
    1/7 119609 119669 60 0.265 15.9 589

Again, thanks for doing this. Once I changed to the Pre, I thought I'd have to go back to pencil and paper

*Edit: formatting got a little screwy once I posted. Sorry for that, but you should get the idea.
    Just had another idea while playing w/ the export data. If you can allow what data gets exported to be chosen as a preferance i.e. Date, Beg, End, and Total milage, It would be possible to just drop those 4 values into my spreadsheet that is preformated with Rate and formulas to do the math.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast