Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone,

I recently downloaded radiotime and was trying to use it in my car but it won't seem to load any station (or list the stations for that matter) on EVDO. It works perfectly on a wifi connection. Weirder still, if i start playing a station on wifi then turn it off, EVDO picks up the connection fine (i've used this trick before going on a long drive with no problems). But when i restart the app, it doesn't work anymore .

I'm on bell if that makes a difference......
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I suggest send a message to the developers, I found a few bugs my self not regarding to the EVDO issue but the fact that once RadioTime is open, the amount of cards you can open is limited.
    I use RadioTime over EVDO during my drive time with no problem. I love the app. Its like having a Tivo for your radio.
    Bill
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkenedreality View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I recently downloaded radiotime and was trying to use it in my car but it won't seem to load any station (or list the stations for that matter) on EVDO. It works perfectly on a wifi connection. Weirder still, if i start playing a station on wifi then turn it off, EVDO picks up the connection fine (i've used this trick before going on a long drive with no problems). But when i restart the app, it doesn't work anymore .

I'm on bell if that makes a difference......
    It sounds like a problem with your EVDO connection. RadioTime works just fine over EVDO. When you switch between Wifi and EVDO, there's still music in the stream buffer so it takes awhile before that buffer becomes empty again. Your best bet is to restart your phone completely and to fix your EVDO problem. Sounds like your phone might be stuck on 1xRTT and not utilizing EVDO in which case, it takes a looooong time for the menus and streams to load but they still do load.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    It sounds like a problem with your EVDO connection. RadioTime works just fine over EVDO. When you switch between Wifi and EVDO, there's still music in the stream buffer so it takes awhile before that buffer becomes empty again. Your best bet is to restart your phone completely and to fix your EVDO problem. Sounds like your phone might be stuck on 1xRTT and not utilizing EVDO in which case, it takes a looooong time for the menus and streams to load but they still do load.
    Ya, that's what i thought at first. But I've restarted my phone countless times and leaving it for hours (on both EVDO rev A and even 1xRTT only) but the menus still fail to load. also, when i do the wifi trick, the radio goes silent for a quick second or two (empty buffer queues) then it starts using EVDO (went on a two hour drive yesterday and it never stopped). Netstat (in terminal) shows established tcp connections to the radiotime servers. May just try to get tcpdump compiled and capturing on the ppp link to see whats happening for myself. I just don't want to doctor it for just one app ....
    Last edited by darkenedreality; 12/21/2009 at 09:04 AM.
    Anyone in Canada have any luck with this app ?
    I'm in Toronto and none of the options bring up any stations..

UPDATE:
    It worked once I went to radiotime.com and filled in some missing blanks in my profile that the pre didn't ask for.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkenedreality View Post
    Ya, that's what i thought at first. But I've restarted my phone countless times and leaving it for hours (on both EVDO rev A and even 1xRTT only) but the menus still fail to load. also, when i do the wifi trick, the radio goes silent for a quick second or two (empty buffer queues) then it starts using EVDO (went on a two hour drive yesterday and it never stopped). Netstat (in terminal) shows established tcp connections to the radiotime servers. May just try to get tcpdump compiled and capturing on the ppp link to see whats happening for myself. I just don't want to doctor it for just one app ....

Just to be clear here. The streaming radio doesn't actually come from RadioTime.

I'm wondering if Bell is blocking access to RadioTime or something. Can you go to RadioTime.com in your browser over EVDO?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the.teejster View Post
    Anyone in Canada have any luck with this app ?
    I'm in Toronto and none of the options bring up any stations..

UPDATE:
    It worked once I went to radiotime.com and filled in some missing blanks in my profile that the pre didn't ask for.
    It shouldn't matter whether or not it's filled in. All you need is a username and password really. The only time the username and password are used is for Presets.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    It shouldn't matter whether or not it's filled in. All you need is a username and password really. The only time the username and password are used is for Presets.

I was just articulating what I needed to do to have it work for me.

Prior to doing so, The app would just search for stations and never find any, regardless of which option I chose. Once I filled in the profile blanks, ALL the options worked and came back with results extremely fast.

NICE APP !
    Same thing here with Bell. Works great on WiFi but can't start or change stations on evdo. Have you found anything else?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Ok. Testing time. If one of you Bell people can go to:

RadioTime

On your Pre/Pixi using the browser. If this works, then it's a stream problem.
    I just did this on my Bell Pre on EVDO. The browser displayed a white screen with the words "RadioTime 200" in the top left corner in a very small font.

I hope this helps those who are more technically capable than I. I've had the same issues with RadioTime as other posters, though I did get it to work briefly this afternoon. Hope this is resolved soon - this looks like a great app!
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kallan42 View Post
    I just did this on my Bell Pre on EVDO. The browser displayed a white screen with the words "RadioTime 200" in the top left corner in a very small font.

I hope this helps those who are more technically capable than I. I've had the same issues with RadioTime as other posters, though I did get it to work briefly this afternoon. Hope this is resolved soon - this looks like a great app!
    Ok. So, that RadioTime 200 indicates that the server is responding properly to those on the Bell network. There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work with Bell then.

In other words, the problem isn't on RadioTime's server-side. Does Bell restrict streaming audio over EVDO? Is there anything in their ToS against it?
    Not that I'm aware of. I've used drPodder, AccuRadio, and several of the ShoutCast apps on my Pre with no problems. Unless they stream using a different method?

I do know that Bell's servers have had issues with the Pre in the past. I wasn't able to get any internet/data access to the browser or any of my apps for the better part of an afternoon once.

I'll call Bell sometime over the next few days and report back what they say. Of course, this could be delayed by the upcoming Christmas Rush, so if anyone else gets around to doing this before I do please let us all know! DocLee, thanks for your help.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kallan42 View Post
    Not that I'm aware of. I've used drPodder, AccuRadio, and several of the ShoutCast apps on my Pre with no problems. Unless they stream using a different method?

I do know that Bell's servers have had issues with the Pre in the past. I wasn't able to get any internet/data access to the browser or any of my apps for the better part of an afternoon once.

I'll call Bell sometime over the next few days and report back what they say. Of course, this could be delayed by the upcoming Christmas Rush, so if anyone else gets around to doing this before I do please let us all know! DocLee, thanks for your help.

Sounds good. You can email me at radiotimewebos@gmail.com if I'm not around or paying attention to the website. We're in a major overhaul of the UI of the program right now and need to get the ad situation straightened up so we can keep the program free.

Obligatory teaser...may (and probably will) change.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    same here on Bell Canada, RadioTime won't load any of the options chosen
    I can't download the app. When I click download it says app catalog unavailable
    Sounds good. You can email me at (email) if I'm not around or paying attention to the website. We're in a major overhaul of the UI of the program right now and need to get the ad situation straightened up so we can keep the program free.

Obligatory teaser...may (and probably will) change.
    Ooh, shiny interface. Thanks again, and thanks for working to keep this app free. I'd happily pay for apps if I could, but since I can't, it's good to see developers working to bring quality apps to Pre users in Canada. Have a good night.
    Just to let people know, having the same challenge as well, EVDO not working with Bell. I'm in the west coast
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    It looks like the problem is Bell Canada specific. Can somebody send an email over to Bell Canada and ask them what's up with their network? I've been trying to for the past couple of hours but their online form won't let me. I really don't want to have to pull the app from the Canadian App Catalog.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast