Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Are Live 365Radio stations available on RadioTime?
    There are a few that listed on Live 365 that also have additional streams that are in RadioTime. These tend to be established, terrestrial radio stations. The thing about Live 365 is that anybody can be a broadcaster. That's fine and all, but, it makes indexing it basically impossible, especially for stations that only exist for a few days and then are gone.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
    I like the new update!
    I just downloaded it, so what's different (besides the name, duh).
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I just downloaded it, so what's different (besides the name, duh).
    Really, nothing except a few bug fixes. TuneIn Radio is going to be the RadioTime mobile/consumer product division. RadioTime will be more B2B.

Doc

RadioTime
    TuneIn Radio
    has anybody else noticed how much power this app sucks? Both in terms of the bettery and eh CPU.

According to Govnah, with the USB cord plugged in, my 800 overclocked Sprint Pre still has a negative battery current of between 60-100mA and my CPU temp has ranged from 38-42 degrees. Yesterday it hit over 50 degrees. I had to shut it down and pull the battery so it would cool off faster.

I love this app. It's the only way to get my favorite AM station in my office or on the train. But the power and CPU usage are outrageously high.
    Yeah, it heats up my phone pretty quick. Love the app though.
    <merged>
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdanny View Post
    has anybody else noticed how much power this app sucks? Both in terms of the bettery and eh CPU.

According to Govnah, with the USB cord plugged in, my 800 overclocked Sprint Pre still has a negative battery current of between 60-100mA and my CPU temp has ranged from 38-42 degrees. Yesterday it hit over 50 degrees. I had to shut it down and pull the battery so it would cool off faster.

I love this app. It's the only way to get my favorite AM station in my office or on the train. But the power and CPU usage are outrageously high.
    All audio in WebOS runs through the HTML5 audio implementation which outputs to Gstreamer. Same as any other app that has audio. There would be no difference in power consumption whether you ran the stream straight from the Palm Streaming Audio application or RadioTime/TuneIn except for occasional ad updates and media information updates. It's just the nature of the (streaming) beast.

Doc

RadioTime/TuneIn Radio Developer
    So how's the progress towards there being a paid ad-free version of the app? Was it ever decided if that is coming or not, just curious thx.
    Mobile HotSpot At&t
    Hi,

New-ish Radiotime user here (please be gentle!), living in England.

I have it on a Blackberry, works fine. I installed it (yesterday) on a new, employer provided, Pre2. Sort of works...

3 things (for now anyways):

1) I can't get BBC Radio 4 (UK National station) to work on the Palm phone at all (it could well be me !). Works fine on the Blackberry. Same deal with other BBC National stations (says 'no compatible stream' beneath the Station info and icon on the Palm - all works fine on the BB, which I assume gets the streams from the exact same place?)

2) When I close the app on the Palm, then restart it, it can sit there forever, not getting the stream (same one as was working just previously when I closed it). No idea why. If I shut the phone down (!!) and restart, TuneIn then works OK... once...

3) Is there a way to definitively tell the streaming app to ONLY use my WiFi connection on the Palm ? Either inside the app as a configurable option, or do I do that elsewhere with a phone-wide option? (new to Palm too..). I can do this on the BB. Can't find anything inside TuneIn app on the Palm. I've done it by setting the phone into Airplane mode, then turning on WiFi only. Not ideal...

All pointers/suggestions gladly received..

Many thanks in advance !
    The station might be streaming in a format that the Pre2 doesn't recognize.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Masty2010 View Post
    Hi,

I have it on a Blackberry, works fine. I installed it (yesterday) on a new, employer provided, Pre2. Sort of works...
    We're not Pre2 compatible yet. I don't even have a Pre2 yet to even begin working on it. Heck, I don't even have a Pre1 anymore either. It died on me.

1) I can't get BBC Radio 4 (UK National station) to work on the Palm phone at all (it could well be me !). Works fine on the Blackberry. Same deal with other BBC National stations (says 'no compatible stream' beneath the Station info and icon on the Palm - all works fine on the BB, which I assume gets the streams from the exact same place?)
    BBC streams in Windows Media Audio. WebOS doesn't support Windows Media Audio. Nothing we can do about it.

2) When I close the app on the Palm, then restart it, it can sit there forever, not getting the stream (same one as was working just previously when I closed it). No idea why. If I shut the phone down (!!) and restart, TuneIn then works OK... once...
    Probably something to do with WebOS 2.0 audio handling changes. That thing was a mess in WebOS 1.X. It's probably even uglier in WebOS 2.0.

3) Is there a way to definitively tell the streaming app to ONLY use my WiFi connection on the Palm ? Either inside the app as a configurable option, or do I do that elsewhere with a phone-wide option? (new to Palm too..). I can do this on the BB. Can't find anything inside TuneIn app on the Palm. I've done it by setting the phone into Airplane mode, then turning on WiFi only. Not ideal...
    Just turning on Wifi disables the 3G connection and will cause the stream to come over Wifi only. There's no need to go into Airplane mode first. As for an app specific setting, I don't think that's going to even be possible to implement. As far as I know, an application can't turn on Wifi without doing some off-the-books trickery which Palm won't allow in the App Catalog.

Doc

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Res215dg View Post
    So how's the progress towards there being a paid ad-free version of the app? Was it ever decided if that is coming or not, just curious thx.
    We've decided to go with strictly an ad-based model. It makes more sense given the number of users.

Doc

Hi,

Hi, sorry if this is shamless self-promotion. There is an app in the UK app catalog (so it will be available to you) called UKRadio that will provide you with access to the BBC National live streams and all the other main national commercial stations. It also provides access to the entire BBC radio on-demand IPlayer content. The BBC live streams that are compatible with the pre are blocked for users outside the UK. That's why RadioTime doesn't support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by expectingtofly View Post
    Hi, sorry if this is shamless self-promotion. There is an app in the UK app catalog (so it will be available to you) called UKRadio that will provide you with access to the BBC National live streams and all the other main national commercial stations. It also provides access to the entire BBC radio on-demand IPlayer content. The BBC live streams that are compatible with the pre are blocked for users outside the UK. That's why RadioTime doesn't support it.
    But RadioTime supports it fine and dandy on the Blackberry version ? Works great.

I'll have a look at your App anyway, but I'm wondering, at base, why RadioTime's Blackberry app supports BBC Radio (to the UK, where I am ), but the Pre app doesn't (or are you suggesting that there is some tech reason why it cannot?)
    But RadioTime supports it fine and dandy on the Blackberry version ? Works great.

I'll have a look at your App anyway, but I'm wondering, at base, why RadioTime's Blackberry app supports BBC Radio (to the UK, where I am ), but the Pre app doesn't (or are you suggesting that there is some tech reason why it cannot?)

The app developer said that BBC broadcasts in WMA which the Pre doesn't support and that they haven't got any Pre2's with which to debug and test with so Pre2 is "unsupported".

EDIT - See below for more details on why some options exist inside UK that do not exist outside UK.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 12/20/2010 at 12:41 PM.

The Pre can't play WMA streams. The BBC WMA streams are available internationally and these are the ones that are in RadioTime's database. The Blackberry can play these WMA streams.
    There are alternative streams that the BBC make available (in AAC format). These are not in RadioTime's database. However, they are geo-locked by the BBC. That is, they block them if your IP address is not of UK origin.
    These are the streams that the UKRadio app uses. It is also why it is only available in the UK app catalog as it will not work outside the UK.

Hope that clarifies.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678