Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Yes it does!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Great little app, only thing missing are the BBC 1-6 channels
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    doclee,

Couple of questions about Clear Channel stations...

1. Do they stream in a format that webOS and RadioTime theoretically could support (if there were no licensing restrictions)?

2. Is "I Heart Radio" the only app that is allowed to stream their stations?

Jim
    1. Yes, streams are available in a format that RadioTime can theoretically support.

2. Without paying an upfront licensing fee, yes. That's just not possible on WebOS with the userbase size and the fact that our app is free/ad supported.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Is there a way to get Radiotime (or any other radio station streaming app) to open a particular radio station upon start? I'd like to set this up on a Mode Switcher mode...
    Implementing that would require a huge rewrite in the code. There are other priorities right now with WebOS 2.0 on the way. Every time Palm updates the operating system, I go into a deep, dark place trying to fix things that break in the new version while still having to account for carriers that lag behind in their updates and users that won't update.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    You're welcome. That problem took awhile to solve but we got through it.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    2. Without paying an upfront licensing fee, yes. That's just not possible on WebOS with the userbase size and the fact that our app is free/ad supported.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Interesting . . . "I Heart Radio" is free on iPhone and BB devices and allows you to stream Clear Channel stations - isn't Clear Channel the actual developer for that app?

I guess they just don't want to release a webOS version or allow anyone else to stream their content.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Interesting . . . "I Heart Radio" is free on iPhone and BB devices and allows you to stream Clear Channel stations - isn't Clear Channel the actual developer for that app?

I guess they just don't want to release a webOS version or allow anyone else to stream their content.
    Yes, iheartradio is developed by Clear Channel. But, you have to understand, from a developer's prospective what exactly the term "free" means. On the iPhone and Android (soon if not already on BB), iheartradio is ad supported. So, yes, the initial program is "free" to the users, but the developer (in this case Clear Channel) profits from the application through ad revenue (and I hear they have around a 3% CTR on their Iphone app which is absolutely incredible...major bucks).

So, "free" is a relative term.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Have a question about the quality of the stream while using your app. Is there a way to adjust this? I listen on radiotime.com to the 128kps quality but in the app (same station Klove-Toledo) I am only able to get the 64kps and it doesn't sound nearly as good. Last week the 128kps stream showed up. Any ideas? Thank in advance!

Chris
    Last edited by Dchris222; 09/10/2010 at 05:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Lots of Kudos for this app... I LOVE it!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    Have a question about the quality of the stream while using your app. Is there a way to adjust this? I listen on radiotime.com to the 128kps quality but in the app (same station Klove-Toledo) I am only able to get the 64kps and it doesn't sound nearly as good. Last week the 128kps stream showed up. Any ideas? Thank in advance!

Chris
    You get completely different streams on the desktop than in the application because of compatibility. On the desktop, you'll get served a high bandwidth Windows Media Audio stream. In the application, you'll get served either an AAC/AAC+ or an mp3 stream. The bitrate is only a reference. It does not necessarily reflect the stream that you are actually playing as there can be multiple streams available. The stream for KLOVE, however, is an mp3 stream and hasn't changed in 2 months and 27 days.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Doc,
    What would WFTL, 640AM in South Florida have to do to be able to stream on Radio Time on the Pre.
    A good friend is starting a show and I want to be able to listen.
    Thank you for any advice/help.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's not possible for the Pre to play WMA streams right now, whether through this app or any other. Most likely is there's multiple feeds for the station you're listening to or something like that.
    There aren't multiple streams. Radio Time contracts with each individual station (or their parent companies) for the feeds and they transcode them to be compatible.

--sorry, i didn't see the developer already answered this--

IMHO it is one of the best apps on the Pre. They even have a time shifting app for your PC called Red button (no win 64, unfortunately).
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Is there a way to get Radiotime (or any other radio station streaming app) to open a particular radio station upon start? I'd like to set this up on a Mode Switcher mode...
    This is the #1 feature I had hoped for too. I use MyClock and it works great with Pandora, but if it could open my local news station instead, that would be awesome!
    Might as well drop this here. I hate ads, any chance of releasing a paid version?
    Come play with my Twitter.
    What would it take to be able to support WMA and/or MMS streaming? I realize this would probably have to be incorporated into the OS, but would it be possible for the app to have the codecs built in or possibly a codec pack that could be produced which could be installed on the phone that would allow apps to steam this type of audio? Seems like Palm would have built this into WebOS especially since you have non-windows computers with operating systems that can do this and internet radios such as squeezebox can play these, but then again, I don't understand the complexity involved to do this.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzannesstud View Post
    What would it take to be able to support WMA and/or MMS streaming? I realize this would probably have to be incorporated into the OS, but would it be possible for the app to have the codecs built in or possibly a codec pack that could be produced which could be installed on the phone that would allow apps to steam this type of audio? Seems like Palm would have built this into WebOS especially since you have non-windows computers with operating systems that can do this and internet radios such as squeezebox can play these, but then again, I don't understand the complexity involved to do this.
    It would have to be built into the operating system for now. Developers don't have access to the core operating system via the App Catalog. It's possible to have a codec pack that homebrewers could install to add WMA support to the OS itself, but I don't know if it would be possible to actually access that through the SDK alone.

It's all about cost. WMA support isn't free. It's quite expensive and priced on a per device basis. There are plenty of devices out on the market that don't support WMA. Nokia phones don't out of the box. The classic Ipods don't. Ipod Touch doesn't without additional programs. The original Squeezebox didn't have WMA support. Squeezebox 2 added it. RadioTime provides radio services for the Squeezebox.

The programming for WebOS is a lot different than it is for other devices, however. It's a webapp...essentially nothing more than a web page like you'd open in your browser. Sure, there's the PDK that allows for native C++ apps, but the audio support for them at this point in time is even worse than the webapps. The PDK is more for games than for applications. The mixed SDK/PDK plugin apps might be able to bring more to the table and that's what we're looking at but those won't be available until WebOS 2.0.

What station do you want to hear?

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Doc,
    What would WFTL, 640AM in South Florida have to do to be able to stream on Radio Time on the Pre.
    A good friend is starting a show and I want to be able to listen.
    Thank you for any advice/help.
    Tell them to get an mp3 stream. They are strictly WMA right now.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    The station is WAKY 103.5. I believe they are WMA/MMS only. I don't think they have an mp3 stream. They will, however, play on a squeezebox, or so I am told by Logitech. I also noticed they stream at an odd bitrate of 51K. Not at the usual 48K or 64K.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzannesstud View Post
    The station is WAKY 103.5. I believe they are WMA/MMS only. I don't think they have an mp3 stream. They will, however, play on a squeezebox, or so I am told by Logitech. I also noticed they stream at an odd bitrate of 51K. Not at the usual 48K or 64K.
    Yep. They are WMA over mms:// only. They actually stream at 48k.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Are Live 365Radio stations available on RadioTime?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast