Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

Over the past day or so, NewsRoom hasn't been able to update feeds. Is this happening to others? (I've done the usual restart, etc., but I'm hesitant to uninstall / reinstall, because I really don't want to have to reinstall all of my feeds)

Thanks!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I just had to doctor my phone, and re-added my feeds. It appears that none of them are updating, so yes, I am experiencing the same thing.
    working fine here.
    There we go... mine finally started working after another manual refresh. Must have just been a hiccup at their end.
    Do any of you guys see any correlation between using Newsroom, and then shortly thereafter, or at least within the same non-reboot period, see the dreaded "too many cards open" when you really have only one card open?

This seems to happen to me everytime I use Newsroom for a while. I then have to restart the phone and I can open tons of cards again and it will be fine until I start newsroom again...shortly thereafter "too many cards open" again. I love Newsroom, but having to restart my phone almost after everytime I use it gets to be annoying!
    Manny - Not seeing the too many card issue on our Pre even after heavy use. Are you sure there are no other apps that might be causing that?

As for feeds not updating Bujin, that is something we have a fix for and it should be out shortly. You can always visit our support site at Community-powered support for Trileet to get more details or ask questions. We are committed to making sure the service works as intended.

Eric
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    Manny - Not seeing the too many card issue on our Pre even after heavy use. Are you sure there are no other apps that might be causing that?

As for feeds not updating Bujin, that is something we have a fix for and it should be out shortly. You can always visit our support site at Community-powered support for Trileet to get more details or ask questions. We are committed to making sure the service works as intended.

Eric
    I looked at your site and someone seems to have reported to have the same problem as what I reported. I can't think of any other app that I am running, most of them are just a few games that I play for a few mins and that's about it. I am going to try and monitor it some more by restarting the phone, then just running newsroom and no other apps that didn't come pre installed on the Pre. Will keep you up to date.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    im looking for a RSS reader

could someone who has Newsroom try this feed and tell me what happens
    or even if it works

many thanks

http://uni35.ogame.org/feed/show.php...3ac8e953aae3d0
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    i tried, it says content not available. looks like it needs a login
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I had the same thing here. I sent a diagnostic email to NewsRoom, (from the help menu), and within an hour or so, I received a reply saying; "try it now," and it worked great!

Best app I've bought.
    I wish there was a trial, i need to know if it's worth my 5 bucks.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    does it have notifcations settings?
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    As far as news readers go....there's nothing more convenient than NewsRoom. 90% of the time you can read the entire article straight from the App!

If you're asking if it notifies you, text message style, that one of your sites just has been updated, then the answer is no. But if you are in Newsroom, it will notifiy if one of your sites just got update.

Well worth the 5 bucks, even though that even after 1.3.5 and Partial Restore prior to the update install, I still seem to have trouble with the Too many cards issue that only seems to pop up some time after using Newsroom. Not 100% sure of that though.

Edit: Newsroom DOES notify you just in the same way the phone will notify you that you have a new text message, awesome feature! The only feed that I have set to notify so far is the most important one.... PreCentral!
    Last edited by MannyZ28; 02/07/2010 at 09:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    You guys at Newsroom wanna get rich?

Take the Newsroom UI and create an email app. The "preview" listing is the first page of an email, and then swipe up to read the whole thing. Perhaps make a 'checkmark' gesture to delete or something.

The sluggishness and poor design and rendering of email on the Pre just sucks. Mark Blank made a ton with ChatterEmail when people thought it was crazy competing with a free built in app on the treo.

It would be the #1 seller overnight...
    Mark F Chinsky
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    You guys at Newsroom wanna get rich?

Take the Newsroom UI and create an email app. The "preview" listing is the first page of an email, and then swipe up to read the whole thing. Perhaps make a 'checkmark' gesture to delete or something.

The sluggishness and poor design and rendering of email on the Pre just sucks. Mark Blank made a ton with ChatterEmail when people thought it was crazy competing with a free built in app on the treo.

It would be the #1 seller overnight...
    If you haven't already, you might want to post this to Trilleet's getsatisfaction.com "board."

I'm with you: the Pre's e-mail program is slow and leaves a lot to be desired. I think the Trileet team could do a good job with "plussing" the UI.

However... is e-mail accessible via an API or other Palm-approved means? If not, then Palm would likely not approve such an app for the catalog.

Also, there are many important "user experience" issues that need sorted out. For example, some (including myself) have asked for a "quick view" that's a list of articles (something akin to what old-school RSS readers do), but Trileet has made the case that this is not something they (ever) want to do because they have a good approach (i.e., why have a list of titles when you can quickly flick through pages?).

Also, the "you saw it, so you read it" approach that's in NewsRoom is very bothersome to me, but I'm living with it. For an e-mail app, it would be unacceptable (i.e., the app would need to have something like e-mail programs with preview panes, when an e-mail isn't marked read unless it's been on the screen for a certain number of seconds).

However, all-in-all, I agree: I'd pay for a faster and more robust e-mail app. Of course, it'd have to be call-able from the e-mail notification or (even better) provide it's own notifications and disable the built-in ones.

P.S. I've never tried it, but GMail and others offer an RSS-feed view of your inbox. While not perfect (e.g., there's no way to delete), it could provide a stepping stone. (Although, come to think of it, since NewsRoom doesn't provide any way to authenticate, I don't think it'd work just yet).
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I have to say, the premium price newsroom commands is more than worth it.

it is hands-down the slickest most intuitive rss feed parsing app I've used. everything about it is beautiful and it still manages to load and update very quickly.

my only complaint is with the formatting of certain html rich website articles and the clipping of articles with more than one page.

I also notice the android app seems to be more frequently updated and sports some enhanced functionality.

I've given the app four out of five stars in my app catalog review. the formatting is a minor annoyance but the article clipping does cost it a star.

I'm sure as it is updated, that review will get notched up to a full five once. trileet seems very responsive and I definitely recommend this rss reader to anyone looking for such an app.

edit: I should mention this app was so satisfactory, I deleted the dedicated content apps from new york times et al.
    didn't need 'em anymore.
    What am I doing wrong? Everytime I try to add a feed it says content unavailable. I click on the rss symbol in my url bar and go to the page. Then I just copy that address to the reader right?

This is the site I'm trying to add:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...2&forumids=201
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I don't think this app is for me based on what I've read, but maybe some can sway me or offer an alternative. I'm a Google Reader user and use it to keep tabs on professional industry news and also personally for world news and sports and stuff like that. On Google Reader I have folders set up by subject and my professional industry folder contains 26 subscriptions to blogs and news sites. It would seem to be very annoying to click on all these subscriptions one by one, so instead in Google I click on folder by folder, which shows me all new updates in one spot for that particular subject. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Newsroom I'd have to open up each subscription icon that showed unread updates ONE by ONE? There is no folder structure or grouping by subject or unified "new" or "inbox" so to speak?

I also like the fact that Google reader mobile or desktop sync for read/unread status since I also do a lot of reading on the desktop. Again, I don't think this is the one I should be looking at (I'm currently trying Scoop) but everyone is always saying great things about newsroom.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgiven View Post
    I don't think this app is for me based on what I've read, but maybe some can sway me or offer an alternative. I'm a Google Reader user and use it to keep tabs on professional industry news and also personally for world news and sports and stuff like that. On Google Reader I have folders set up by subject and my professional industry folder contains 26 subscriptions to blogs and news sites. It would seem to be very annoying to click on all these subscriptions one by one, so instead in Google I click on folder by folder, which shows me all new updates in one spot for that particular subject. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Newsroom I'd have to open up each subscription icon that showed unread updates ONE by ONE? There is no folder structure or grouping by subject or unified "new" or "inbox" so to speak?

I also like the fact that Google reader mobile or desktop sync for read/unread status since I also do a lot of reading on the desktop. Again, I don't think this is the one I should be looking at (I'm currently trying Scoop) but everyone is always saying great things about newsroom.
    I used to be one of (the?) biggest critic of NewsRoom, but am now a huge fan. So...

NewsRoom lets you read all new (inbox?) articles across all feeds. To do this, flick upward. There is a setting to this for only the current "page," which simulates folders. However, because there are only 3 pages, and a maximum of 9 feeds per page (8 on the first page), this means that you have to organize things in a way that may not work for you. The developer has been resistant to making changes in this area, but most users seem happy with "just show me everything that's new."

If you have 26 total feeds now, you're in luck, because NewsRoom can handle 26 feeds (8 on page 1, 9 on page 2, 9 on page 3). No more, however, and the author has been clear that they will NOT be expanding this for several reasons.

It sounds like you have many more than 26 feeds, though, with 26 being the "professional" ones.

In terms of Google sync, it's not currently supported and there is resistance (mostly on technical grounds) to it by the author. However, it's the most requested feature and there's been hints that "something" will be done, so maybe...

I use a combination of NewsRoom and Scoop. I use NewsRoom for stuff that I'm likely to read on the subway (general news, blogs). The ability to "star" (mark later) and e-mail makes it easy to track articles of interest.

I use Scoop for stuff where having a desktop (Google Reader) interface is important, or where the content is "readable" (e.g., a list of new releases from NetFlix). This combination keeps down my feeds in NewsRoom, lets me maintain separation between things, and lets me really take advantage of what each does well.

Thing of NewsRoom as a virtual magazine, that brings together articles from different sources. You can read top-to-bottom or in any order you like. But it's mean for READING and not scanning.

Think of Scoop/Google Reader as a news ticker, where you can see headlines and dip into those that are interest.

It's a shame that there still is no demo of NewsRoom, because it takes using a few weeks to really see the beauty of it and to realize that some of the shortcomings aren't really shortcomings.

I can't live without it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast