Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by christo1970 View Post
    does it have notifcations settings?
    Oh yes, its sooo worth the 5 bucks. There is notification settings and have Precentral as one of the feeds to alert me when there are news. Just a great reading experience and being alerted just makes it even better. Here is a review one did for Newsroom.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I'm plopping down the $5 and downloading it tonight just based on all the positive comments and quick developer responses. As I said i'm a heavy google reader user with about 65 feeds and like groups of feeds dumped in themed folder inboxes where you can read all the feeds for one particular subject in one spot. However, I'm willing to try something new based on the glowing reviews and who knows...maybe I can try to live with 36 feeds. The last time I made a negative comment about a product and a rigid limit I think I said: "Who the heck will limit their postings to 140 characters? This will never catch on!" So...I think I might have misjudged that one LOL

Mike
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgiven View Post
    The last time I made a negative comment about a product and a rigid limit I think I said: "Who the heck will limit their postings to 140 characters? This will never catch on!" So...I think I might have misjudged that one LOL

Mike
    That reminds of my friend who said "I'm going to invest in this company that'll sell books on the Internet" and I said "never will catch on."

I'm still working for a living. He's enjoying his amazon.com money on some beach, I guess.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    chiming in again, that bug where your preferences don't save is an annoyance.

also, this app seems to suffer from a memory leak and stutters at times.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Ok...I promised a review after playing with it for a few days. I also posted this as a comment (very long one!) in the PreCentral review today.

I was TOTALLY wrong to be skeptical about NewsRoom...it's everything that everyone said in this thread and more.

I was a skeptical heavy Google Reader user and downloaded this just based on the incredible glowing reviews. I must admit I was wrong and this is worth every penny of the price and then some. It is the single most impressive app I've seen and has changed the way I receive and read my news.

I have not gone to Google reader or my desktop ONCE since I've been using Newsroom...it's so much better of a news reading experience and just a lot of fun as well. Why be locked to my desktop and looking at plain vanilla lists of unread headlines which require you to click through to websites to get to the text of the story? The app even has the ability to notify you when any feeds you've set up have updated stories, right along with your email, text, voice mail, Facebook alerts. Very cool.

I use Newsroom as my primary news source now while laying in bed, lounging on the couch, sitting at my desk...pretty much anywhere. I work at home, but for someone who commutes on a train or bus I can't imagine how great this would be. Full articles almost all of the time without added clicks and offline reading all formatted perfectly for the Pre/Pixi.

To address previous comments:

GOOGLE READER SYNC: Non issue for me anymore since I ditched using it once I started with Newsroom. I'd actually rather read the news on my Pre now and I AM synced since I have my phone with me everywhere :-)

OFFLINE USE: It seems to grab the entire story as an option 90% of the time on the feeds I use and they ARE available offline.

WANT TO READ ALL UNREAD FEEDS TOGETHER LIKE A NEWSPAPER: The app already does this. If you swipe up from the main screen it shows you ALL your unread stories one by one by feed. The beauty of this app really is that the experience is like using your hands as you would in reading a newspaper, and not clicking on one line headlines like you would on other RSS readers (or Google). You can swipe through the stories and stop when you see an interesting headline or photo, drill up and read the whole article, go straight to a specific page (if you've grouped by subject) like you do a newspaper section, or go to one specific feed.

WORTH COST WITH OTHER APP CATALOG RSS READERS LESS? Absolutely. I previously tried NewsFeed, FeedReader and Scoop and they did fine for what they were, but now look so outdated and from the stone ages to me. I'm babbling now, but NewsRoom really seems revolutionary compared to the rest. It is the kind of app that WebOs was built for.
    Although a little hesitant, I purchased Newsroom and I must say that it impressed me. A couple of things:

1 - What's a good weather RSS feed? I grabbed weather.com but it only offers basic info and no maps. I thought there might be another feed that would provide those.

2 - Is there a way to let specific feeds update while the app is closed rather than all-or-none?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    Although a little hesitant, I purchased Newsroom and I must say that it impressed me. A couple of things:

1 - What's a good weather RSS feed? I grabbed weather.com but it only offers basic info and no maps. I thought there might be another feed that would provide those.

2 - Is there a way to let specific feeds update while the app is closed rather than all-or-none?

Thanks.
    as of right now, I believe it's all or none.
    however, you can choose which feed(s) you'd like to receive notifications about.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I too am very impressed with Newsroom and glad I invested my hard earned $5. However, I am also having the same problem as post #18. There are feeds that I read on my desktop through Bloglines that I tried adding over and I get the no content error. But obviously, I know there is content? Is there a way around this?

Thanks.
    Palm III > Palm IIIx > Palm Zire 71 > Palm Treo 700P > Palm Pre Plus (and loving the heck out of it!!!)
    I've got Newsroom but have found a really bad glitch. We have it for both my phone and my wife's phone. When we are in low to no data areas, it seems to delete all our feeds. Re-adding 25 feeds is not fun at all. I love newsroom but if this problem isn't fixed, I'll have to go with another reader. Any help??
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post

Thanks.
    1. I'm not a fan of RSS feeds for weather, simply because weather is the sort of thing that you don't want a history... I think you'll be better with a weather app, and there are several. Some free, some not. Weather Channel and AcuWeather are popular, and both have free (with ads) versions. There are several other good choices, though. Check the catalog for "weather."

2. I don't think so, but you can set notifications on a feed-by-feed basis. So what (other than the very slight battery difference) if all your feeds update, if you're only notified of the ones that matter? To set notification on a feed, orange-tap the icon. You can also use "Feed Manager" from the menu.
    My starred feed is gone....any way to get it back??
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12