1.    #1  
    This has probably been discussed many times around but I wanted to see if anyone has a definitive answer.

Why the hell do us non-US users have such limited access to applications? I struggle to see any reason why we would not have access to every single app. Is this a developer preference, or a Palm failing?

Surely this will limit non-US users which could massively affect their future sales and also massively limit the market to developers! By all accounts, developers are receiving poor sales at the moment anyway. I'm sure they could double their app sales with non-US availability.

Grrrrr
    Last edited by Ben_K; 12/15/2009 at 10:58 AM.
    i absolutly agree, this is very annoing! i would love to have access to the evernote app, but in austria i currently have access to only about 20 apps and those are mostly *****.
    German GSM Palm Pre - 1.3.5.2 - Carrier: A1
  3.    #3  
    Interesting. I have the Evernote App but I wonder if that is UK limited now too.
    You see, I have the AccuWeather app which I downloaded ages ago but when I try to update it to the newest version, it tells me that the "app catalog is unavailable". Apparently, other people in the same situation have deleted the app but it is then unavailable to them. From some research I have done, more limitations seem to have occurred since the 1.3.1 update.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i'm tired to hear always the same: "palm will fix it .... wait, until palm loads up an update ..."
    i have paid 481 euro for a toy-phone
    app-catlog is beta, palm is beta, pre is trash
  5.    #5  
    Well, I can run with the 'Palm will update' line, as far as it is a new system and will inevitably suffer teething problems. I do not accept it when our friends in the US have the functionality already. That means it isn't a technical problem. I don't get why we have any more limitations than they do.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I have used Chapura's Echo on my Pre. Since Echo and their Pocketmirror have disappeared from App Catalog, I asked them directly why Echo and Pocketmirror don't show up anymore in App Catalog here in Finland. They said they have made both apps available in all countries and "there is nothing more they can do about it".
    So it's Palm - it seems - who is holding back. Why?!
    Only Americans have paid apps due to the undeniable awesomeness of the United States of America.

Definitive Answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_K View Post
    This has probably been discussed many times around but I wanted to see if anyone has a definitive answer.

Why the hell do us non-US users have such limited access to applications? I struggle to see any reason why we would not have access to every single app. Is this a developer preference, or a Palm failing?

Surely this will limit non-US users which could massively affect their future sales and also massively limit the market to developers! By all accounts, developers are receiving poor sales at the moment anyway. I'm sure they could double their app sales with non-US availability.

Grrrrr
  8.    #8  
    I give you one point for comical value, ryleyinstl...

Interesting. I have the Evernote App but I wonder if that is UK limited now too.
    You see, I have the AccuWeather app which I downloaded ages ago but when I try to update it to the newest version, it tells me that the "app catalog is unavailable". Apparently, other people in the same situation have deleted the app but it is then unavailable to them. From some research I have done, more limitations seem to have occurred since the 1.3.1 update.
    I had the same thing with Accuweather and Feeds. Updates apparently available but got the same "app store unavailable" message.

Coincidently, Accuweather and Feeds stopped working completely (Feeds wouldn't even open and weather was stuck loading forever) so I uninstalled them intending to reinstall. Both are now gone from the store and Feeds will not install via preware either - just says "downloaded" and sits there. App is nowhere to be seen.

Palm wouldn't be crippling these apps remotely once they appear as paid apps in the (unavailable outside of the US) catalog, would they?

Feeds (the google reader app) was the thing I used by far the most. Great little app. Gone. The sooner they sort this bloody paid apps thing out the better. Fair enough to restrict things to the US, but to disable things that previously worked is not on at all.

EDIT: OK, so Feeds was a beta which has only just stopped working. I still think Accuweather has been crippled intentionally though. I'm now wary of updating anything at all via the app catalog in case something else gets screwed. I bet Accuradio is the next to go.
    Last edited by gus_gorman; 12/15/2009 at 08:27 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Well, I get the update issue but Accuweather seems to be running fine to me. Hmm... Actually, now I think about it, it does report terrible weather all the time...

...although that might just be England!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Palm indicated to us that they pushed the App Catalog for Europe today (16-December). Can people check if CL USB Sync appears?
    Well, I get the update issue but Accuweather seems to be running fine to me. Hmm... Actually, now I think about it, it does report terrible weather all the time...

...although that might just be England!
    I'm in Canada, so no paid apps for me either, but just before reading this thread I happened to run the Updates app which notified me of an AccuWeather update. When I told it to install I got the "App Catalog Unavailable" message afterwards, but when I closed out the Update app and ran it again it no longer listed AccuWeather as having an available update, so maybe it did update it despite that reported error. AccuWeather is still downloading weather for me just fine after this process too...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    Palm indicated to us that they pushed the App Catalog for Europe today (16-December). Can people check if CL USB Sync appears?
    Yes, CL USB Sync appeared for me last night. I have just doubled checked and we still don't have the same quantity of apps available to US owners, however, I have noticed an extra button at the bottom (You know, the A-Z, Clock, Star, and now 2 coins). The new button brings up only free apps but I think that is because all we have available is free apps still.

Some change is a start. Maybe it will take a day or two to migrate the apps over to new servers or something?