Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The influx of apps by this developer got me wondering and wanted to do a bit of research, I mean a bit because I googled "Brighthouse Labs" and checked out two of the results. Apparently they have done the same thing if not greater in the iPhone's app catalog, with over 3000+ and hundreds of pages in the app catalog. I know there is nothing we can do about it but it does bother me and I was just wondering if the amount of apps they are putting out and the single serve aspect of them annoys you? I wish I could block a developer from displaying in the app catalog so mine wouldnt be so jammed up with their garbage. These apps may serve a purpose to some of you but I will never purchase a Brighthouse Labs app b/c of their clutter in the Catalog. Thanks for letting me vent a bit.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    They're obviously a "try to get rich off very similar apps" type developer.. It's really annoying that they create an app for every team, instead of a user-selectable filter for each team, within one app.

The apps aren't even that good, yet they're making so many. There should be a "complain" button in the app catalog, or at least a way to filter out certain developers.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Yeah, it's ridiculous. I can't people actually pay for that crap.

Just wait until they bring the rest of their 3648 apps to the App Catalog. They could quadruple the number of apps in the catalog in one shot.

Palm should take charge like Apple before it's too late.

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....re/#more-16101

Last edited by Tikerz; 12/15/2009 at 10:57 AM.
    Interesting link Tikerz. Let's hope they get the App Catalog sorted before they get to the same situation.

Edit: I must say, this is the only plus side of the limited app catalog for non-US users; we don;t see this crap!
    how did they bypass the 50 dollar fee for each submitted app?
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    I shudder to think they are making so much off these that they can absorb the cost!
    If I remember correctly I think the $50 dollar fee was waived for early access members. Maybe they got early access and got by that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    If I remember correctly I think the $50 dollar fee was waived for early access members. Maybe they got early access and got by that way.
    Ugh, that makes sense.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Brighthouse Labs

"we're certain we have an app that you'll enjoy"

"Our applications currently sell on the Apple App Store and the Palm App Catalogue. In both markets we are amongst the largest developers and our apps satisfy a wide range of needs and wants. These apps are well received, frequently making the App Store's top ten and staff favourite lists."

LOL.
    OMG in the apple app store they have nearly THREE TIMES the number of apps in the entire palm app catalog!

lets hope palm puts a throttle on them, a 3:1 brighthouse to other dev app catalog is not something i would look forward too.

maybe palm needs to work on in app purchasing so that companies like this can sell a "NBA" app that would allow you to purchase different teams from within.

i think apple just implemented this recently?
    Last edited by windzilla; 12/15/2009 at 03:15 PM.
    Maybe Palm should implement a sub-folder structure to the App Catalog to cope with the situations where a program is basically the same program covering a separate sub-topic. (eg Brighthouse, Photo Fun, Pic Hunt etc) That way there would be only one reference in the App Catalog.
    First Translators by this company called Ultralingua, Inc. who had the balls to ask 20 bucks per app, and then all this Brighthouse crap. Those guys are the spyware and spam equivalent in the App Catalog. Recipes....seriously? I need an App for recipes? If they are trying to make themselves unpopular around here they did a bang up job accomplishing that. Nothing like seeing that 30 new apps got added just to discover it's more of their crap!

Please Palm....make them combine all their little specific apps into one big one, so we don't have to scroll through all their crap to find an app from a developer that was actually innovative and deliver something practical. We should found a dev called "Darkhouse" or something, and then do one app that does everything all their little ones do and sell it for a buck! That ought to teach them! Clutter up our App Catalog....how dare you Brighthouse....how dare you!!!!
  13. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I don't mind all the apps if users had a way to 'always ignore' certain apps or developers. Hopefully we can get that functionality in the catalog.

Are you listening Palm? New catalog features such as...
    - Ignore this App forever
    - Ignore all Apps from this developer forever
    - Next to star rating, have a ignore rating (times ignored)

App Censorship isn't the answer. Finding a structure for users to push these bad apps out to pasture makes more sense.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I'm quite tired of loading up the app catalog to see what's new and all I see is tons more of their apps. Sprinkled in the middle are real new apps. I for one hate it.
    I think the fee isn't supposed to be implemented until the app catalog is out of beta. That's probably why they are spamming apps everyday right now, to get as many in as possible before the beta tag is taken off the catalog.
    I was thinking earlier today how they are spamming the app catalog and I would never buy anything from them. If Palm ever creates a junk app filter for the app catalog, Dunghouse Labs will be the first to get tossed.

Here is a link to contact them. Let's return the favor and bombard them with messages letting them know how we feel about their spam apps.

Edit: Better yet...here's their direct email address: Chris@brighthouselabs.com
    Last edited by Trekker; 12/16/2009 at 06:26 PM.
    ...and second would be anything from Dijit.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Let Palm know how you feel!
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    You can thank the Apple App Store for lowering the bar for all the platforms. They made it a numbers game and all the kids out there think that more apps are better.

There are developers in the Android Store that have over 2000 apps. Apple has developers that have over 10000 apps. We should be thankful that most of those spammers dont think WebOS is worth the trouble.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    yeah its a bummer
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast