Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub2027 View Post
    Let Palm know how you feel!
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Palm's made it clear in the developer forums that they're not going to restrict things like this, and after thinking about it, I tend to agree with their argument. If anyone, let the actual developer, Brighthouse Labs, know how you feel. Contact Us
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Read what Chuq has to say about censorship, that's what you are advocating:

Forums webOS • View topic - App Spam?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post

Forums webOS • View topic - App Spam?
    Yea, Chuq makes some good points. I feel they should at least allow us to collapse these somehow, or they're just discouraging people from even checking the catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    The app catalog should have a spam filter, just like my email client. If I don't like something, I filter it out. If you want to call that censorship, fine, I'm all for it!
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I just wish that $50/app thingw as in already. Likely we have a 127 less apps and they make 1 for each sport or something
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    The app catalog should have a spam filter, just like my email client. If I don't like something, I filter it out. If you want to call that censorship, fine, I'm all for it!
    Sounds like a good candidate form Homebrew.

If you think this is bad just take a look at the App Store.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    This may sound like a gigantic **** move, but if you really want to stick it to these App spammers, why not take a proactive approach and create a FREE app that does exactly what theirs does, but instead including all the variations onto the same app.

Example, create an NBA app that has all the teams different stats, games, etc.

I'm sure that once they realize how much better the app would fare as a stand-alone app, they might wise up and create 1 slightly more expensive app that gets you more bang for your buck. I would gladly pay $5-8 dollars for 1 recipe app that has a wider variety of dishes.

On a sidenote, where is the official NBA app, Palm...? >:\ I'm not a football fan. Heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by robobeau View Post
    On a sidenote, where is the official NBA app, Palm...? >:\ I'm not a football fan. Heh.
    NFL app is because Sprint is the official provider of the NFL. I believe T-Mobile is the official provider for NBA, so there's not quite as big an incentive to get a similar app.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    NFL app is because Sprint is the official provider of the NFL. I believe T-Mobile is the official provider for NBA, so there's not quite as big an incentive to get a similar app.
    Oh... Well, poo.
    I heart Brighthouse Labs. They're catching a bad rap. And why? For providing you, the consumer, with individual apps taylor made to your favorite sport, and your favorite team? Wow. Ingrates!!

(The preceding statement is all BS. Someone molatov cocktail their development studio..)
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    palm won't do anything against this app-spammers. they don't even recognize it as an issue.
    app-catalog is beta, palm is beta, pre is trash
    I'm really puzzled why people think that the $50 app fee will reduce the amount of 'spam' apps. Big app houses like brighthouse can easily afford this fee. It's the smaller shops that might be hurt but even those developers might decide to play the odds if it's the only way to get noticed in a crowded catalog.

Am I missing something here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    I'm really puzzled why people think that the $50 app fee will reduce the amount of 'spam' apps. Big app houses like brighthouse can easily afford this fee. It's the smaller shops that might be hurt but even those developers might decide to play the odds if it's the only way to get noticed in a crowded catalog.

Am I missing something here?
    You're missing that it's $50 per app, and it's highly unlikely that even at $2 per app that they'll average 25 purchases per app. Most of their apps seem to have 0 downloads. I checked 25 or so of their $2 applications, and the mean number of downloads is about 7. A couple of their football applications have sold better, but they're only $1, and I haven't seen a single one of those above 39 downloads.

Edit: And I'm sure there's some that have sold better that would affect the mean, but I wasn't going to go through and check every single app of theirs to figure it out.
    lol the app cataloge, what's that? Lol seriously I only ever use preware
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You're missing that it's $50 per app, and it's highly unlikely that even at $2 per app that they'll average 25 purchases per app. Most of their apps seem to have 0 downloads. I checked 25 or so of their $2 applications, and the mean number of downloads is about 7. A couple of their football applications have sold better, but they're only $1, and I haven't seen a single one of those above 39 downloads.

Edit: And I'm sure there's some that have sold better that would affect the mean, but I wasn't going to go through and check every single app of theirs to figure it out.
    come on Jhoff, are you suggesting that over a period of time (months, a year, etc) they won't be able to sell 25 copies of each app? That break even is too low...not just for brighthouse, but for any developer that wants to game the system. And they will have a few apps that sell much more. This is the strategy that they have decided to adopt. If the market rewards it, then they will continue it.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I'd love to see a way to not only filter out crapapp/spamapp makers like Brighthouse...

But, I'd also like to be able to filter out the Off Topic thread postings as well.

I come to this Pre specific forum to get info on the Pre and webOS, and this distracts me, ...if I want to rant about politics, there are many more suitable sites on the web for which to engage in political discourse. (...and I know a bit about ranting about politics, I have friends who do it for a living)

Now, I fully understand someones wanting to express themselves politicly, (I can't, however, for the life of me, fathom why they would want to do it on a Pre forum.), But, I'd love to filter all that crap out.

So, is it possible to filter out OffTopic thread postings?

Oh, and Happy Festivus, everyone!
    Yeah, Brighthouse Labs are just a bunch of spammers that are ruining the app store. Who really downloads their apps? If you do a search for the most under-downloaded apps; you will see Brighthouse Labs. No one downloads their garbage! The apps are also stupid. I hope Palm bans them.
    They've been pretty ridiculous today.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    an app catalog with filter options would be helpful. One filter option would that everyone in this thread would appreciate is a developer filter.
    140 crappy apps from darkhouse .. This is crazy!! People stop buying them!! Everything these apps does you can google search it for free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast