1.    #1  
    When I try to download an App a screen pops up saying Unknown Error - failure - OK

Why won't it take credit card info?
    You are describing two different things. Are you getting an error when downloading or when entering a card number?

If you have a previous version of the Application you are trying to buy installed, you need to delete it first. (Homebrew versions with the same App ID).

Otherwise, you need to be a little more detailed about what you are trying to do.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Have you not put in your credit card info yet? You can do it in the Preferences in the top left of the App Catalog.

Otherwise... how many applications do you have installed? Many people experience limitation problems and a restricted to 30-70 apps, maybe less, and additional apps can be allowed if you install the Package Manager Service. Otherwise you'll have to wait until 1.3.5 until Palm fixes it themselves.

If these arn't the problems then I'm not sure, you can try a reset, or pulling the battery and if that doesn't work you might just have to Dr. you phone.