Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85
  1.    #1  
    So this Brighthouse Labs developer really thinks that it's a good idea to have separate apps for every team, for Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey? (Only a handful of teams for Baseball and Hockey but I'd imagine the rest are coming).

    And Palm actually approved this crap?

    Now, don't get me wrong, it could be the best application ever... regardless, I refuse to buy anything from them based on it. Not only is it flooding the Catalog, but more importantly, if someone is a fan of a few teams they're expected to buy multiple versions? Complete ripoff, as far as I'm concerned.

    And Palm's approval of this just seems like something done because they know they need to increase their app count by any means necessary.

    Now, I don't complain about the quality or types of apps in the catalog, but I can't help myself here, this is just ridiculous, in my opinion.
  2. #2  
    +1
  3. #3  
    For users like myself, this isn't a bad thing at all. I only care about MY team, I don't need a huge app hogging space on my Pre with information about 29 or more teams that I don't care about.

    Now I would think that there should be an "All Teams" app available in addition to the single team apps. This would give people the choice if they do in fact want to follow more than just their team.
  4. #4  
    How goes it, jhoff80.

    I have to agree with you here. It seems like a cheap way to up the number of apps. Shameless.
  5. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #5  
    Just wait until somebody writes separate translation apps for every possible combination of languages.
  6. strudel's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #6  
    Actually doesn't the Apple App store have the same thing with apps for each sport team? I think its just like the language translators and tip calculators, they are always too many of them.
  7. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    Actually doesn't the Apple App store have the same thing with apps for each sport team? I think its just like the language translators and tip calculators, they are always too many of them.
    Yes, but the App Store sucks.

    If Palm implements the $50/submission fee then it would avoid all this crap, although unfortunately it would discourage independent developers already facing relatively grim financial prospects in the Catalog.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    For users like myself, this isn't a bad thing at all. I only care about MY team, I don't need a huge app hogging space on my Pre with information about 29 or more teams that I don't care about.

    Now I would think that there should be an "All Teams" app available in addition to the single team apps. This would give people the choice if they do in fact want to follow more than just their team.
    Yeah, but the NFL app preinstalled on the device (for Sprint) has absolutely no problem giving you a selector at the beginning and then giving you a "My Team" section that only shows up what applies to that team. It'd be pretty easy to have an initial selector that pushes a different scene based on which team you've chosen.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    For users like myself, this isn't a bad thing at all. I only care about MY team, I don't need a huge app hogging space on my Pre with information about 29 or more teams that I don't care about.

    Now I would think that there should be an "All Teams" app available in addition to the single team apps. This would give people the choice if they do in fact want to follow more than just their team.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, but the NFL app preinstalled on the device (for Sprint) has absolutely no problem giving you a selector at the beginning and then giving you a "My Team" section that only shows up what applies to that team. It'd be pretty easy to have an initial selector that pushes a different scene based on which team you've chosen.
    I agree with jhoff80 on this one. There are a few apps that already allow you to choose what you want at the beginning when the only thing the app does at the start is act as the front end. NFL app already mentioned, NASCAR app, and the simple bible app are some that come to mind. That is kind of ridiculous how they did it.
  10. #10  
    +1

    I was thinking the exact same thing!
  11. #11  
    +1,000,000,000,000,000
    if it where up to brighthouse that's how many apps theyde have..
    and look they're just doing american teams right now, what happens when they start making the same stupid app for every team around the world.. The only thing left would be your local little league teams.
  12. #12  
    they're at it again
  13. cashen's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    #13  
    how else is the app catalog going to get to a 1000?
  14. #14  
    I agree, I will never buy an app from them regardless of price as a result of them spamming the app catalog. Talk about a turnoff...
  15. #15  
    They have 2000 apps for the iPhone, all of them single subject apps like this. It will only get worse now they've started to spam the catalog.
  16. #16  
    This is the whole reason why I agree with the $50 charge per app. This isn't a problem with even small developers. If you don't expect your app to make at least $500, why in the world are you writing it?
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  17. #17  
    Holy crap. Is there a patch someone can create that won't show anything in the catalog by brighthouse labs? I might not even walk into houses anymore that are well lit. (see what I did there?) I say everyone email Chris@brighthouselabs.com and tell them to get a life. Maybe have a main page article that tells everyone to spam their inbox so they will quit with this crap.
  18.    #18  
    Not only that, I checked a few reviews and the only ones I could find were 1-star and said the apps barely worked. I only looked through 5-10 of the basketball ones, but couldn't find a single positive review (of course, most were unreviewed).
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I agree with jhoff80 on this one. There are a few apps that already allow you to choose what you want at the beginning when the only thing the app does at the start is act as the front end. NFL app already mentioned, NASCAR app, and the simple bible app are some that come to mind. That is kind of ridiculous how they did it.
    Sporting News baseball app does the same.
  20. jp99's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Is there a patch someone can create that won't show anything in the catalog by brighthouse labs?
    I don't know if this is feasible, but I second it. This is ridiculous. A single app per sport should be able to load just the information for the team, or teams, you select.

    We're going to see them in the "Recent" list every time webOS is updated and the developers have to update their apps.

    Or maybe the $50/app could change to something like $500/app after you hit some limit such as 25 apps submitted
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions