1.    #1  
    The new app, "Fuel," won't let me enter the volume purchased. The numbers appear as I type then disappear. I don't have any maintenance services scheduled. Consequently, it's useless. Anyone else have this issue? I'm running webOS 1.3.1 and a myriad of patches. I've tried uninstall and reinstall. Fuel, is what Tank Tracker should be and I'd like to switch.

Also, anyone know an easy to get the Tank Tracker export to be easily compatible to import into Fuel?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    The new app, "Fuel," won't let me enter the volume purchased. The numbers appear as I type then disappear. I don't have any maintenance services scheduled. Consequently, it's useless. Anyone else have this issue? I'm running webOS 1.3.1 and a myriad of patches. I've tried uninstall and reinstall. Fuel, is what Tank Tracker should be and I'd like to switch.

Also, anyone know an easy to get the Tank Tracker export to be easily compatible to import into Fuel?

Thanks
    First, the best place for support would be via the app catalog... click the app then support button (the dev replied to my problem within an hour).

Second, I ran into this issue as well. Its becuase you setup a vehicle without a value for capacity filled in (which defaults to .000).

So to fix, add a new vehicle and be sure to input your vehicle's fuel tank capacity.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    As MLJones8 indicates (thanks for pointing me to the post), you may have run into an issue he reported last night where the unit selector for the Capacity field of a vehicle incorrectly causes a minuscule value to be placed into the field when the unit is changed and there was no starting value; changing the unit converts the value for you. The .000 value being in the Capacity field prematurely allows the Vehicle to be confirmed/submitted, setting the Capacity of that vehicle to the .000 value. The problem then manifests itself in the Fueling Event scene when trying to input a value into the Volume field because the input value is validated against the vehicle's Capacity; entering a value larger than the Capacity (or its conversion) will automatically adjust the value.

This is easy to fix (until I get a proper fix to the initial cause posted), by going back into the Vehicle scene and editing the Capacity value. Editing a Vehicle is accomplished by tapping the top drop-down bar in the main scene and then tapping on the icon to the right of the listed vehicle.

As for importing, the best way to see what Fuel expects on import, is to input some dummy data and export. Then modify the exported spreadsheet via Google Docs. The column names in the exported spreadsheet should be self explanatory, but I am in the process of documenting them on the support site. I have considered providing the ability to import data from other trackers, but I have a few other things that need to be taken care of first.

-Rob
    A new build has been submitted to Palm, so keep an eye on the app catalog. I'll post again when I see it has been published.

-Rob
    Fuel v0.8.45 has posted to the app catalog.

-Rob
    I have 2 questions:
    1) Where'd the app go? I can't find it in the app catalog anymore.
    2) WHY is this free? This is the best app of it's kind, I'd be willing to part with a couple of dollars for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatethisregistration View Post
    I have 2 questions:
    1) Where'd the app go? I can't find it in the app catalog anymore.
    2) WHY is this free? This is the best app of it's kind, I'd be willing to part with a couple of dollars for it.
    1. Search for 'fuel' its the second app.

2. I'd assume rbtwhiz is making a name for him/herself; it is the best of its kind but who complains about free?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Where is it? There was a glitch in the App Catalog that prevented it from showing up in any search results. Fuel isn't the only app that was affected; a couple of other developers experienced the same issue with their apps. The problem (for me) started on December 22nd, and was finally fixed late last night (December 30th); apparently the right person at Palm saw some comments on the dev forums and decided to fix it. You should now be able to search for Fuel by name, or a whole slew of related terms, and it should show up in the list of results.

Why is it free? Well... partly because I want to establish my name and build confidence in my work, and partly because I think the bar for paid apps needs to be set higher. I can't be the guy I complain about...

-Rob
    Just a heads up... Fuel v0.8.47 is posted to the app catalog. Details on what made it in the build is posted to the webos_rbtwhiz Google Group.

-Rob
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I think app is great.

But now that I've entered two entries for when I've filled up the car with fuel, I would've expected my MPG to be worked out. But its blank. The reason I wanted this app was for MPG monitoring... but it doesnt show it?

FYI - for each of the two entries, I filled in every thing it has asked for (bar location of petrol station) i.e. price per litre, volume filled in, miles covered, etc.

I would want to see MPG (imperial) but on the summary menu it shows MPL and the value is zero. Am I missing something ?
    The default volume unit (U.S Gallons, Imp. Gallons, Litre) for a vehicle is set within the Vehicle scene; the same is true of all vehicle specific defaults. You can get to the Vehicle scene to edit a vehicle by tapping on the icon to the right of that vehicle in the drop-down menu at the top of the Main scene. The units you choose will be used for display within the Main scene.

In the Fueling Event scene, directly above the Volume field is a toggle labeled "Filled Tank." This toggle is for indicating that the tank was filled by that event. This tells the application that it can calculate your distance per volume (MPG) based on the values you've entered for that event. When the toggle is left in the NO position, it tells the application that it cannot calculate MPG for that event based on the values from that event alone. The formula itself is very simple, but it requires reliable values for volume and distance... and if the tank is not filled then the volume pumped into the vehicle for that event (as displayed on the pump, and thus entered into the field) cannot be used to accurately calculate MPG. Given this, the application currently excludes partial fillups from calculated averages; which means if you haven't set that toggle to ON for any of the Fueling Event records, you haven't given the application the information it needs in order to display what you want to know. If you did fill the tank and you need to modify the event to toggle the option ON, simply tap on the event you want to edit, tap the toggle and commit. Hint: Fueling Events with gray odometer titles in the History list are the ones that have this toggle in the NO position.

-Rob
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

I realised that I had the 'filled tank' toggle set to NO. This is because for some reason I kept thinking was a flag on whether I had filled the tank... to the brim. My bad, because if that was the case, then there would be no need for me to enter how much fuel I filled up with (as the capacity is already defined in the vehicle scene).

Thanks again!
    Great! Glad its working for you now.

I'm always interested in [constructive] feedback... and I'm constantly trying to improve the experience for the broadest range of users, so I'm interested in understanding what it was about the toggle that didn't "click" for you initially; what caused you to end up in the predicament you did. Was it the wording of the label? Was it the idea that you would even need a toggle for such a thing in the first place? If the wording was different would it have made a difference? Was the Quick Help section/drawer not convenient enough? Was the Quick Help description not clear enough? Did you notice that Quick Help was there at all?

FWIW, I'm genuinely interested in your response to these questions. I want to make things convenient and useful, without them getting in the way.

-Rob