Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Does anyone take into consideration that every piece of electronics that is released today is released before it is complete. Patches are the wave of the future as far as keeping up to date and as long as the pre has the fastest to use easiest to customize and also the software with most promise. You'll see me with my pre for way longer than anyone will be able to have an iphone before it breaks or dies. Give me a palm product anyway. Sorry to say man but it sounds like youre only intelligent enough to have an iphone (In my opinion one of the most overrated phones ever made). I suggest anyone (including this guy who aren't very tech literate) should just stick to the iphone and quitcher*****en.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawley View Post
    If I could I would rate 90 percent of the palm Pre apps 1 star. I don't know what pathetic waste of life form thinks that its ok to settle for these rediculousely pathetic excuse for an app.. I know the Pre has the specs to be able to play all the cool apps iphone can play.. But yet day by day piece of sh** apps get thrown into the app catalog wasting our time and money. I don't know who these people that run this show think they are putting these half *** apps in the market for people to spend there money on and you think these are worth real american currency. **** NO I wouldn't spend a ****in penny I found on these apps.... Ur telling me palm you have the smarts to create this lovely phone with touch technologie and can't find A ****ING DESCENT Developers to design above a average apps not these stupid simple minded rookie *** apps. Honesly who actually thinks that CONNECT 4 IS WORTH 5 GOD DAMN DOLLARS UR OUT OF UR ****ING MIND. THAT GAME ISN't WORTH THE BATTERY USED TO FIND AND DOWNLOAD IT.. LET ALONE god damn dallors I don't even think there a free app on iphones market that is not better then everysinle app on Pre other then pandora one of iphones top rates games is less then 5 dollars withe better graphics and palm has the nerve to try to charge us 5 ****ing dallors for this dumb *** connect 4.
    We have 4 fart apps.
    None are free.
    One even costs $5
    People actually pay money and download and app that's sole purpose is to make a fart sound.
    This pretty much sums up everything wrong with the app store.

When google comes along and gives away everything for free on the droid like they have in every other medium they have attempted to enter and palm fails I can't say I didn't see it coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron91RS View Post
    We have 4 fart apps.
    None are free.
    One even costs $5
    People actually pay money and download and app that's sole purpose is to make a fart sound.
    lol or sums up everything wrong with the people purchasing them..
    all palm is doing is making an open platform people can build what they want to

boycott the developers you dont like, dont blame palm
    Check out GetMeVino!
    rediculousely?
  5.    #25  
    Wow i didnt think it was possible to reply with what is probably the most load of horse C*ck i have ever seen. Again with the iphone and my magnificent love for this piece of technology that you so happen to have made yourself believe. Only to find out you must be blind to the word EXAMPLE i can also use the hero as an example but i dont want to do that cause you just might get the impression im inlove with it and dont know nothin else ol ingorent me..WOW god could you be anymore of a waste of web page space
    What I find sad, Hawley, is that you have a legitimate gripe, but you make it so hard for anyone to agree with you because you talk like a complete tool bag. Take the anger down a few notches and try again.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Hawley, you must feel like you are at the top of the world with your foul-mouthed bashing. Like Jilli Jilly said, you would probably get a more positive response and agreement with others for being critical of the apps. You popping off like this makes you immature and us not taking your criticism more serious. And I do not work for Palm, by the way.
    I have to agree that the app catalog is off to a slow start, and doesnt have the high quality apps the Iphone or android has, but dont pin that on developers, as they can only effectively work with what palm has given them to work with. The catalog is still in Beta, and is still very young; give it time. I personally like several apps in the catalog. Card ace and word ace, scatter, absolute fitness; to name a few.

I can say i have a whole new level of respect for the developers within this community. I tried to develop a simple app, and it nearly exploded my head. The developers who develop the apps, both homebrew and palm approved, the patches, and the themes, are the lifeblood of palm right now. Without the developers and this community, the pre and pixi wouldnt be the success that they are.

So thanks developers for your hard work. Hawley: good things come to those who wait, if you disagree, im sure apple or HTC will take your money.
  9.    #29  
    Well Bro You''ll be alright....I'm not to worried about it.
    I continue to wait to see what happens with the apps....I need Docs to Go before I am going to jump to the WebOs (waiting form my ATT contact to run out)

But I am fretting about this whole app thing. And I agree that lots of apps does not mean lots of good apps. large numbers make it hard to search let alone compare and find good ones.

Which brings up a slightly off topic point. But Palm, Apple, and Motorola have essentially admitted that they are looking to be in the fat middle market where the majority of the consumer population is. While this makes sense from a business standpoint for them to do so it fails two tests that we on this forum are applying to them..

First, the fat middle may not include the tech literate/tech savvy crowd. Some are for sure...but the majority of the fat middle are people who gain immense satisfaction from lifestyle connectivity and stylistic fads etc. Anything wrong with that?..NO. But that is generally not US...the longer time Palm and smartphone devotees. So in the end from a business standpoint, they (Palm , Apple, Motorola) may be marginalizing us devotees in favor of a less demanding and larger demographic (easier to please, easier to sell, easier to profit from)

Second, we also need to recognize that as smartphone devotees we already bring a great deal of expectations and wishes to the table that are not simple things like fart apps and tea timers. We are seeking complex functionality similar to what exists on desktops and our older smart phones. It is not a question of can such tools be developed. They can and the hardware by and large is more than capable. The question for Palm and/or the 3rd party developers is what is the cost of creating an app? What is the size of the potential market for it? And what is the potential rate of return? DataViz is working on Docs to Go and as much as I wish that it was native on the Pre/Pixi, the reality is that they are taking a risk in developing it and simultaneously hoping that the market size grows large enough to make it profitable. Same goes for Epocrates and all the rest. In the end we all have to recognize that what we and all our colleagues may want may not be at a price we are willing to pay for it...so it would fail no matter what. The beauty and tragedy of a free market.

Just My $0.05

Skigs
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Its the price of success. Tons of useless Apps.

If you think its bad in the App Catalog, just take a look at the iTunes App Store - literally hundreds of variations on the same App by the same developer. They are attempting to be findable in a overwhelming flood of apps.

Learn to live with it, its gonna get worse.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    I'm right along with Dave. I downloaded all of the Text Twist style games I could find on the iPhone/iPod Touch. I believe Word Whirl beats most, if not all of them, in playability. Wobble Words feels just as good as an iPhone game app. It is possible to develop good games for this platform, with the current SDK.

The problem I'm having right now is justifying the time, from what looks like meager sales. We haven't received numbers yet, but from the looks of things, I will still be a fraction of minimum wage for my time. Once the app limit is removed, hopefully people will reward developers of apps they enjoy. Otherwise, all you will have is crappy hobbyist apps. I must spend time on what will put food on our table. Simple as that.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    As a developer this thread isn't doing very well to make me want to spend my precious time developing apps for people that don't seem to appreciate anything. It seems too few people realize that the apps in the app catalog as well as in the home brew community are not made by Palm, but by independent developers. Most of the developers work full time jobs and we develop apps and patches for WebOS as a hobby or in our free time. So for people like Hawley who seem to be able to do nothing but complain, you need to realize that threads to blast or flame the applications, and therein the developers making them, all you are doing is giving us developers even less incentive to develop good applications that take time to make, time that we could be spending to make actual money. If there are applications that you would really like to see made, I would suggest starting a request thread detailing what you want. Offering a bounty wouldn't hurt either as it would make it worth the time to develop.
    when do you think the gpu will be activated and a new SDK or GDK will be provided? i really like the pre and can wait for these crazy good programs, as these current ones are good and fulfil my needs.

on a side note, i'm from the uk and was wondering (because the app catalog is only like 10 apps here) do homebrew apps work here? and also how much are homebrew apps on average?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunil 237 View Post
    ...i'm from the uk and was wondering (because the app catalog is only like 10 apps here) do homebrew apps work here?
    Once in developer mode, yes, any of them. It would feel rather limited to me if it wasn't for the patches and apps freed up by using homebrew. I loved my Pre on first impressions but the extra tweaks from Preware etc. has added some huge functionality!
    Threads like this make me sad for the fact that pre-teens are allowed on the internet unsupervised.
    |
    |
    |
    V
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Threads like this make me sad for the fact that pre-teens are allowed on the internet unsupervised.
    |
    |
    |
    V
    i love you for that clip!
    i'm going to have a search for my red dial phone in a while
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron91RS View Post
    We have 4 fart apps.
    None are free.
    One even costs $5
    I agree. I think Palm should give us an option in the app catalog to hide apps, or place them in a junk container so that we don't see them. We could junk by individual app or developer. This would be account specific so each person's Pre could be customized to show what they want.

I get tired of scrolling through apps that I don't care for, in the hopes of finding something worth buying. If I could hide an app that I know I'll never touch, it would help to cut down on the frustration level and also help to find something that I would try/buy.
    I WOULD LOVE IT IF IT WAS POSSIBLE IN FUTURE TO MAKE A LIE DETECTOR TEST APP....LIKE THE PHONE COULD RUN TEST READS THRough THE PULSE OF YOUR FINGERS FOR ACCURATE RESULTS..
    Irocdaspot513, I think your keyboard might be broken.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast