Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As you all know this app only works if you type in 11 or 12 numbers on the phone. Any less then you get an error message. If you want to use Barcodes that include letters or less numbers you have to scan your card and download it onto their website and retrieve it from your phone. It's not that bad if you do what I did, especially since I don't have my gym card, but they did give me my bar code number. If you type in your bar code number at Free Online Barcode Generator: Make a Custom Barcode in Seconds or Free Online Barcode Generator - by morovia.com - highlight it, right click on the bar code, click "save image as" onto your desktop, it works pretty well. You can even go into your windows photo gallery Paint app and crop it. I found for the first one I recommended, a setting of 200 width and 125 height is the same setting they use in the app itself. The second one I think a dimension of like 2 and a height of 1300 worked for me. I also click off the "Show Human Readable Text" check mark. In the phones app itself, you have to fill out all info or it will not send anything to your phone.
    Does this app really work when you try and have the barcode scanned?
  3.    #3  
    Yes. It's not perfect, so you gotta read the reviews, but if you put a little effort you can can make this work just fine. I haven't tried the updated version in grocery stores, but I guess it usually doesn't work there.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I've already used this app at my grocer and at CVS - both works well but only with hand-held scanners.
    This app is junk. Out of all of my cards it only let me add 1. It told me my numbers were incorrect lenght for 7 others. So now i have to scan my barcodes and upload them to some website to get them to work. Whats the point of that? How can you make an app that doesnt work for the most common cards give me a break. Now im stuck cutting out pieces of paper and scanning barcodes uploading crap. This shouldnt have been released the way it is. And just so everyone knows you can just take a picture of your cards with your phone and they scan at stores.
  6.    #6  
    This app works fine if you use it the way they recommend. I agree that most people won't comment if the app is working the way they expect it too. Here's a tip: If you download "Brightness unlinked" or Jason Robatelli's (I apologize for spelling your name wrong Jason) Brightness Patch, turn down your brightness, the apps will work better for non-handheld scanners. Still not a perfect fix. If you don't want to download anything, then just wait for your Pre to dim on it's own. That's how I accidentally got mine to work in L.A. Fitness. Let's just find ways to make this work, rather than shot it down.
    Last edited by sevenlkl@yahoo.com; 12/09/2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: I didn't think my comment was very helpful
    When i contacted them they told me less than 3% of people useing the app are having problems. I find this hard to believe since out of 33 reviews that they now have.. about 20 of them are negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenlkl@yahoo.com View Post
    True. They claim that they tested this app and it was in beta, but their is no way it could have been with this many complaints, by this many people.
    Thanks for posting the link - we'll be adding manual generation of barcodes to the site soon. 1200 people and 20 complaints. When things work for people, they usually don't say anything.

When the instructions are followed and valid UPC's are used for manual generation, and other cards scanned, beta tests were just fine. We had the same complaints as the reviewers from testers that entered in barcodes that were not valid upc's. Their problems were fixed when they scanned in their cards.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    When i contacted them they told me less than 3% of people useing the app are having problems. I find this hard to believe since out of 33 reviews that they now have.. about 20 of them are negative.
    Again - 1200 downloads and 20 complaints.
    And UPC is still the typical American standard - not Code 39, 128B, Interleaved 2 of 5 ... These will all be implemented, but as I told you in our emails before, the directions were very clear about the types of barcodes you could manually enter. The app is crap when used improperly.

We update and enhance all our apps. This one is no exception.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    Thanks for posting the link - we'll be adding manual generation of barcodes to the site soon. 1200 people and 20 complaints. When things work for people, they usually don't say anything.

When the instructions are followed and valid UPC's are used for manual generation, and other cards scanned, beta tests were just fine. We had the same complaints as the reviewers from testers that entered in barcodes that were not valid upc's. Their problems were fixed when they scanned in their cards.

Again - 1200 downloads and 20 complaints.
    And UPC is still the typical American standard - not Code 39, 128B, Interleaved 2 of 5 ... These will all be implemented, but as I told you in our emails before, the directions were very clear about the types of barcodes you could manually enter. The app is crap when used improperly.

We update and enhance all our apps. This one is no exception.
    I can agree with that, because in the directions it does clearly state what scanners will work. I think the problem is when people (me included) have higher hopes then what the app was created to do. In L.A. Fitness, I got the app to work once out of 5 attempts so far. I don't believe its the right type of scanner to be used with this app anyway. I do know that the IPhones app has trouble with the same scanner at L.A. Fitness, so that really does tell me that it's not the app. I do apologize for my negative comment. I just really like this app, and want it to work everywhere. I am still going to keep trying at my gym since I did get it to work there once. If it works once, it will work again, I just have to figure out how I held it.
    Thanks for this app, and I hope you guys keep evolving it.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I've used it at CVS and my grocer's, and I notice it only works with hand-held scanners - it won't work on the "table" scanners.
    Have released a new version to Palm that works with a manual generator on the cardkeeper website. Hopefully it will go through soon.

If you lost any of your previously scanned in cards, there appears to have been some glitch with the old stored data. Rescan for now if you like, but you should wait to do it again after the update so you can use the generated ones and not have to do any image editing.
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    I just got this app. I tried it in CVS and it did not work; I see from the posts CVS is one of the places that it has worked for people. I am wondering how people have it working - is it the typing in of the numbers, or is it only working when you scan the card and download it, or use an outside bar code generator. If this app would work then the WOG Card Keeper would be an awesome asset to have... I always forget my cards. Any help appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by StacyL79 View Post
    I just got this app. I tried it in CVS and it did not work; I see from the posts CVS is one of the places that it has worked for people. I am wondering how people have it working - is it the typing in of the numbers, or is it only working when you scan the card and download it, or use an outside bar code generator. If this app would work then the WOG Card Keeper would be an awesome asset to have... I always forget my cards. Any help appreciated.
    The generated codes are better than scanned in images. Did you check all of the codes listed and make sure the one you picked "matched" your CVS card? A match is the same sequence of black bars (fat, medium, skinny, skinny, fat, skinny.....). If yours doesn't match, try putting the barcode in again with no spaces.

If it is a match, did the clerk use a hand scanner? The flat bed scanners will not work. Also, do you use a screen protector? These interfere with the scanning. You can also change the barcode size and background color by flicking the barcode or tapping the background. Have you tried different sizes and backgrounds?

Here's a copy of the scanning tips from my website:

Tip 1) Do not use Card Keeper at flatbed scanners. Rarely they will work but often times they don’t.

Tip 2) Scan the barcode face-on! Do NOT scan at an angle. Otherwise, the laser will reflect off the screen and will not scan your barcode.

Tip 3) Turn your screen brightness down. Less bright light means less interference when scanning. We will try and auto-reduce your brightness in a future update when Palm opens up the capability. For now, keep it low - this also helps save your battery!

Tip 4) Keep your phone screen clean. Prior to scanning, remove all fingerprints and smudges.

Tip 5) Place the scanner 5 to 6 inches away from the screen. Any closer or further away and it’s unlikely the barcode will scan.

PLEASE note tips 2 and 5 are by far the MOST IMPORTANT!

Edit - forgot to mention. When scanning - hold the phone still. Our tendency is to wave it around to find a sweet spot, but holding it still in the correct distance/position works best.

Mitch
    Any way to stop getting the email updates of new versions? Some of us actually check the App Catalog pretty regularly and don't want to be bothered by emails about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Any way to stop getting the email updates of new versions? Some of us actually check the App Catalog pretty regularly and don't want to be bothered by emails about it.
    No problem. There shouldn't be any more emails. It had just been ahwile since a release was sent out, I wanted to make sure everyone knew the progress.
    Here is the 21st Complaint! :-) I did not see an easy way to complain so I didn't
    I'd say change it to taking a pic of the bar code instead of generating one and then your program crops it to the right size and then lets us organize them as we want. (Stores, Libraries, Health Clubs and so on)
    THAT would be Nice!!
    But I do like the idea you were going for.
    Out of the 4 cards I needed it could do Zero of them - oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chull View Post
    Here is the 21st Complaint! :-) I did not see an easy way to complain so I didn't
    I'd say change it to taking a pic of the bar code instead of generating one and then your program crops it to the right size and then lets us organize them as we want. (Stores, Libraries, Health Clubs and so on)
    THAT would be Nice!!
    But I do like the idea you were going for.
    Out of the 4 cards I needed it could do Zero of them - oh well.
    If the phone could take a decent pic of a barcode I'd have it scanning them, but it can't.

Do you have the latest version (1.1.3)? I'm curious to know what type of barcode your cards are since the app now generates 13 different kinds. If you find out I can add it.

So categories for the cards? I could do that. Right now, you can drag cards to reorder the list, or use the Alphabetical switch in preferences to sort alphabetically.
    I did the recent update to Cardkeeper, and now all my barcodes are blank. I hope I don't have to rescan all of them again. Any ideas??
    It sounds a lovely app, but why do people need barcode scanners on their phones?

When I go to the supermarket if I want to know the price of something I look at the price written on the shelf underneath the item. I don't really want to go to the trouble of getting out my phone and scanning the barcode when it is written in front of me.

If the item is not priced, I ask a shop assistant.

Are things different in the US these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by Berath View Post
    It sounds a lovely app, but why do people need barcode scanners on their phones?

When I go to the supermarket if I want to know the price of something I look at the price written on the shelf underneath the item. I don't really want to go to the trouble of getting out my phone and scanning the barcode when it is written in front of me.

If the item is not priced, I ask a shop assistant.

Are things different in the US these days?
    Hello Berath,

Being able to punch in a barcode and taking it to a scanner is only a bonus part of the app. This isn't a barcode scanner but a barcode generator. The main function of the app is to store your "shopper cards". Over here, the grocery stores, gyms, video stores, libraries, etc.. all give you a little keyfob and/or card as your membership card. These all have barcodes on them. With this app you can punch in that code and it will generate the barcode on your phone and save it to a list. When you go to a place that uses one of these, you can tap on that card in your list and the checkout person can scan your membership number with a hand scanner directly from your phone. You do not need to carry around the keyfobs or cards.

Mitch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast