Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I'm in the market for a good RSS feed application. There seem to be several available in both Homebrew and the App Catalog. Prices range from free up to $4.99.

So has anyone used these higher priced apps found them to be enough better than the cheaper - and free - apps?

I really don't want to have to buy more than one, and if I can fit my usage to a free one that's even better. However, I am willing to purchase even the highest priced one if it will meet my needs better than anything else.

I haven't used any of the apps yet, so I don't know yet if something fits this, but here is what I want. For my usage I need to have the ability to add feeds in the app (don't want to have to use another service like Google) and I don't want a bunch of built in feeds forced on me - unless of course I can delete them. I want a clear, easy to read interface, but I don't need a lot of "pretties" as long as it's functional. I would also prefer a landscape option to be available.

Bottom line... out of the available options, what is truly the best RSS feed application?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Get Feeds from PreWare
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Get Newsroom. Best UI by far. My most used app.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rquinn19 View Post
    Get Feeds from PreWare
    Sure. And what happens when the Beta expires on Dec 8th?

To actually answer your question, Spader, the only one I can seriously recommend to you is NewsRoom. Why? There are currently 3 worthwhile RSS Reader Apps in the Catalog. NewsRoom, Scoop, and Feeds. Using your wishlist, I'll break the options down...

For my usage I need to have the ability to add feeds in the app (don't want to have to use another service like Google)
    Both Scoop and Feeds are Google Reader clients. You cannot add or delete feeds from within these Apps. You will need to do all maintenance within the Google Reader page. NewsRoom and My Feeds are the only two apps I know of that allow adding feeds on the Pre. My Feeds only has 2 ratings, but averages 4 stars. One of the reviews cites difficulty in adding certain feeds, but I cannot confirm this personally. I've used NewsRoom for a month now, and had no issues adding feeds.

I don't want a bunch of built in feeds forced on me - unless of course I can delete them.
    Since Scoop and Feeds both sync with your Google Reader account, they will only display what your Reader account has subscribed to. NewsRoom does come preloaded with feeds, but they are easily deleted. Again, I cannot vouch for My Feeds since I have never used it.

I want a clear, easy to read interface, but I don't need a lot of "pretties" as long as it's functional. I would also prefer a landscape option to be available.
    Scoop uses a traditional black-text-on-white-background template, and has easy-to-read text, albeit a bit large for my taste. Feeds gives a choice between light gray or dark gray themes. Both Scoop and Feeds support Landscape viewing, while NewsRoom only views in Portrait. Of them all, NewsRoom provides the most eye-candy, displaying feeds in an iPhone-style icon layout and relying heavily upon gestures to navigate. Such style comes at the cost of resources however, as NewsRoom is sometimes the slowest of the three.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    Such style comes at the cost of resources however, as NewsRoom is sometimes the slowest of the three.
    Actually since the update yesterday, Newsroom has been flying (for me)... The update fixed the speed issues that came with webos 1.3.1
  6.    #6  
    Thanks a lot for the input so far...

As my biggest need is that I can add my own feeds, it does not appear that the current version of Feeds (Preware) will work for me. The notes do say that the function to add feeds will be added in a future release - probably when it hits the App catalog.

Newsroom is the most expensive of the lot, so it's not altogether surprising that it's getting the best reviews here in this thread.

Does anyone have any experience with TechTray? I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme in the screen shots, but for only $.99 it's a value if it does what I need. My biggest question would be if you can get rid of the feeds that are built in. The description does say you can add your own, but I don't need all the ones it comes with.
    I bought Scoop, Feeds, and Newsroom. Since getting Newsroom, I uninstalled the others. Its UI is fantastic- so much that I enjoy reading news again! Whereas before it was almost a chore going through feeds looking for something interesting, now I swipe through and catch things I might have otherwise missed if I had just read the headline.

Here is another review of Newsroom:

App Review: Newsroom turned inside out - all things Palm Pre - PreThinking
  8.    #8  
    News room does look very good, and it very well may be the one I end up going with.

Any one else have any input?
    newsroom has the potential to be the best. I'm giving up on it for now. The first release was buggy in terms of feeds getting stuck, then it was ok but it consumed many resources, and now, its lightning fast, but feeds don't update properly anymore. that last part is the biggie, because it makes the app useless. I don't get it because they get some really hard things very right, and some really easy things terribly wrong.

once everything is fixed, newsroom will be awesome. the developers are on these boards sometimes, maybe they'll chime in.
    Which reader has biggest fonts? Is there a way to change the fonts on any of them?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogu View Post
    newsroom has the potential to be the best. I'm giving up on it for now. The first release was buggy in terms of feeds getting stuck, then it was ok but it consumed many resources, and now, its lightning fast, but feeds don't update properly anymore. that last part is the biggie, because it makes the app useless. I don't get it because they get some really hard things very right, and some really easy things terribly wrong.

once everything is fixed, newsroom will be awesome. the developers are on these boards sometimes, maybe they'll chime in.
    I think NewsRoom passes all feeds through their own server so that they can be properly formatted for the app. Doing so puts you at the mercy of their network, which can get slow sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by icesalmon View Post
    Which reader has biggest fonts? Is there a way to change the fonts on any of them?
    I only use NewsRoom and Scoop. Scoop has the largest fonts of the two. If I remember, I'll post screenshots later today showing an example.
    Does NewsRoom require an active data connected for reading each story? Or only when updating feeds? It would be nice to have a feed reader that pulls the feeds down locally for the times when you don't have service.
    only when updating feeds
    I use both Feeds and Newsroom, and love both of thim.
    Jimmie Geddes
    i use feeds. simple and to the point..though it does suck u have to manually put the feeds in google reader on your pc.. or with a web browser.. but after u get it setup..totally rocks.. im using the free version.. Isnt it supposed to expire?
    I have both Feeds & Scoop, and I use them both. However, I tend to gravitate towards Scoop because of its speed of transitioning between articles. Feeds has a nice notification of new articles, which is great. It also renders pics and text better. When Feeds incorporates the back gesture in landscape mode, I will probably use it exclusively.

The benefits of using Google Reader are worth considering. I read my RSS feeds on my Pre, home computers, and work computer. So, it keeps me synced no matter where I am viewing things. It also means that I dont lose my place if I have to reset my Pre or if I need to switch devices.

Just my opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    Does NewsRoom require an active data connected for reading each story? Or only when updating feeds? It would be nice to have a feed reader that pulls the feeds down locally for the times when you don't have service.
    NewsRoom does not require an active data collection. As long as you updated your sites while you had a connection, you can read them offline later. That feature is great for the underground part of my daily commute.

NewsRoom's my app of choice in this area. I fully admit to picking it not because of it's functionality, but because of the app's eye candy and responsive developer who takes users feedback and suggestions. The fact that it's a solid app that does everything I personally need it to is fantastic.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    go with newsroom, its my most used app other than checkbook
    Howdy all, I'm one of the developers that made NewsRoom, so obviously I'm a little biased.

Thank you all for the kind words. Nothing warms our hearts like positive reviews of the product we've worked very hard on.

We've used many RSS apps between all of us in the office and the main things that bothered us was that many feeds were just too short to be very useful and lists of headlines were just uncompelling for us as users. Mobile readers also tend to be very resource intensive and very chatty with notifications. I think we've tackled all of these pretty well with NewsRoom.

The one thing that sets NewsRoom apart that hasn't really been mentioned here is that it expands normally pretty useless feeds into rich feeds optimized for your device. You should compare what NewsRoom shows for feeds like NYT, CNN, Yahoo News, etc. Those feeds (and many other major content providers) tend to show just a few sentences and require that you use the browser to fetch the full article. NewsRoom in many cases will deliver the full article when it fetches new content, so it's ready when you want to look through it and makes it especially handy when you don't have a network connection.

The other thing that utilizing our own server brings us is the ability for the app to be very gentle on your phone's resources. We only deliver the content that is new or has changed since the last check. So whether the app updates 5 times a day or 50 times a day, the penalty on your battery is about the same. This allows us to keep the content very fresh without abusing your battery. Other readers that operate directly against feeds tend to fetch entire feeds to deliver you the one new article that has arrived.

And lastly, Hogu is right, we have had a nagging issue with some feeds not updating. In the process of optimizing the application to be very quick and light on memory usage, we've reintroduced the issue in the last update. I believe we've got that bug sorted out and are testing a fix so we can have the best of both worlds. Palm has been pushing out updates in less than a week these days, so hopefully that will be out there in short order. Probably the best thing our product offers is a responsive and committed team who will see to it that it operates the way it was intended.

Good luck with your decision.

Eric
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I decided on Newsroom and I love it. It's the slickest application on WebOS, IMO. I can now get rid of AP News, NYT, Newsweek, and Express news. I barely even use the web browser anymore since most of my bookmarks were to news sites. I added my local newspapers and even the Twitter account '****mydadsays'.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast