Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I just wanted to chime in on this thread to say I'm diggin' the update. The wireless backup/restore works like a charm, AND he incorporated my suggestion on the PIN entry screen! Yay!
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    I just wanted to chime in on this thread to say I'm diggin' the update. The wireless backup/restore works like a charm, AND he incorporated my suggestion on the PIN entry screen! Yay!
    What version is JVault on now? I tried looking it up in the app store but it's not listed. Something about a Wi-Fi Feature?

More importantly, for someone who has been on the fence with a cloud-based password manager, is jVault really the [chosen] one?

In related news (non JVault),time and time again, I keep hearing about how companies data keeps getting hacked into. Just because a company says something like "your data is secure" doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

For now, I still keep my Treo 800w and the non-cloud SplashID version...
    Is the new wireless feature of JVault 1.2.5 a way to synchronize the data or is just an extension of the current method of simply copying the database?

If it isn't synchronizing, are you planning on adding synchronization? *What time frame would we be looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    What version is JVault on now? I tried looking it up in the app store but it's not listed. Something about a Wi-Fi Feature?

More importantly, for someone who has been on the fence with a cloud-based password manager, is jVault really the [chosen] one?

In related news (non JVault),time and time again, I keep hearing about how companies data keeps getting hacked into. Just because a company says something like "your data is secure" doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

For now, I still keep my Treo 800w and the non-cloud SplashID version...
    jVault is up to version 1.2.5.

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

The jVault Desktop app is at version 1.3.0.

CohoSoft - jVault Desktop

The WiFi syncing doesn't touch the cloud at all. It works over your existing WiFi home network. That means that you have to use the WiFi radio to do the actual sync. The Desktop application has a tiny web server built into it. The webOS version of jVault talks to the desktop app thru that service. It actually works really well.

I like it because it keeps my data on my network. I'm not a fan of the cloud. I also like it because the interface is clean, efficient, and functional. This is one of the first apps I bought for my Pre, and I've been praising it ever since. I haven't tried any of the other password managers, so I can't really give you a comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Is the new wireless feature of JVault 1.2.5 a way to synchronize the data or is just an extension of the current method of simply copying the database?

If it isn't synchronizing, are you planning on adding synchronization? *What time frame would we be looking at?
    It's not a true sync. The interface has a "Get Info" button. This will show you the last modified dates of the webOS and Desktop versions of the database so that you know which file is newer.

I'm not the dev, so I can't answer that 2nd question. I'm just a really good fan. I do see the dev comment on this thread every now and then tho.
    jVault is up to version 1.2.5.

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

The jVault Desktop app is at version 1.3.0.

CohoSoft - jVault Desktop

The WiFi syncing doesn't touch the cloud at all. It works over your existing WiFi home network. That means that you have to use the WiFi radio to do the actual sync. The Desktop application has a tiny web server built into it. The webOS version of jVault talks to the desktop app thru that service. It actually works really well.

I like it because it keeps my data on my network. I'm not a fan of the cloud. I also like it because the interface is clean, efficient, and functional. This is one of the first apps I bought for my Pre, and I've been praising it ever since. I haven't tried any of the other password managers, so I can't really give you a comparison.
    If I'm reading between the lines correctly, I think I'm going to have to wait 'till the Sprint Pixi gets WiFi, essentialy wait to see what HP has in store. Until then, no cloud password program for me. Am I on the right track?
    If I'm reading between the lines correctly, I think I'm going to have to wait 'till the Sprint Pixi gets WiFi, essentialy wait to see what HP has in store. Until then, no cloud password program for me. Am I on the right track?
    Not quite. While you DO generally need WiFi to sync with the Desktop app, that's not necessarily the case if you set up your own server.

You could:

1. Set up a port forward rule in your Internet router, allowing the webOS jVault app to slice right through to the Desktop app from an Internet accessible IP. This would let you use it over EVDO.
    2. Follow the acceptable instructions from the jVault manual to set up a "thin" web server and use the supplied php script to send/receive the database. This would also work over EVDO.

It's all pretty well laid out in the jVault manual. I'd check it out. http://cohosoft.com/jvault_user_guide.pdf

CS
    FYI, looks like the webOS jVault app is now up to 1.3.0 today. I sent the dev a few bugs, and it looks like he just fixed them. =) Very responsive to support and bug reports.

My only real complaint now is that the jVault icon is orange instead of blue. I like the color blue. LOL!
    If I'm reading between the lines correctly, I think I'm going to have to wait 'till the Sprint Pixi gets WiFi...Am I on the right track?
    Not quite. While you DO generally need WiFi to sync with the Desktop app, that's not necessarily the case if you set up your own server.

You could:

1. Set up a port forward rule in your Internet router, allowing the webOS jVault app to slice right through to the Desktop app from an Internet accessible IP. This would let you use it over EVDO.
    2. Follow the acceptable instructions from the jVault manual to set up a "thin" web server and use the supplied php script to send/receive the database. This would also work over EVDO.

It's all pretty well laid out in the jVault manual. I'd check it out. http://cohosoft.com/jvault_user_guide.pdf

CS
    Seriously, this is too much work. In 2002, I would do this. But were in the next decade of the 21st century. I'll wait 'till the next hardware upgrade.
    Seriously, this is too much work. In 2002, I would do this. But were in the next decade of the 21st century. I'll wait 'till the next hardware upgrade.
    Really? Seriously? Wow. Well, more power to ya... I just can't believe that's the reason you would deny yourself a useful utility.
    I am assuming the Pixi, like the Pre, can be plugged in to the computer as a USB drive right? If so, you don't need WiFi. jVault now has the ability to copy the file via the USB cable. As noted above, this isn't true syncing...but right now it's the closest thing we've got.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Actually, SecuStore recently released their desktop program and it DOES do true syncing. Only over WiFi though, not USB. Also, Secret! Does syncing but it's a little different. Each record is more of a free entry text box - there's no individual fields for name, pass, etc.
    I"m hoping jVault will have improvements for Web OS 2.0.
    On page 33 of the user guide, is this "wireless web server method" the same thing as Sprint, AT&T and Verizon's data plan? I have Sprint.
    http://www.cohosoft.com/jvault_user_guide.pdf
    Bump on question above.
    On page 33 of the user guide, is this "wireless web server method" the same thing as Sprint, AT&T and Verizon's data plan? I have Sprint.
    http://www.cohosoft.com/jvault_user_guide.pdf
    Only if you access it via 3G. If you're using WiFi, then it doesn't consume bandwidth for your data plan. If you have Sprint, you have unlimited data on 3G, so it shouldn't matter to you.
    [QUOTE=KevMeister;2730611]On page 33 of the user guide, is this "wireless web server method" the same thing as Sprint, AT&T and Verizon's data plan? I have Sprint.
    [url]

It has nothing to do with your cellular carrier. The connection is made over WiFi with a wireless LAN at your home or office - this means Sprint Pixis can't do it.
    It has nothing to do with your cellular carrier. The connection is made over WiFi with a wireless LAN at your home or office - this means Sprint Pixis can't do it.
    That's not entirely true. Interacting directly with the desktop application, it happens over WiFi. However when setting up your own web server it's entirely at your discretion. If you allow incoming connections to the system you've set your web server up on, you can get to it from anywhere on the Internet, and therefore over 3G and with a Pixi.
    Yes, you can set up a web server & connect to it over cellular, but it won't do you any good with jVault. Unless you have someone at home who can initiate the sync for you, the connection won't do anything for you. Remember, the way jVault is set up, you initiate & control the sync from the desktop - the phone is mostly a passive connector. I guess I should stop using the word "sync" since jVault can't sync, only copy the database one way or the other.
    Yes, you can set up a web server & connect to it over cellular, but it won't do you any good with jVault. Unless you have someone at home who can initiate the sync for you, the connection won't do anything for you. Remember, the way jVault is set up, you initiate & control the sync from the desktop - the phone is mostly a passive connector. I guess I should stop using the word "sync" since jVault can't sync, only copy the database one way or the other.
    You must not be familiar with the latest version of jVault. You can most certainly initiate a sync from the phone, either to a running desktop client or to a web site. And yes, sync in this case means "copy".

With the latest version of jVault, you can use either the desktop application or set up your own web server applet. From the phone, you can compare the timestamps of the local and remote databases and transfer the file in either direction.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast