Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 128
  1. #81  
    Quote:
    When you import to the desktop, the data is there but all field names are stripped. Interestingly, once a record exitsts on the desktop, you canNOT edit the field names, only fields of new, unsaved records. You CAN edit field names on the phone though. Strange dichotomy.

    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. You can certainly edit the field labels and data for any card imported or created directly. Both on the desktop and Pre versions.
    Using v1.2.2 of the desktop version and importing a csv file created by SplashID 5 reports a successful import. The field data is correctly imported into records and appropriate discrete fields. All field names of the imported records are FieldX: and not the appropriate fieldname (name, password, etc). I discovered how to edit the field names, but it's a bit tortorous - select card, select edit card icon, select field to edit, make changes. A big problem with this is there is no way to CANCEL your changes - it looks like your only choices are accept the changes or delete the record. There's no way to back out if you've made a mistake.

    This is a real problem. I have over 500 records. Because the import is flawed, I have to go back and edit every field name of every record.! Sure, it's nice that all the data is imported, but with no field names imported, the usefullness is severely compromised.

    This import bug REALLY needs to be fixed.

    I guess the main problem I'm having with jVault is that it DOES (mostly) do what it claims to do, it's just not written to be easy to use. The UI really needs some love. There REALLY needs to be a way to cancel changes on the desktop
  2. Quintus's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Quote:
    Using v1.2.2 of the desktop version and importing a csv file created by SplashID 5 reports a successful import. The field data is correctly imported into records and appropriate discrete fields. All field names of the imported records are FieldX: and not the appropriate fieldname (name, password, etc).
    If the field data is not properly aligned on import, you can always edit the csv file in Excel, change the order of the columns or in some cases insert a blank column, and then re-import it. Might take a few tries but you should eventually be able to line up the columns properly. That is the beauty of csv files. They are easily adaptable to any configuration.
  3. #83  
    The point is I shouldn't have to diddle with the csv file at all. The developer claims it can import SplashID 5 csv files, jVault recognizes it as a SplashID csv file. If the import is correctly written, the import would function correctly. It doesn't.

    I know I sound very down on JV. In a way I am. I bought it not because it was the best (it isn't), but was forced to because it had the only desktop solution and claimed to import SplashID files.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    The point is I shouldn't have to diddle with the csv file at all. The developer claims it can import SplashID 5 csv files, jVault recognizes it as a SplashID csv file. If the import is correctly written, the import would function correctly. It doesn't.
    So far as I can tell, jVault does import CSV files generated by SplashID v5 correctly. I've successfully imported data from a CSV file and I know that numerous jVault Desktop users have done so also. So, I can't explain why you are unable to do so with your exported CSV file. So from our testing and user responses, it does work correctly.

    If you have a sample CSV file you can email me, I will test it on my PC and see if I run into the problems you've described.
    cohoman

    Palm Apps:

    jVault and jChecklist
  5. #85  
    I'd love to send you the file, but of course it has all my passwords in it.

    To make sure we're talking about the same thing, I'm not talking about the field data, but the field NAMES.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I'd love to send you the file, but of course it has all my passwords in it.

    To make sure we're talking about the same thing, I'm not talking about the field data, but the field NAMES.
    I was asking for a test file, not your actual data file. Can you create a test database and generate a CSV file to send me? Or is that not possible with SplashID?
    cohoman

    Palm Apps:

    jVault and jChecklist
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    So far as I can tell, jVault does import CSV files generated by SplashID v5 correctly. I've successfully imported data from a CSV file and I know that numerous jVault Desktop users have done so also. So, I can't explain why you are unable to do so with your exported CSV file. So from our testing and user responses, it does work correctly.

    If you have a sample CSV file you can email me, I will test it on my PC and see if I run into the problems you've described.
    I've had a similar experience to govotsos. I think jVault does import SplashID Field Names correctly for the default Types, but I also have found that Field Names have been stripped in my custom made Types, which is a pity for me since one has 700 records and would take days to edit in the jVault desktop.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by suzyQt View Post
    I've had a similar experience to govotsos. I think jVault does import SplashID Field Names correctly for the default Types, but I also have found that Field Names have been stripped in my custom made Types, which is a pity for me since one has 700 records and would take days to edit in the jVault desktop.
    It might be that the CSV file doesn't contain these "custom" labels. Can you open your exported CSV file up and see if it does or does not contain the custom labels?
    cohoman

    Palm Apps:

    jVault and jChecklist
  9. tcurtin's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #89  
    I have a similar issue as well. My website entries all have the fieldnames password, url, field 5, and notes in jvault, but the values in those fields are actually user, password, url, date.

    it's been a while since I did the import, so I don't remember my steps, but I may be able to try again next week if there hasn't been a use case by then.

    Quote Originally Posted by suzyQt View Post
    I've had a similar experience to govotsos. I think jVault does import SplashID Field Names correctly for the default Types, but I also have found that Field Names have been stripped in my custom made Types, which is a pity for me since one has 700 records and would take days to edit in the jVault desktop.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    I have a similar issue as well. My website entries all have the fieldnames password, url, field 5, and notes in jvault, but the values in those fields are actually user, password, url, date.

    it's been a while since I did the import, so I don't remember my steps, but I may be able to try again next week if there hasn't been a use case by then.
    If you can export a CSV file from SplashID and then open it in Excel or Notepad and let me know if you see the custom labels. I have a feeling these custom labels are NOT written to the CSV file, and thus are not available for jVault to use.
    cohoman

    Palm Apps:

    jVault and jChecklist
  11. #91  
    What's the latest from jVault? I'm thinking of biting.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    What's the latest from jVault? I'm thinking of biting.
    Today's the last day for the half-off sale on the Palm Catalog, so it's probably the best time to make a purchase.

    FYI, we've been working on a WiFi solution for transferring a database file between the PC and Pre, so you won't need to use a USB cable to do the database copying. Hopefully, we'll have something available for the public in a few more weeks. After that, we'll look into getting true record syncing working with jVault.
    cohoman

    Palm Apps:

    jVault and jChecklist
  13. #93  
    If this has already been asked, my apology. I'm trying to Export a CSV file from SplashID (V4.2.3) so I can inport it into Jvault. When I select Export To CSV nothing happens. Anyone else having this problem?
  14. #94  
    After you select Export, a dialog should come up asking if you want to export all, currently item, or all selected. Select all then next. You should get a notice that ### records exported. Then it will ask you if you want to email the csv somewhere. Select no and you're done. How far along this chain can you progress. Don't forget the folder & name you selected for the csv - maybe you're looking in the wrong place for it.
  15. #95  
    Thanks for the reply, but I never get the dialog box asking me what I want to export. Was just wondering if anyone else had this issue.
  16. #96  
    OK stupid questions - please don't be offended. Are you opening SID on a computer or PDA / Phone? Mac or Windows (I have Windows but should be similar)? When you open SID, doeas a database open (are records displayed in the window)? When you select File / Export / csv, does ANYTHING happen (errors, another window, etc)? Does it work if you try to export another format?

    Big question - are you sure about the version number? Are you looking on the phone or pc? As far as I can determine from release noted, there is no 4.2.3 for PamOS or Windows / Mac. 4.1.6 is last for Palm & 4.1.5 for desktop. Somewhere in this thread it's noted that JVault will import csv from SplashID 5+. You might want to back up your SID data (export to VID if possible) then install the latest SID trial for your computer so you can create a compatible file.

    *********** NOTE *********

    Several of us have had a problem with JVault not correctly importing SID field names leaving you with the chore of correcting them all by hand. What makes it worse is that you can only edit the field names on the phone - JVault won't let you edit these imported field names on the desktop.

    Also remember that JVault doesn't synchronize records, it just copies the entire database & overwrites it on the other device so NEVER make changes on both the phone & computer.
  17. #97  
    Well, I don't know what changed...tried again tonight and this time it worked. Go figure....Thanks for your assistance. BTW..yes, I do have version 4.2.3 (on my phone).
  18. #98  
    Several of us have had a problem with JVault not correctly importing SID field names leaving you with the chore of correcting them all by hand. What makes it worse is that you can only edit the field names on the phone - JVault won't let you edit these imported field names on the desktop.
    I believe the problem isn't with jVault, but rather SplashID doesn't write out the custom labels to the CSV file. That is why you can't import custom labels into jVault from a SplashID CSV file.

    Can anyone confirm this? I don't have SplashID so I don't have the ability to check this.
    cohoman

    Palm Apps:

    jVault and jChecklist
  19. #99  
    I strongly suggest you checkout LastPass, it's an excellent password manager. They charge a tiny fee but it's well worth it.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    I believe the problem isn't with jVault, but rather SplashID doesn't write out the custom labels to the CSV file. That is why you can't import custom labels into jVault from a SplashID CSV file.

    Can anyone confirm this? I don't have SplashID so I don't have the ability to check this.
    If you examine the CSV created by a jVault export and compare it to the CSV created by a SplashID export, it's not hard to see how you could "enhance" the SplashID CSV so that jVault would be importing a jVault-compliant CSV instead of a SplashID CSV.

    This basically involves adding the jVault-expected CSV column headings, reordering the SplashID columns to match, and then adding your SplashID custom field labels to the appropriate "LabelNN" columns.

    I just did this manually in Excel (which makes it easy to edit CSV files, btw), and I can envision how Excel macros could be developed to mostly automate this "enrichment" task for repeated use.

    I haven't decided whether I'd want to have to do this on a regular basis or not.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions