Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jccomo View Post
    I am a long time SplashID user, but from the comments in this thread I am interested in trying JVault because it has the Desktop feature and Sync function.

Has anyone successfully transferred data from SplashID Desktop to JVault? And if so....what did you do? There are some posts about the transfer not working.

Thanks JC.
    Just to be clear, I don't think Jvault really does Sync yet either. It sounds to me like you can copy one over the other, but no sync.
    But I could be wrong.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I've just bought jVault in the spirit of investigation (the app catalog really needs a try-before-you-buy ethos!). You're correct that there is no sync as such - what is offered is the facility to copy/paste the encrypted database into an email.
    More usefully, however, the database is saved on the media partition (the bit of the Palm's storage that can be seen on the "USB drive"), and can be opened by the jVault desktop app. So if you reguarly back up your media partition then you will be backing up your jVault database.

Sadly, I don't think Palm has left app authors much scope for syncing anything - the only way that I'm aware of is Chapura's approach of running a background task on the PC and having the Pre connect to it by wifi. But, I wouldn't want a seperate PC task running for every program that I have on the Pre... surely some sort of central program would be the answer (we could call it "Hotsync"?) with "conduits" for each program? ;-)

Otherwise, yes, everybody is having to go with the comically clumsy method of copying and pasting information into emails....

EDIT: I found the "sync" option. It does exist, but is not sync, it's a manual copy one way or another - it moves the whole database, not individual records. It only works if the Palm is in "USB drive" mode, so I imagine that behind the scenes it simply copies the db to and from the Media partition.
    Thinking about it, there is scope for genuine sync here - given that the PC application can access the database on the Palm, there's no reason that it couldn't go through it record-by-record. But, AFAICS it doesn't at present :-)

Now, I just have to figure out how it needs the CSV file formatted to import my data usefully...
    Last edited by swaldman; 04/05/2010 at 03:09 AM. Reason: found the feature I'd said was missing!
    True record syncing between two databases isn't a trivial process, so it's taking time to add to jVault. You need to track each unique record id and timestamp, and then decide if a record is new or has been deleted, or changed. And even then you may run into a conflict when two records have both been changed on the different databases, and you need to decide which one to keep.

I am in the process of adding this feature, so in a future release we should have it working.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    True record syncing between two databases isn't a trivial process, so it's taking time to add to jVault. You need to track each unique record id and timestamp, and then decide if a record is new or has been deleted, or changed. And even then you may run into a conflict when two records have both been changed on the different databases, and you need to decide which one to keep.

I am in the process of adding this feature, so in a future release we should have it working.
    Fantastic! Thank you!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I use a PC at home and a Mac at work. I had been using Teal Safe on my old Palm OS phone to store sensitive info, but I found that to be VERY clunky to use.

So I just created an excel spreadsheet with all of my sensitive password data on it which is protected with a master password of its own and is simply stored in a subfolder of My Documents on my desktop. I also use a USB flash drive to backup all of my important documents. I sync that daily (often multiple times) with my PC using SyncToy software and am able to access/edit the files on my Mac at work, but do not store any of the files on the Mac itself - just on the USB drive. So it does true syncing from my PC hard drive and from my USB flash drive.

When I first got my Pre, I thought it would be a good idea to have mobile access to these passwords, but the Doc View program cannot get past the Excel password. I downloaded the My DataBank app, but not sure that I like it. Am now looking into jVault.

Any advice on maintaining my existing framework of the synchronized excel file between PC and USB drive AND using an app on the Pre, or am I just asking for trouble if one gets new info added without syncing to the other?
    Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post
    Any advice on maintaining my existing framework of the synchronized excel file between PC and USB drive AND using an app on the Pre, or am I just asking for trouble if one gets new info added without syncing to the other?
    Both SplashID and JVault desktops can import csv files, so as long as you got the formatting correct, you could import to the Pre that way. The JVault developer/s seems to have very fast response time - you could probably send an email and ask for their thoughts.
    I have been a long time satisfied user of SplashID on Palm OS, and have about 750 records. I purchased the SplashID for WebOS thinking it would be the easiest for exporting the records. Well that was a major pain, had to upgrade to the newer version of SplashID desktop v4.15 from v3.32 (used the trial version of v4.15), export my records from v3.32, import to v4.15, export again, and then attempt to import in the SplashID WebOS.

The WebOS version couldn't successfully import all of the records at once (750), even though SplashData says they have fixed the problem. Well they haven't. I had to break the data into smaller files, and finally I got everything moved over. However, today I had to perform a reset Erase Apps and Data, so I wanted to use the supposed SplashID backup email option. I tried several times and in never produced the email file, seem it again was related to the file size.
    Once I reset my Pre, SplashID was still on the phone with the example records....tried the email backup and it worked with only the 5 records.

Needless to say if it can't backup - that means goodbye.

I hope I have better results with JVault.
    Last edited by Convert; 06/11/2010 at 08:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    What I've found is that while jVault is an improvement over SplashID, it still has severe limitations. Particularly that there is still no true synch, and searching for a record seems to take forever.
    With that said, I was able to take part in the closed beta testing for a similar app called SafeWallet and... well not sure how much they want anyone to divulge at this point but it is really AWSOME. Fast, true synching to a desktop version, etc. From what I understand, they don't plan to release a public version until the next WebOS update is out. Something to do with the PDK or API that should be able to be used in the next version. Keep an eye out for it, though -- it's truly impressive.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    You will have better luck.
    the jVault db is stored in the media partition, so backup is a simple copy when you connect Pre to Pc.
    jVault can send a compressed/encrypted email backup (haven't tried this)
    jVault can send or receive a copy of the database from the pc app. It's not a sync, but it works directly from the pc app.

fwiw, the Preware Save/Restore now can backup/restore SplashID, so that could be a good bet for you too.

I was a SplashID customer for years as well, and have made the switch to jVault on the Pre. Haven't pulled the trigger on the pc app yet tho - waiting to evaluate another option first...

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    I have been a long time satisfied user of SplashID on Palm OS, and have about 750 records. I purchased the SplashID for WebOS thinking it would be the easiest for exporting the records. Well that was a major pain, had to upgrade to the newer version of SplashID desktop v4.15 from v3.32 (used the trial version of v4.15), export my records from v3.32, import to v4.15, export again, and then attempt to import in the SplashID WebOS.

The WebOS version couldn't successfully import all of the records at once (750), even though SplashData says they have fixed the problem. Well they haven't. I had to break the data into smaller files, and finally I got everything moved over. However, today I had to perform a reset Erase Apps and Data, so I wanted to use the supposed SplashID backup email option. I tried several times and in never produced the email file, seem it again was related to the file size.
    Once I reset my Pre, SplashID was still on the phone with the example records....tried the email backup and it worked with only the 5 records.

Needless to say if it can't backup - the means goodbye.

I hope I have better results with JVault.
    Nope, I did not have better results so far with jVault - it takes 48 secs for it to return search results in my db of about 750 records.

In SplashID results are returned almost immediately. Now if I can get the SplashID backup and restore to work properly via email, that will make the choice easier. I finally got SplashID to send me a backup email...took a while to render the email. Now I need to test the restore.

FOLLOW UP: I have found that there is a function within jVault for "Search Titles Only." This is much quicker, about only 4 seconds of actual search. However first the user has to:
    1) click on the Search icon
    2) type letters "net"
    3) click on the Search icon again
    4) wait and get results - results will be returned for partial matches e.g. if I typed "net" (looking for Netflix) it will also return: Dish Network, Precentral.net, etc

With SplashID:
    1) type letters "net"
    2) get immediate results - results will be returned for full matches on the beginning of the word e.g. if I typed "net" (looking for Netflix) it only returnd: Netflix

jVault looks much better in this light.
    Last edited by Convert; 06/16/2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Is there an ETA on true "sync" coming to jVault?
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Is there an ETA on true "sync" coming to jVault?
    I'm trying to wrap up WiFi database transfer between the Palm Pre and the Desktop version which will eliminate the use of a USB cable and make it easier to have a consistent database. Once I finish and release that update, I'll continue working on the database record syncing feature.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    I'm trying to wrap up WiFi database transfer between the Palm Pre and the Desktop version which will eliminate the use of a USB cable and make it easier to have a consistent database. Once I finish and release that update, I'll continue working on the database record syncing feature.
    Great progress!! Thanks for your commitment to your product.
    I hope you retain the USB option when you add WiFi. I'm in a place where my computer & Pre cannot be connected to the network at the same time so this would be useless to me without USB.

I bought jVault pre & desktop and have had many issues with it. When you import to the desktop, the data is there but all field names are stripped. Interestingly, once a record exitsts on the desktop, you canNOT edit the field names, only fields of new, unsaved records. You CAN edit field names on the phone though. Strange dichotomy.

As others have said, the search for jVault is ridiculous. Takes forever on phone, and on desktop only searches current group, not whole file. A search feature from Palm SplashID would be very helpful - when you start typing, it automatically starts jumping to the match.

The "syncing" for jVault is also a PITA. Limited to changing only one database then having to remember which one you changed when connecting to the computer is not fun.

I greatly regret having spent the money on jVault. I don't know if there's anything better out there, but the current version of jVault just isn't there yet. My search continues.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I hope you retain the USB option when you add WiFi.
    In addition to WiFi, the USB file transfer will still be available.

When you import to the desktop, the data is there but all field names are stripped. Interestingly, once a record exitsts on the desktop, you canNOT edit the field names, only fields of new, unsaved records. You CAN edit field names on the phone though. Strange dichotomy.
    I'm not sure what you mean. You can certainly edit the field labels and data for any card imported or created directly. Both on the desktop and Pre versions.

As others have said, the search for jVault is ridiculous. Takes forever on phone, and on desktop only searches current group, not whole file.
    jVault needs to decrypt every bit of data to do a string search, so it will take a while if you have it search every field. There's no avoiding this, as the app is at the mercy of the speed of the Javascript engine. If you only want to search the card titles, there's an option to "Search Only Titles" which is very fast (see the user guide for more details).

The "syncing" for jVault is also a PITA. Limited to changing only one database then having to remember which one you changed when connecting to the computer is not fun.
    jVault doesn't do "syncing" but rather database file transfer. It isn't the most convenient, but it does allow you to have a consistent database on both the Desktop and Pre. Of course, we would all like true record syncing and as I've mention in some previous posts I am working on it.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    You guys should try SecuStore. Only in homebrew for now but amazing! And it does auto-fill for website logins (very nice). Desktop sync is in beta but expected to be released soon.

I was able to import all my SplashID website logins although the process requires you to do it by category and requires you to play around with the Excel spreadsheet by moving around columns but this can all be done quite easily.

I'm waiting to see what the desktop sync is like and I might then switch over permanently to SecuStore. At this time, I am using both Splash ID on my Pre and my desktop (transferring files whenever something needs editing) for my personal info and all my website logins are in SecuStore. The auto-fill feature alone is worth it to switch over website logins to SecuStore even if you don't end up embracing it for everything.

Here is the url for the SecuStore thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...secustore.html
    Last edited by Quintus; 06/21/2010 at 07:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Having said that, we have been toying with writing a desktop client using Java, which should be portable coding since various machines have a Java engine. We have yet to test it, but this might be a solution for future desktop clients on the Mac and Windows. The only problem with this, is that we'll need to learn the Java language.
    cohoman

A great idea. That would also cover the field for Linux users.
    webOS is paving the way for Linux. Since most important data (PIM: Contacts, Calendar and Tasks) can now be synched via the cloud.
    Hence I am now in the process of swapping to Linux.

So don't forget about Linux users.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    cohoman

Please also consider the solution to duplicate a record. So no information is lost and the user can check it out and decide which one to keep. Or to modify one before deleting the other record.
    (Just make sure, there is a small (deletable) log to consult, which records were duplicated.)
    Sorry about asking this again. I haven't been able to find a clear answer, though. Does the old PalmOS version of SplashID work in Classic? If so, is it possible to sync to the desktop with that?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hersko View Post
    Sorry about asking this again. I haven't been able to find a clear answer, though. Does the old PalmOS version of SplashID work in Classic? If so, is it possible to sync to the desktop with that?
    Absolutely. I still use Classic for SplashMoney and sync it regularly with the desktop via WiFi...and it works of course with SplashID too although I don't use the PalmOS version on my Pre as I prefer the webOS one.
    Last edited by Quintus; 06/21/2010 at 01:51 PM.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast