Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by porkozone View Post
    I appreciate you at least being honest (many devs would just give a vague answer, or ignore the question altogether). It is very frustrating that all the devs of password/info management apps are not supporting OSX - we don't all use AT&T, or for that matter even want an iPhone.

It would be great if you would reconsider in the future, but again I appreciate your honesty.
    The issue is we don't have any experience developing Apple Mac software, so to create a Mac destkop client would require a significant investment in time and money. We would need to purchase Mac hardware, spend months learning how to write software for the Mac, etc. Since we had prior experience writing Microsoft Windows applications, it was natural for us to do so.

FYI, Windows and Mac applications are completely different animals, so you can't simply take coding for one platform and easily port it to the other.

Having said that, we have been toying with writing a desktop client using Java, which should be portable coding since various machines have a Java engine. We have yet to test it, but this might be a solution for future desktop clients on the Mac and Windows. The only problem with this, is that we'll need to learn the Java language.

In the end, I'd rather spend my time writing WebOS apps than desktop client apps, but I understand the need for such companion applications.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Never mind. Looked on website www.cohosoft.com--YES the desktop version can import csv files from other password manager. After these reviews, I am definitely leaning toward jVault on Pre AND desktop version.
    Patrice
    Virginia
    Works like nothing else!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmalena View Post
    Never mind. Looked on website www.cohosoft.com--YES the desktop version can import csv files from other password manager. After these reviews, I am definitely leaning toward jVault on Pre AND desktop version.
    Don't just lean, dive in. I'm still a happy camper, and use this app nearly every day!
    Is anyone aware of a maximum character limit in any of the data fields?

The documentation showed "the data fields in the card editor screen can contain multiple lines", but it does not indicate a character or size limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    Is anyone aware of a maximum character limit in any of the data fields?

The documentation showed "the data fields in the card editor screen can contain multiple lines", but it does not indicate a character or size limit.
    There is no limit set by the jVault application, so the only limit would be whatever limits the SQLite database has for a string field. When I checked the SQLite Home Page site, it shows a default string limit of 1 billion bytes. Palm may have reduced this number for their implementation of SQLite, however, it's still probably a very large number.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    There is no limit set by the jVault application, so the only limit would be whatever limits the SQLite database has for a string field. When I checked the SQLite Home Page site, it shows a default string limit of 1 billion bytes. Palm may have reduced this number for their implementation of SQLite, however, it's still probably a very large number.
    Thanks for the quick response!

that info plus, blowfish encryption, desktop sync and the cost have sold me. $9.98 for the desktop app and the Pre app was almost enough by itself.
    Well, that settles it. I have been a long time SplashID user and was considering going with them. I had to reinstall the desktop app trial just so I could sync and get my splashID stuff off my old Centro back onto the desktop so I could then export and then import to jvault or to the new SplashID. Well, the SplashID desktop app crashes every time I try to run it. That does it for SplashData for me. Will be getting jvault. Besides, there's no telling when or IF SplashData is going to implement a backup or cloud solution. And replies from contact with them or via twitter have not been forthcoming.

Might as well shed the old completely with the Centro and start anew with all new stuff, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by NetWhiz View Post
    Another possible password/info management app that has decided to screw over the Mac community. 1Password has passed WebOS by for the msot part. SplashID has no plans for a Mac desktop version right now. And now jVault denies the Mac too.

Still waiting for a solution to tie the Mac and WebOS together.
    Remember it is very easy to run a virtual machine (or even boot camp) running windows on the MAC so there should be no major problem for you.

There is no way for PC users to run MAC OS. ii
    Last edited by Paladin; 02/19/2010 at 10:48 PM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Ok, I have been using SplashID for years. It is one of my most used programs as I am an IT Manager. So I tried jVault because of what people said here and it seemed to be pretty actively developed. However, I could not get my SplashID data imported, even after reformating the .csv file. So I took a chance on SplashID and exported a .vid file from the desktop version and it imported perfectly. So I am really happy. The only thing is, there is not currently a way to back it up, but it's supposed to be coming. And it could be backed up in the palm profile (not sure about that.).
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    The only thing is, there is not currently a way to back it up, but it's supposed to be coming. And it could be backed up in the palm profile (not sure about that.).
    If you're talking about jVault, yes there is a way to backup your data. With jVault Desktop you can backup your data by:

(1) Write out a CSV file
    (2) Write out an encoded (and encrypted) text file
    (3) Backup (copy) your database to a different location on your PC

With jVault for the Pre, you can use the Backup/Restore method to backup your data using the email system. Your database will be encoded and encrypted and placed in the body of an email which you can send to yourself. This encoded file can then be imported into jVault Destkop if you want, or back into jVault for the Pre if necessary. So, there are several different ways of backing up your jVault database either on the Pre or on the Desktop PC.

So far as backing up to the Palm Profile, that is something that Palm must give developers access to. Currently, there is no way to backup 3rd party data to the Palm Profile (so far as I know).
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Yeah, I saw about the backup for jVault. It's a pretty nice program, but since I have been using SpalshID for so long, it was just easier to get my stuff imported there. The ability to do a backup with jVault seems to be a main advantage over SplashID, in addition to the fact that it seems to be more actively developed than SplashID. The main thing I saw with jVault is it seemed slower than SplashID while navigating through the program. However, if I were starting from scratch, I would try both for a while and decide, but I don't see a trail for SplashID in the Preware apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    ...The main thing I saw with jVault is it seemed slower than SplashID while navigating through the program...
    I have to agree that the app is a bit sluggish moving around. That is actually my only complaint about it (other than the ugly pin entry screen), but is more than usable. Speeding up the UI would make me give it 6 stars in the app catalog if I could.
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    I have to agree that the app is a bit sluggish moving around. That is actually my only complaint about it (other than the ugly pin entry screen), but is more than usable. Speeding up the UI would make me give it 6 stars in the app catalog if I could.
    I've tried my best to optimize the UI, but there's only so much I can do given the WebOS environment. Of course, a native compile code (C++) would run much faster, but we don't have that option with WebOS. We have to use the controls made available by Palm for WebOS.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    Of course, a native compile code (C++) would run much faster, but we don't have that option with WebOS.
    Yet.

I'm not necessarily complaining, mind you. Like I said, it's very usable and I still love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Yet.

I'm not necessarily complaining, mind you. Like I said, it's very usable and I still love it.
    I understand. I love programming for the WebOS, but Palm does limit what you can do as a programmer (mostly for security reasons). Let's hope the reins get loosened up a bit soon!
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Just restored a backup jvault file via email with ease. Pre has been locking up for 10 seconds and then it reboots. Sprint believes a hard reset will fix so I gave it a shot. 50 or so records that took just a few seconds to import.
    SplashID 4.2.1 for webOS was just released. It has a Backup & Restore feature.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Does JVault's desktop sync with the Pre version so that you can enter/edit/delete data on either and keep them coordinated?

Thanks,

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by woward View Post
    Does JVault's desktop sync with the Pre version so that you can enter/edit/delete data on either and keep them coordinated?

Thanks,

Bill
    Ya. You can edit on either the phone or your desktop. The sync function asks you which way you want to copy (from the Pre to desktop, or from the desktop to Pre).
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I am a long time SplashID user, but from the comments in this thread I am interested in trying JVault because it has the Desktop feature and Sync function.

Has anyone successfully transferred data from SplashID Desktop to JVault? And if so....what did you do? There are some posts about the transfer not working.

Thanks JC.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast