Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Description
    This program searches directly in your Google calendars (forward, backward or both directions) for the given search terms. Of course this program only makes sense, if one syncs his/her Palm Pre or Pixi calendar with Google Calendar.

Usage
    Just choose your search direction, put in some search terms and press enter. At the first time, you will be asked for your Google account data. This data is being saved in a Cookie, if you allow it, so that you do not have to reenter it on the next start.

Hints
    Google can only search for whole words. The calenders to search and other settings can be found in Preferences.

Privacy
    If the user allows it, the Google password will be saved unencrypted in a Cookie. A saved password can be deleted in the menu of Preferences. Encryption would not make sense without a master password. If you lose your Palm, a webOS expert could find out the saved password.

Motivation
    This program was written because of the following reasons:
    • at the moment, webOS can not search in the calendar
    • searching Google Calendar in desktop browsers does not work well with many results
    • in the Palm browser, one is always being directed to the mobile version of Google Calendar, where search is not available at all

Donations
    I am not ready to accept donations for a program, that will be obsolete as soon as Palm implements search in the calendar app. But if you like this program, please rate or even review it in the App Catalog. Also, please visit the Website, to see our other programs.

PreCentral Homepage: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...alendar-search
    Program Homepage: Google Calendar Search
    Last edited by sidamos; 04/16/2010 at 04:44 AM.
    To search the past would be more importand. For me. Will that be possible in future versions?
    Quote Originally Posted by mich4711 View Post
    To search the past would be more importand. For me. Will that be possible in future versions?
    +1 on that.

Thanks for this tool, sidamos! Hopefully we'll see more coming from this in the future.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mich4711 View Post
    This is already possible. You can search backward and forward in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    This is already possible. You can search backward and forward in time.
    And yessir it is! Sorry, I guess I should have downloaded it before I said anything. This is great, so thanks very much!

DL this people!
    Excellent, thank you!
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deafinoneear View Post
    And yessir it is! Sorry, I guess I should have downloaded it before I said anything.
    I updated the main description, so that it says forward and backward is possible.
    Thank you for writing this!

Unlike previous posters, I'm more likely to want to search future events. Could the default search direction be a user preference? Or perhaps there could be a global search choice as well (i.e. combined forward and backward)?

I had a couple searches where I accidentally search backwards when meaning to search forwards. It wasn't immediately obvious how to correct the error - changing the direction pull down didn't initiate a new search. I eventually figured out that putting the cursor in the search text field and hitting enter again did the job. Might be more intuitive if the search string box had a little magnifier icon to the right (like in the app catalog, for instance) that you could tap to start searching - this would perhaps show more clearly how to start a new search.

I was wishing that tapping on a found event would jump to the calendar, but upon reflection, realized that the calendar must not be accessible to you or you'd just be searching the on-device db directly. (duh!) I sure wish Palm would open up the calendar to other apps.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Thanks for the good suggestions.

At the moment, to restart a search, it is enough to press the enter key. You do not have to activate the search field first.

For combined search (backward AND forward), what would you prefer to see as the top/first entry? The oldest or the newest?

Regarding tapping on an event for jumping to the calendar: I'd wish that, too. And actually, there is an API for that. But because of a bug in current webOS versions, it always jumps to 01/01/1970. As soon as Palm fixes that, it could be implemented easily. But you are right, an app can only access its own calendar ENTRIES on the device, not the others. So, only the Palm calendar app can access your Palm/Google/Exchange calendar entries.
    Will this be able to search all of your google calendars in your future. I have around 10 so that way I can have different colors for categories, and would only real be able to find this useful if it could search more than my "main" calendar.

Great idea.

Thanks
    Why is it that I can't find this application?
    Quote Originally Posted by txcybermom View Post
    It's in the homebrews. Click on the home page of Precentral and find it in the apps listing of homebrews.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygodzilla View Post
    Will this be able to search all of your google calendars in your future. I have around 10 so that way I can have different colors for categories, and would only real be able to find this useful if it could search more than my "main" calendar.
    Yes, this is on the ToDo list. But it could be, that this will slow down the search pretty much, if enabled.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txcybermom View Post
    As another poster wrote, on the homebrew page here or in fileCoaster or Preware.
    For combined search (backward AND forward), what would you prefer to see as the top/first entry? The oldest or the newest?
    To me, latest date to earliest date seems most natural. But then, I've already revealed that I'm most interested in finding future events, so of course I'd like them at the top of the list where they're easy to find.

Those with a preference for backwards searches would probably argue that it's much more natural to list in increasing chronological order...so that older events are at the top of the list, where they can find them more easily.
    Global Posts
    671 Global Posts
    What a great app!!!! Thank You!

I too would like to see a forward and backward search. I would prefer to see the oldest entries first followed chronologically through the past, present and future.

I would also like to see the option to search additional Google calendars. If speed is a concern, you could always have a drop down menu to check which calendars you wish to search. The program could remember the last setting but allow you to customize a particular search on the fly.

I am really looking forward to seeing this app reach its full potential!!! One of my main gripes with WebOS is the inability to search the calendar. Such a basic function for any PDA, let alone a top of the line smartphone. Oh well, that is why you developers are sooooooo important and sooooooo well appreciated by us all.
    Global Posts
    671 Global Posts
    Another suggestion would be to allow a "tap" on the entry to bring you directly to that entry in the Calendar in order to allow editing thereof. The developer of Quick Event has this option working quite well. Once you create a new entry, you merely tap in the area indicated and the Calendar app launches to the new entry.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quick Event uses the forbidden Palm namespace. And if you create an event yourself, you have that event id and can tell the calendar app to open that id. Google Calendar Search does not have the internal event ids.

Anyway, the next version of Google Calendar Search will open the day of an event in the calendar, when you tap on it.

Also, I am working on searching all your Google calendars.
    Global Posts
    671 Global Posts
    Anyway, the next version of Google Calendar Search will open the day of an event in the calendar, when you tap on it.
    Great!!!!!

Also, I am working on searching all your Google calendars.
    Awesome!!!!

You need to get a donate button going as I am quite prepared to contribute a little something towards the development of this app, as I am sure many others will be too. You have solved a major major gripe with WebOS.
    sidamos, I'm so glad you created this app. As a heavy calendar user, the inability to search the calendar has been a huge hassle. Your app now eliminates the majority of that problem for me. Thanks!
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast