webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Google Calendar Search
Google Calendar Search
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12/03/2009, 10:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
Hi, just wondering if there's been any thought of having this work with a calendar associated with a Google Apps account? I was very excited when I saw this; calendar searching was something I did almost daily on my previous Palm devices and I couldn't believe it wasn't available on the Pre. But it doesn't appear to work with my Apps account. Any chance of that happening?
toekneelap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2009, 06:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by toekneelap View Post
Hi, just wondering if there's been any thought of having this work with a calendar associated with a Google Apps account? I was very excited when I saw this; calendar searching was something I did almost daily on my previous Palm devices and I couldn't believe it wasn't available on the Pre. But it doesn't appear to work with my Apps account. Any chance of that happening?
I just looked at the Google Apps API. It seems that you cannot query this kind of calendar for search terms (it's only 1 specific entry or all) and it only works with Google Apps Premier accounts.

So, sorry, it won't work.
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2009, 01:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
Sidamos, thank you! This is the Holy Grail of apps for me. I have long remorsed the lack of a full search on the Pre... something I even had on my old Treo/Centro. (The FindHack app was fantastic.)

First off, you must enable the "DONATION" link on the site. I am more than willing to contribute to your work on this fantastic app and I think others should as well. You have created a must-have utility app here.

As for comments... it works like a charm, is fast, and I appreciate that it also searches the entire calendar entry (not just the title).

I too would love to have it search my other calendars (particularly my work calendars). Perhaps you can have the following preferences:

1. Default search: Backward/Forward/Both
2. Default calendar: Personal/Family/Work/All (names specific to your own device obviously)
3. List returns: Oldest First/Newest First

I think that most of the time I want to be able to search Backward, with the returns coming up as newest first... then I can scroll down and go further into the past. I think most people search in the past and want to know what happened recently, as opposed to a year ago.

And also I'm putting in my request to have it open up the calendar entry when tapped, which it seems you are working on. I can't wait.

Maybe also address the security in the Homebrew listing or the ABOUT? I was a little leery of entering my Google info, but I understand it's needed. Just let us know it's going to be safe, if you can.

Once again, thank you for making this app. I look forward to future updates.

Ryan
dalifovea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2009, 05:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
New version 0.3.0 is available! See first post for details. It's not yet sorted at the top (update date is not set yet), but it can be downloaded via fileCoaster, Preware, etc.
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2009, 06:29 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Quintus's Avatar
 
Posts: 624
WOW, what an upgrade! Thank you so much!

One note for future reference, can you allow the search field to go beyond 12 months into the future and have a similar user setting for the past so that it can be limited also? I know it sounds odd but I have commitments into 2011.

I simply cannot believe how far this app has come in such a short period of time!
Quintus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2009, 06:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
In Preferences, you can already configure how many months in the future you want to search.

I guess, it makes absolutely sense to have a similar setting for the past.

Only last night, I hit the search limit during backward search of the first calendar and since the limit is global, it did not search my 2nd calendar. In this case, you get a message about that, but it's annoying anyway, because then you see NO results from the 2nd calendar. Of course, most of the time, you will not hit the search limit, if you input the "right" search terms.
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2009, 07:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 173
With the update, this is a fantastic tool. Where's the Donate button?
jc924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2009, 07:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
With the update, this is a fantastic tool. Where's the Donate button?
See first post of this thread. ;-)
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2009, 12:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
This is now a perfect app.... thank you for the update.

Quick question to anyone out there: how do we broaden the date range of calendar entries imported into the Pre (so that I can include past events from the last 1-2 years)?

Thanks!
dalifovea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2009, 12:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalifovea View Post
Quick question to anyone out there: how do we broaden the date range of calendar entries imported into the Pre (so that I can include past events from the last 1-2 years)?
There seems to be no generic problem. I used the Palm Data Transfer Assistent to transfer my calendar (>2000 entries) from my Treo to the Pre onto a Google account. Now I have entries at least back to the year 2001.
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2009, 12:53 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
There seems to be no generic problem. I used the Palm Data Transfer Assistent to transfer my calendar (>2000 entries) from my Treo to the Pre onto a Google account. Now I have entries at least back to the year 2001.
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I have all my past years in Google, but I can't seem to get them into the Pre. The Google Calendar Search is coming up with results back in 2004 but then when I tap to the calendar they are not there (only online). I need to get more dates to go into the Pre (and I'm sure it's a preference somewhere I can't find).

Thanks again.
dalifovea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2009, 03:49 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
I do not know of any prefs for that. I did not do anything special and have all events in Google and on the Pre.

Maybe you should delete and re-add your Google account in the Pre calendar.
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2009, 02:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
RC46's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
I just looked at the Google Apps API. It seems that you cannot query this kind of calendar for search terms (it's only 1 specific entry or all) and it only works with Google Apps Premier accounts.

So, sorry, it won't work.
I figured out a work around for this. All you have to do is create another google account then in your Google Apps account you allow your new Google account access to your Google Apps Calendar(s). Use your new google account to sign into the WebOS Google Calendar Search app. Now you can search your google apps calendar.

Works perfectly!

Thanks for the great app!

Will it be in the app catalog soon?
__________________
Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
RC46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2009, 04:36 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
I figured out a work around for this. All you have to do is create another google account then in your Google Apps account you allow your new Google account access to your Google Apps Calendar(s). Use your new google account to sign into the WebOS Google Calendar Search app. Now you can search your google apps calendar.

Works perfectly!

Thanks for the great app!

Will it be in the app catalog soon?
I am glad, you got it working.

I have submitted it for the App Catalog, but I don't know, when Palm will approve it.
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2009, 01:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
jp22382's Avatar
 
Posts: 355
I found the best use for this (in my case) is to tag events with a similar, searchable title. So all the events for concerts I want to go to are titled 'SHOW - <artist>'

So in the app I just search for 'SHOW' and I have a quick list of all the upcoming concerts I want to go to.

So much better than trying to browse around looking for one, or having a separate calendar dedicated just to concerts.
jp22382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2009, 07:16 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
There is a new version available at PreCentral/Preware/fileCoaster: 0.4.0.

Changelog is in first post.
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2009, 08:30 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Quintus's Avatar
 
Posts: 624
Love it! Love it! LOVE IT!!!!!!! I simply cannot believe that I've survived this long with my Pre without this app. This app is simply AWESOME!!!

BTW, the app was featured in last week's PreCentral podcast, in case you missed it.
Quintus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2009, 08:56 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
Love it! Love it! LOVE IT!!!!!!! I simply cannot believe that I've survived this long with my Pre without this app. This app is simply AWESOME!!!

BTW, the app was featured in last week's PreCentral podcast, in case you missed it.
Thanks! You mean from last tuesday, 12/8? Unfortunately, no download available, yet.
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2009, 09:00 AM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Quintus's Avatar
 
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
Thanks! You mean from last tuesday, 12/8? Unfortunately, no download available, yet.
Yes. I listened to it last Friday via Dr. Podder so the download must be available.
Quintus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 06:18 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member

 
sidamos's Avatar
 
Posts: 610
Version 0.3.0 is now available in the official App Catalog. I will submit the latest version ASAP.
sidamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0