Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    I wanted to address all of these questions, concerns, etc.
    Thanks for clearing it all up.

My suggestion, $4.99 is too high. If you're going to do a subscription, do an annual subscription at about $12-$24. Personally, I'd much rather see a one-time price, even if it meant paying for upgrades.

BTW, before people get too bent out of shape about pricing, you have to realize that writing an add-on app for a service's API is a support nightmare. Google could change something tomorrow, and this program (as well as GDial Pro) might have to have major modifications to work. A subscription or upgrade fee is justified.
    Also, just to clear up the other issue in the thread.

It DOES require Google Voice, but does not require you to use your Google Voice number for anything. You setup your Google Voice account and then setup Sprint to send voicemail to Google Voice instead of Sprint's voicemail system.
    gDial Pro - Unofficial Google Voice app for Pre
    You should follow me on twitter
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Weird about no in-app transactions, I know I've seen a couple apps that have them, with Word / Card Ace being big examples of that (though it's optional there, so maybe that's it), and Classic sort of being another.

But yeah I'd much prefer an ad-enabled version or a one-time fee to a subscription.
    Can anyone explain what additional functionalitly this app gives over what you get when you simply conditionally forward your calls to your GV number?

With GV I get an sms that says i have a message. I click on that and it goes right to the transcriptions (which are sometimes pretty funny, but it gets the point accross) along with the contact or number that called and I can click right on that link to return the call. If I don't delete the sms, the record of all my voicemails are right there and its also on my GV webpage that is one of my bookmarks in the browser

Of course, I can also call GV to hear the message and have my GV number on one of my Quick Contact slots to do that.

What does this app do more than that? Not saying, it doesnt do more or isnt worth paying for, but I have not seen anything that tells me what it does more than what GV does on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Can anyone explain what additional functionalitly this app gives over what you get when you simply conditionally forward your calls to your GV number?

With GV I get an sms that says i have a message. I click on that and it goes right to the transcriptions (which are sometimes pretty funny, but it gets the point accross) along with the contact or number that called and I can click right on that link to return the call. If I don't delete the sms, the record of all my voicemails are right there and its also on my GV webpage that is one of my bookmarks in the browser

Of course, I can also call GV to hear the message and have my GV number on one of my Quick Contact slots to do that.

What does this app do more than that? Not saying, it doesnt do more or isnt worth paying for, but I have not seen anything that tells me what it does more than what GV does on its own.
    It doesn't give any additional functionality from GV. However, Google Voice has a newer feature (well, always been possible, they just made it easier) where if you want to keep using your own phone number instead of a Google Voice number, and then if nobody picks up it'll be forwarded to GV and use Google for voicemail. This is useful for those of us who don't want to give out a brand-new number for everyone to remember (and don't need the forwarding features of GV), but still want to take advantage of the voicemail.

What this app does is give you a stripped down version of Gdial Pro, solely for listening to and viewing voicemail. Yes, you can have your voicemail emailed or texted to you, but this is a simpler way to view and hear all of your voicemail (not just the newest one) without going to the website or anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Thanks for clearing it all up.

My suggestion, $4.99 is too high. If you're going to do a subscription, do an annual subscription at about $12-$24. Personally, I'd much rather see a one-time price, even if it meant paying for upgrades.

BTW, before people get too bent out of shape about pricing, you have to realize that writing an add-on app for a service's API is a support nightmare. Google could change something tomorrow, and this program (as well as GDial Pro) might have to have major modifications to work. A subscription or upgrade fee is justified.
    I appreciate the feedback as we attempt to figure out a model for the future.
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    This solution or GDial Pro are nice... still would prefer something integrated into the Sprint voicemail system so we could have phone alerts and such as normal.

It's a step, though.
    Agree 100 percent. It's a jerry-rigged system, and the elegant WebOS deserves something better.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Is there any way to have the app download the voicemails in the background rather than stream them?
    is sprint call forwarding now free? If I want it to forward to my google voice account, does it forward after a set number of rings?
    Quote Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
    is sprint call forwarding now free? If I want it to forward to my google voice account, does it forward after a set number of rings?
    There conditional call forwarding is now free. What that means is that you can set it to forward to another number instead of Sprint Voicemail when you don't answer. The app has links to instructions on how to do it and we plan to make it easier going forward as well.
    Become a fan on Facebook
    I've been tinkering around with both Visual Voicemail (VV) out of the app catalog and the YouView Beta (YV). Here are my opinions so far:
    • I like VV's import of google voice's transcription
    • I don't like that VV doesn't have notifications. YV has them.
    • I like YV's interface better than VV.
    • YV allows me to delete voicemails. VV doesn't.
    • YV feels faster than VV. I feel like I'm waiting a lot longer on VV to get the voicemail. This is ameliorated by the transcription, but the speed is a killer.

The UI and speed issues on VV mean that I'm probably going to use YV at this point. I hope that VV improves.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I've been tinkering around with both Visual Voicemail (VV) out of the app catalog and the YouView Beta (YV). Here are my opinions so far:
    • I like VV's import of google voice's transcription
    • I don't like that VV doesn't have notifications. YV has them.
    • I like YV's interface better than VV.
    • YV allows me to delete voicemails. VV doesn't.
    • YV feels faster than VV. I feel like I'm waiting a lot longer on VV to get the voicemail. This is ameliorated by the transcription, but the speed is a killer.

The UI and speed issues on VV mean that I'm probably going to use YV at this point. I hope that VV improves.
    Doesn't YouView support transcriptions if you subscribe to the optional YouMail service? I know that costs money though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Doesn't YouView support transcriptions if you subscribe to the optional YouMail service? I know that costs money though.
    Yeah, that's correct. I didn't mean to suggest that YV didn't support it. But I'm not paying for it, so I miss it in YV.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Where is this YouView Beta app located at?
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Think TiVo. You already pay a cable subscription, then you have to pay an additional sub with TiVo... Hulu.com will be doing this as well. It is the world we live in unfortunatly....
    Tivo adds a lot of value for its subscription (e.g. two weeks of guide data and a DVR that doesn't suck). Supporting their installed base has an operating cost (they have to buy the guide data and maintain a network infrastructure).

This app appears to add very little value to a free service.
    I uninstalled teh app (gdial Pro), but my voicemails are still going to googlevoice. How do I unforward my voicemail?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Log into your Google Voice account and click 'settings' on the top right (https://www.google.com/voice#phones)

Then click the link that says "Deactivate Google voicemail on this phone" and follow the instructions.

On a separate but related topic, while looking for an answer to your question I came across this interesting page describing all of the different kinds of call forwarding options available on Sprint:

Support - Article
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    I have been using GDial Pro but since I don't use Google Voice for anything except my voicemail service, I decided to give Visual Voicemail a try.

The only thing I couldn't figure out was that some of the names didn't show up on VV even if the names matched a phone number in my Google contacts. For my brother his name doesn't show up so I deleted him in Google and re-entered him. I reset VV and still his name won't show up.

It doesn't happen with everyone so I can't find the pattern.

Has anyone run into this? What should I be doing to fix it?

Thanks,

David
    Quote Originally Posted by dmginsburg View Post
    I have been using GDial Pro but since I don't use Google Voice for anything except my voicemail service, I decided to give Visual Voicemail a try.

The only thing I couldn't figure out was that some of the names didn't show up on VV even if the names matched a phone number in my Google contacts. For my brother his name doesn't show up so I deleted him in Google and re-entered him. I reset VV and still his name won't show up.

It doesn't happen with everyone so I can't find the pattern.

Has anyone run into this? What should I be doing to fix it?

Thanks,

David
    Can you check the version of the app you are using int he help screen of Visual Voicemail... Let me know and I can help troubleshoot with you.
    Become a fan on Facebook
    I tried it first with the 0.2.1 version. I saw my names weren't showing up so I tried to delete them in GMail and refresh my VV history. When I couldn't get the names to show up I uninstalled it, since I had GDail Pro.

Then a couple of days later, the rapid release 0.2.3 version came out and I downloaded it. Tried the same thing with the names and one or two got corrected, but my brother's was still not changing. So I uninstalled that and have just been using GDail Pro.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

David
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast