Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Anyone know of a Tube app for the Palm Pre?

Have tried bumping this thread but no luck yet: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...k-tubeapp.html

I think it'd be awesome; a really USEFUL app (why are there so many useless ones!). I've seen a cool app on a colleague's iPhone, not sure what it's called but a quick search shows it could be "Tube Deluxe"...

Do we have any UK coders that can whip something up?
    I knocked up a couple of very simple apps a few weeks ago, one that is a simple tube map (quicker than using photos app), and another that shows the current status of all the lines. I need to speak to the chap who runs severedelays.org, which provides the xml feed.
    I'm totally snowed under with work at the moment but if they'd be useful to people I'd be happy to get them cleaned up and released. I have lots of ideas on how I want them to work but no time at the moment
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Sweet!

Good to hear the wheels are in motion.

If you put the ideas out there (especially in the link in the original post), perhaps some coders with time on their hands can knock something up. Unless of course, you want full control over development

I'm not sure what Tube Deluxe does (or even if that's the 'main' Tube App for iPhone) but I gotta admit it looked pretty polished, whatever it was I saw had tube times, delays, expected time of arrival for tubes and stations, it was awesome. Having just searched again, maybe it was London Tube (subway) iPhone and iPod Touch Application - who knows.

Anyway, I hate coding so I better stop making requests ...

...if something can be delivered in time for xmas that'd be an awesome treat
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Lusted View Post
    I knocked up a couple of very simple apps a few weeks ago, one that is a simple tube map (quicker than using photos app), and another that shows the current status of all the lines. I need to speak to the chap who runs severedelays.org, which provides the xml feed.
    I'm totally snowed under with work at the moment but if they'd be useful to people I'd be happy to get them cleaned up and released. I have lots of ideas on how I want them to work but no time at the moment
    Weirdly, the mirror reported that "TubeApp" would be available on launch day. It never was and I've never seen it.

See here:

Palm Pre: Top 10 apps - mirror.co.uk
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Hey Adam, any news? You're our only hope!
    The Tube app was great on PalmOS, you could do things like enter 2 stations and get it to plan your journey either as a list or by showing the route station by station on the map.

Perhaps the PalmOS app would work through Classic? Alternatively you may want to contact the guys that did the Palm OS version and see if they're working on a Pre version.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Yeah good shout, though I guess that's a last resort.

Especially considering that 'Adam Lusted' above suggested he has already developed a little something.... [hint hint Adam!!]
    While-you-wait for the proper tube app, you could add this to your bookmarks:

Travel Bits

It's patched together from little bits of TFL datafeeds. It's got line status, map and a journey planner. All formatted for the WebOS browser. Obviously it won't work without wireless/carrier coverage, like when you're underground for example.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Better than nothing, thanks for the link!

Any update on a homebrew style app?
    The problem with having a web based tube app is that it won't work when you're on a tube! That's particularly annoying when you're on a train that breaks down and you need an alternate route from some obscure station you've hardly ever heard of before.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Yep, true, I'm not sure how Tube Deluxe works for the iPhone but it looks very good. Am still keeping my fingers crossed for some sort of app. Though with most of the HomeBrew guys being the States, they simply won't have an interest to make something like this... boo...
    I remember that you can use your mobile in the tube...there are repeaters...or am I wrong?
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I've been with colleagues who have been able to use 'TubeDeluxe' on their iPhone without issues whilst underground. But maybe thats using cached or local data.

But to answer your question, no, cannot get reception whilst underground, generally you have zero bars and are greeted with missed calls/txts when you step out the station at ground level.

Out of the 8million+ Londoners, I have no idea how many own a Pre [not many perhaps] but I'm sure the prospective Palm Pre Tube App would be massively helpful for all London commuters. It'd definitely be more useful than *most* of the current HomeBrew apps...
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    I remember that you can use your mobile in the tube...there are repeaters...or am I wrong?
    A handful of the stations maybe but definately not in the tunnels.
    Just want to register my support for a tube / overground planner app
    why not go to tfl.gov.uk for up to date travel news and download a tube map to your pictures? That's what I do and it works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by //Spooke View Post
    why not go to tfl.gov.uk for up to date travel news and download a tube map to your pictures? That's what I do and it works fine.
    Totally agree, but if you have ever used Tube2 on PalmOS it's like stepping into the 21st Century from the 18th Century
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Yeah, the underground hasn't been quite the same since the 1700's...
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Just want to register my support for a tube / overground planner app
    +1 Would definitely want some sort of National Rail app too!
    Quote Originally Posted by JJL89 View Post
    +1 Would definitely want some sort of National Rail app too!
    Would be very useful - Google transit in maps is supposed to do public transport but doesnt cover hear. transportdirect.info (which includes all UK trains and buses) has an open API if anyone if interested in developing an app...

It also occurred to me that perhaps tube app will land when paid apps come to the UK. Maybe paid itself?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast