View Poll Results: Which webOS RSS reader do you prefer?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scoop

4 14.29%
  • Feeds

11 39.29%
  • NewsRoom

9 32.14%
  • Google Reader mobile site

2 7.14%
  • Something else - mention it in the thread!

2 7.14%
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    NewsRoom is sort of a different beast, since it doesn't aim for Google Reader integration - although the notifications and caching are nice, and the UI is, despite hogging memory, elegant and impressive. But I want to ask opinions on Feeds and Scoop. I have already bought both, and wanted to throw in my two cents about them.

Both have:

• Ability to star/unstar items
    • Access the original web page
    • Use folders (kind of clunky at times, but there)

They may have more in common, but this is a quick sort of post.

Here is what each one has that the other doesn't:

In short, I like Feeds for its presentation:

• the gray background cuts down on glare
    • the dark option is good for night reading
    • uniform headlines are easy on the eyes
    • deals better with text wrapping around images
    • transitional fade from one story to the next with side swipe, but also option of forward/back arrow buttons (I prefer this over Scoop's transition)
    • Notifications - lacking in options, granularity, but a good start
    • Caching for offline reading

Scoop is better from a social standpoint:

• Date and post author in the body of the item
    • Send via email, text or IM
    • Keep unread
    • Share/Unshare
    • Like/Unlike
    • slide swipe, no buttons (some may like this better)

Having said these things, let me reiterate that I have purchased both and I enjoy them both and I'm excited to see how each develops. It's really 50/50 for me right now, since I kind of prefer reading in Feeds, but like Scoop's sharing capabilities and more comprehensive Google Reader integration a bit more than Feeds'.

Thoughts?
    Feeds has starred items now.

many more options.

Scoop is very good too, but Feeds takes the cake for me
    I asked Dennis about adding sharing features to feeds and he said it was in the pipeline. I bought both and completely agree with your assessment.
    I have all three, and I can't decide which I like better. I'm hoping that someone will develop a reader with the beauty of Newsroom, the functionality of Scoop, and the offline and notifications capabilities of Feeds, and Google Reader integration. I would pay up to $20.
    Feeds rocks. It is so great to not have to set up all your feeds because it just uses your Google reader feeds. It is also great that anything you read on your Pre will be marked read when you open Google reader on any other computer. The notifications are great as well.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Having used Feeds as Homebrew, and Scoop once it hit the Catalog, I think Feeds is a more visually appealing app between the two. Pivotal Labs woo'd me with Tweed, and Scoop has a long way to go to match that level of functionality. Unfortunately, at the time Scoop came out, Feeds was still in beta and lacked a number of functions it now has in the Catalog. My final choice will be made once I see which developer provides the most attention to their app.

That being said, I own and use Newsroom as my primary reader. The UI beats them both but lack of Google Reader integration and overall sluggishness of the UI needs to be taken into account.

I also recall the Feeds app icon being oversized and blurry. Has that been fixed now that it costs money?
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Do either of these apps allow you to mark an article unread after you read it?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    Do either of these apps allow you to mark an article unread after you read it?
    scoop allows mark unread from with the item view. Feeds lackss this functionality completely.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    oh and I still want the ability to "share with note" as is possible at the google reader site
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick response!
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I would totally be satisfied with the mobile Reader site if it properly placed the next article at the top of the screen each time you tapped it like the iPhone, but it doesn't and it's VERY annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane View Post
    scoop allows mark unread from with the item view. Feeds lackss this functionality completely.
    This, and the fact that Feeds sometimes shows duplicate articles within views keeps me with Scoop. Feeds renders articles and handles images much better than Scoop. If Feeds can work out the bugs, I'd be more than willing to pay $5 for it.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Feeds is buggy. When I report bugs to developer, I'm told that it's how Google works. When I point out that Scoop doesn't have that problem, they stop responding to my messages.

So, Feeds loses on bugs and poor/clueless support.

I use NewsRoom and Scoop -- I use each for different types of feeds.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    i agree and stand by my original opinion that scoop has more robust reader functionality integration. feeds is prettier though. newsroom is good for feeds that i want alerts for...like that precentral story we're all waiting for, saying 1.4 is out....