1.    #1  
    Classic currently only supports the SndStream API while most apps use SndDoCmd or Midi to make sound. Adding SndDoCmd to Classic would be a great advantage. Some apps would just work out of the box and
    for other apps adding this function would be simple.
    SndDoCmd will not give real cool sounds but it's better then no sound at all.
  2. pb
    I only bought Pre because Datebk could run on it. I aalso rely heavily on DataViz Word/Excel. I now pay hugely more for contract and have to keep Treo going coz it works.
    no alarms, v slow to open and other hassles do not appear to be teething problems but insurmountable barriers.
    I would welcome any workarounds to help me through 'till this thing rreally works.
    thanks.
    pb
  3.    #3  
    I can think of a workaround: MotionApps provides a simple "sound app" producing sound as soon as it launches. The user app (clock, databook etc.) just switches to this sound app when an alarm triggers.
    Quote Originally Posted by _jaap_ View Post
    I can think of a workaround: MotionApps provides a simple "sound app" producing sound as soon as it launches. The user app (clock, databook etc.) just switches to this sound app when an alarm triggers.
    (clapping hands)
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    (clapping hands)
    I hope that's not sarcasm, as Jaap is a respected software producer, who's PalmOS apps are used by many Palm owners.

It's encouraging that he is trying to get his apps to work within Classic, justifying all our investment in Classic
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I hope that's not sarcasm, as Jaap is a respected software producer, who's PalmOS apps are used by many Palm owners.

It's encouraging that he is trying to get his apps to work within Classic, justifying all our investment in Classic
    not a sarcasm but a truly honest first reaction once we saw this post.

We are not a sarcastic bunch, and if there is a case where we'd be sarcastic, you would know we're sarcastic without a second thought.

We honestly appreciate Jaap's suggestion and approach to this. And agree that it is encouraging.
    Follow us on Twitter

Sorry, perhaps I over reacted, good to see you are still 'listening' and trying to work out the problems.
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Sorry, perhaps I over reacted, good to see you are still 'listening' and trying to work out the problems.
    have a good holiday!
    Follow us on Twitter

Although I'm generally happy with Classic, I am hugely disappointed with the sound issue. One of my favorite apps on my Treo is Clock+ by Bitware Australia. Unfortunately, whatever Clock+ does to make sounds is not supported by Classic.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    in addition to sounds, could we also get an alarm to vibrate?

btw, i wasn't sure if there was a more logical place to pose this question..
    I'm now using Classic V2.1.2, but still under webOS 1.3.1 (GSM user)

However, the big news is that Beeps now work in the alarms for BellTime

The above was on BellTime 1.4. I'm now using the latest version released today, 1.5, and the new feature of keyboard 'letter' launching works fine on the Pre. The other new features are good too.

Still not able to use the MIDI sounds yet, but beeps make the BellTime alarms usable now

PS Still no vibrate yet
    Thought of the day :
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    have a good holiday!
    I have found that SndStream API support isn't that stable in my application. While the sound is being played, if I exit the application, Classic will crash. Is it a known issue?

May I know the code snippets to make Classic make the alarm sound? I do think SndDoCmd should be supported.
    We did not experience similar behavior nor we have such reports from other users.

If you are a Palm OS developer, you can find details about the sound support in Classic in Classic Certification Kit and you can always contact our devs if you have any further questions regarding adjusting your app.
    Follow us on Twitter

I'm not a developer, but I suspect one of my favorite apps, Clock+ must use SndDoCmd, 'cause it is completey mute on Classic. Very frustrating. Extremely disappointing, hope it can be fixed in the next release.

It was the first thing I reported with MotionApps back in June 2009, and I'm sorry to say, my experience with MotionApps support was not a good one. They would send me e-mails with inane questions like, "is the sound turned on on your device?" Seriously. Well, thankfully, my subsequent experiences with MotionApps have been better.

Anyway, the developer of Clock+, Bitware Australia, is long gone, his web URL taken over by squatters. So I have no hope of having it changed to work under Classic. The only hope I have of restoring full functionality for Clock+ is to have Classic fixed to fully emulate sound.

I still use Clock+ for the visual reminders under Classic, and I still use Clock+ on my Treo 755P.

If I ever lose my regular day job, I will have enough time to code my dream app, CrastinatePro to replace Clock+.
  15.    #15  
    SndDoCmd works well since Classics V2.1.2. I use this function in BellTime for what I call "Beeps". See also the last post of ChasT above.
    You can download BellTime here steilberg.eu - Alarm clocks for PDA and mobile phones Don't forget to set Sound=Beeps for every alarm you use.
    Quote Originally Posted by _jaap_ View Post
    SndDoCmd works well since Classics V2.1.2. I use this function in BellTime for what I call "Beeps". See also the last post of ChasT above.
    You can download BellTime here [url= - Alarm clocks for PDA and mobile phones[/url] Don't forget to set Sound=Beeps for every alarm you use.
    Well, then that must not be the problem with Clock+, 'cause it is mute.

But I will check-out BellTime!
  17. JKM
    I use a software that had been written using the PalmOS 2.0 API and plays simple beep sounds using
    the function SndPlaySystemSound
    (the only sound function available in the early PalmOS?).

Unfortunately SndPlaySystemSound does not work on Classic
    (MotionApps wrote me it is "not fully supported" but I think it does not work at all).
    I do not understand why such a simple API function (that can only produce a handful of beep sounds)
    is not implemented in Classic?