1.    #1  
    Is anyone else disappointed about the article on Precentral re: SplashID's decision to sync to cloud alone?

I worked IP security services for some pretty big companies. I don't think the security policy would ever remotely trust an arrangement like the one SplashID's proposing on some of the data I've got stored in there. It's not just passwords. It's social security numbers...financial trust accounts...lock box codes & locations...not just my own...my family's my friends most sensitive info. The amount of crap you've got hanging out in the wind...I mean come on; they've gotta be kidding. You just don't do that. I know the math with regards to blowfish encryption (and triple-DES AES). But if someone determined ever gets your encrypted data...they've got all the time in the world to work on it. It's just a matter of time. You've gotta be kidding.

I've always been a paying customer of SplashID. On every handset I've ever owned, it's been one of the few apps I've paid for. They could offer their cloud service for free... They could offer to PAY ME to use it; it's still a no-go for me.

You've gotta be kidding. You've gotta be kidding. You've gotta be kidding.
    A deal breaker for me as well. Either sync with my PC or stay standalone.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    One of the very good reason why "cloud" exclusivity is garbage, right here!

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...acts-lost.html
    The phone is open enough that I'm sure there will be easy ways to sync locally. I guess you just need somebody with those skills to have that need in order for it to get done. An easy solution that comes to mind is a job on the phone that simply dumps, say, a csv to /media/internal, and then a program on your computer that then deals with that file. Simple and effective, and IMHO a lot more elegant than having to have a specific sync protocol.

The capability to easily implement this is there, someone who has the same need will likely come up with something eventually. That's the nature of this phone and open source in general. We aren't tied to the OS vendor for everything, but we also have to have somebody interested enough to create things.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    The phone is open enough that I'm sure there will be easy ways to sync locally. I guess you just need somebody with those skills to have that need in order for it to get done. An easy solution that comes to mind is a job on the phone that simply dumps, say, a csv to /media/internal, and then a program on your computer that then deals with that file. Simple and effective, and IMHO a lot more elegant than having to have a specific sync protocol.

The capability to easily implement this is there, someone who has the same need will likely come up with something eventually. That's the nature of this phone and open source in general. We aren't tied to the OS vendor for everything, but we also have to have somebody interested enough to create things.
    Absolutely! I will be watching for such a feature from our homebrew people. It is just sad that the one and only thing that is tied to the vendor, where I put my trust in the "big corp".. they screw up. I mean.. all that's needed is redundancy and back-up!

Sorry for the rant. I'm just really frustrated. Years of contacts, surviving through 10-15 phones, family, friends co-workers, some numbers are irreplaceable, etc... gone!
    If they do NOT include an export feature, I will be forced to use another App. But if you can export (from online & the device), and manage your data online as well, then this is ideal to me. I do long for a desktop app, though.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Excellent point.

However, be aware that if you're putting this information on your Pre in the first place, it's likely not secure. If you sync to a computer, consider how secure that computer really is.

Also, much of the information you describe is already out there, somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    If they do NOT include an export feature, I will be forced to use another App. But if you can export (from online & the device), and manage your data online as well, then this is ideal to me. I do long for a desktop app, though.
    The splashID live cloud app can already sync with Splash ID desktop. I think I might just use it as a go between for backups. IE sync Pre to Cloud, Sync Cloud to Desktop. Delete all Cloud data. Then repeat that every month or so for up to date backups. Sure I could still be hacked this way but at least I would take away the luxury of time element. The hacker would have to be really quick.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    you all are right.
    splashid without syncing (only) to desktop is a no go.
    i think they all - and now splashdata also - are infected (not by swine-flu but) by goog-flu.
    stay away before getting sick!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Excellent point.

However, be aware that if you're putting this information on your Pre in the first place, it's likely not secure. If you sync to a computer, consider how secure that computer really is.

Also, much of the information you describe is already out there, somewhere.
    I work in IP security. I am excruciatingly aware of how to protect my information. I manage IP security products, and sell to IT admins based on how my products can enable their mobile workforce without compromising their sensitive data. I do consider how secure that PC is. I also consider how secure the hosting site is, what information is exposed, what threats they are exposed to, and what measure are made to ensure the proper authentication & access is given. The difference between the security of synching to my well-secured PC vs. synching to the cloud is night and day.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
    I work in IP security. I am excruciatingly aware of how to protect my information. I manage IP security products, and sell to IT admins based on how my products can enable their mobile workforce without compromising their sensitive data. I do consider how secure that PC is. I also consider how secure the hosting site is, what information is exposed, what threats they are exposed to, and what measure are made to ensure the proper authentication & access is given. The difference between the security of synching to my well-secured PC vs. synching to the cloud is night and day.
    No argument.

I'm just saying that mobile devices have a way of getting lost. At that point, whatever is on the device is available.

It's a bad idea to keep anything on a mobile device that would be an "end of the world" if someone got it. Ditto for anything on your home computer. Never know when someone will steal your PC.

As a security pro, I'm sure you don't put anything "secret" on any device that's not in a well locked location.
    There is a way to backup SplashID locally. This is due (with minor modification) to tcurtin on the Splash forum website

Make sure SplashID isn't running
    Set up Pre for root access
    cd /var/palm/data/*splash*
    mv <filename> /media/internal
    ln -s /media/internal/<filename>

The minor modification is to move the file in the Splash folder to /media/internal. Tcurtin simply copied it which means the symbolic link will fail. The filename for me was something that started with a lot of zeros. I have successfully modified the database via SplashID. It is immediately available via USB to copy to your PC.

For root access, I turned on developer mode, connected with usb cable under charging mode, and used the novaterm command (under linux). I think novaterm is installed with WebOSQuickinstall.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    No argument.

I'm just saying that mobile devices have a way of getting lost. At that point, whatever is on the device is available.

It's a bad idea to keep anything on a mobile device that would be an "end of the world" if someone got it. Ditto for anything on your home computer. Never know when someone will steal your PC.

As a security pro, I'm sure you don't put anything "secret" on any device that's not in a well locked location.
    These days, disparate workforces do require a degree of mobility, so the hardline policies about where you stor sensitive data does flex. which is why device management apps like nokiaa intellisync exist, allowing it admins to perform things like remote-kill, remote lock, or even remotely push security policies onto handsets. ...But at no point would it be kosher to sync to someone elsees server.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwy62 View Post
    There is a way to backup SplashID locally.
    The way I do it does not require rooting and its simple

All you do is install the app "Internalz" from Preware
    Navigate to
    /var/palm/data/
    find the folder called "file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.splashdata.app.splashid_0"
    Copy that folder and select
    /media/internal
    for your destination.
    It will then copy your SplashID database to your USB drive. All you do is connect your Pre to your PC and copy that folder. You then have a backup which can easily be restored by reversing the steps.

I have used this method successfully to restore application data after a WebOS Doctor session.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwy62 View Post
    There is a way to backup SplashID locally. This is due (with minor modification) to tcurtin on the Splash forum website

Make sure SplashID isn't running
    Set up Pre for root access
    cd /var/palm/data/*splash*
    mv <filename> /media/internal
    ln -s /media/internal/<filename>

The minor modification is to move the file in the Splash folder to /media/internal. Tcurtin simply copied it which means the symbolic link will fail. The filename for me was something that started with a lot of zeros. I have successfully modified the database via SplashID. It is immediately available via USB to copy to your PC.

For root access, I turned on developer mode, connected with usb cable under charging mode, and used the novaterm command (under linux). I think novaterm is installed with WebOSQuickinstall.
    It would be easier to just use SCP to copy the file. Or once you know the file name, use Webos QI to copy the file from the device.

Or better yet, use MVAPP to move the app to the /media/internal storage location Then it would always be available to copy off the usb drive. Only SLIGHTLY less secure than the on device storage.

Is the Data encrypted INSIDE the DB?
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Wow, that is nuts. I also would never sync my SplashID data to the cloud!! I hope they change their minds and offer a wired-USB-only sync to a PC.

If you lose your Pre, you can remote wipe it. Though I hope Palm comes out with a complete backup solution for the PC that can restore your Pre/a new Pre to exactly the same as your last backup, apps and high scores and files and all.
    I am successfully using Classic and Wi-Fi Hotsync to sync my PalmOS SplashID and SplashMoney databases to my desktop Splash apps.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    Wow, that is nuts. I also would never sync my SplashID data to the cloud!! I hope they change their minds and offer a wired-USB-only sync to a PC.

If you lose your Pre, you can remote wipe it. Though I hope Palm comes out with a complete backup solution for the PC that can restore your Pre/a new Pre to exactly the same as your last backup, apps and high scores and files and all.
    I absolutely guarantee you Palm is running a service-provider Intellisync type solution in their NOC to provide that kind of "wipe device" functionality. I wouldn't be surprised if they bought the solution straight from nokia.