View Poll Results: Have you migrated your apps & data from Palm to Classic ?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have not tried to migrate from Palm to Classic

6 33.33%
  • I have tried to migrate, but failed

4 22.22%
  • I have successfully migrated !!!!

8 44.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Greetings,

I want to migrate all my apps and data from my Palm Tungsten T5 to Motion Apps Classic running on my Palm Pre and then never have to go back.

I am a long-time Palm user since my Palm IIIxe and have relied on the Desktop synching to keep important client data intact on 3 different computers, but I hate carrying 2 devices and want to do it all on the Palm Pre that's why I skipped the iPhone and the Droids to get a Palm and now I'm having more trouble than I expected.

Has anyone else succeeded in doing anything like this?

How did you do it?

Regards,
    David
    It's pretty much like migrating from one Palm device to another. Except for hotsync, instead of plugging in a cable, you set up a wireless connection (either bluetooth or Wi-Fi).

Wi-Fi is better because it is much faster (at least that's what I have found).

There's lots of help in other threads as well as Classic's web site to help you with hotsync.
  3.    #3  
    Oh, I "know" how to do it, and I have tried it several times, but what I want to know is, has anyone "successfully" done it.

Many years ago, I successfully migrated from a Palm IIIxe to a Palm Tungsten T5 without any problems.

Now, I want to migrate from that Palm Tungsten T5 to Motion Apps Classic on my Palm Pre — that's basically the whole reason I chose Palm Pre over iPhone or Android or Blackberry — but I am hitting roadblock after roadblock.

Has anyone done it successfully?

That may be too much to ask until the next release fixes a bunch of problems.
    Palm IIIxe → Palm Tungsten T5 → Palm Pre
    I used my Treo 755p for e-mail (personal and work), SMS, phone (of course!), notes, calendar, bible reading, many spreadsheets, reminders, web surfing, outline/checklist.

I'm now doing all of that on my Pre. I've successfully migrated all of my data to the Pre. For some of those functions, I'm using Classic because there is no parallel functionality available under WebOS.

Yes, Virginia, there is life after Palm OS.
    With all due respect, the question you pose is unanswerable. Classic supports some Palm apps, but not all. What do you have on your Palm? If all the apps are Classic-certified, I would guess that you would be able to migrate successfully. If none of them are, you wouldn't, no matter what. (I would add that this isnt' simply a Classic issue -- when I upgraded from past Palm devices to newer ones running a later version of PalmOS, I had the same problem. When I moved from my Zire 71 to my T|X, for example, I had to leave a number of apps by the wayside.)

With this latest move, it was a matter of installing one app after another, testing them out, and then deleting those apps that didn't work (or, worse yet, caused a system crash). At the end of the day, I had a number of my favored apps and their data (Pocket Quicken, DateBk6, Bonsai, Docs2Go, DayNotez, Project@Hand) move over successfully, while others (WordSmith, thinkDB, the original Bejeweled, Parens) wouldn't work under Classic. So, should my answer be "successfully migrated!!!!!" or "tried to migrate, but failed"...? Since my main reason for going with Classic was to be able to run PQ, I'm satisfied...but was it really a "success?" The question really makes no sense in the context of the overall issue, and I would suspect that my answer might not apply to your situation, and vice-versa.
    Last edited by regnaD kciN; 11/24/2009 at 07:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post

Yes, Virginia, there is life after Palm OS.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
  7.    #7  
    I don't understand — only 7 people responded and only 4 people even tried to migrate from Palm. Does that mean most people have purchased Classic in order to run new Palm applications instead of waiting for native Palm Pre applications?
    I bought Classic and tried migrating old info from my Tungsten T5 (much which had been migrated from an earlier Pilot) with some minor degree of luck. I also bought Mobile Write from Motion Apps which proved pretty much a waste. It really hasn't been a very successful project. Beyond the lack of ability to transfer much of the data, I've found Classic just crashes far too often to be of much use to me. Has been frustrating. I've pretty much given up. Good luck.
    I migrated from a Palm T/X to the Pre with Classic with a fair degree of success. The most important features of the Palm that I wanted to retain were the Calendar and the Contacts. These ported over quite nicely in Classic. Also I was able to get Hotsync to work very well via Bluetooth and WiFi between Classic and the Palm Desktop. I love being able to backup my data outside of the "cloud". With the apps I was not so "successful". The Northglide backup products do work in Classic. However, most of the games I had don't--not a big deal now that I play more the native WebOS games anyway. However, I was disappointed with ePocrates (a medical application) experiencing glitches in Classic. Fortunately, a WebOS version is due to be released "soon". Classic became rather unstable with WebOS update 1.3.1 which was an annoyance. However, so far so good with the 1.3.5 update -- hasn't crashed yet. So the experience has not been perfect, but the Pre has worked out o.k. so far for me. Good luck.
    I migrated all my Palm OS apps to Classic and they all work. Most of them are not even Classic certified but they work. In addition, I had TealOS software installation file on my computer and transferred to Classic and it works like a charm. Basically, TealOS allows me to run Classic in the same way as the WebOS cards work. You flick through the cards to run them and swipe them away to close them. It is like WebOS in Classic.
  11.    #11  
    I wonder if a lot of my problems are due to using Palm Desktop 4.1.4 this is the last version that Palm supports for Palm Tungsten T5 I cannot get the later version of Desktop 6.x from Palm. Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by dcIIIxe View Post
    I wonder if a lot of my problems are due to using Palm Desktop 4.1.4 this is the last version that Palm supports for Palm Tungsten T5 I cannot get the later version of Desktop 6.x from Palm. Any thoughts?
    I've never experienced "backward compatibility failure" with any of the Palm Desktop versions. As you can tell from my sig, I am a long time Palm user and went convergence with Treo to reduce the number of gadgets loading my pockets (cell, palm pda, work pager, thumb drive, digicam, I'm not Batman for crying out loud!) Treo had me 3 devices less.

When I learned of the Pre, I was very excited for an iPhone level device on Sprint but saddened when I heard WebOS and PalmOS wouldn't be compatible. Then I learned of Classic and was excited again, followed by the $30 price tag and was saddened. While I had many apps, Docs2Go was the only one I would consider "worth" transferring to Classic. I never did as the Data Migration Tool got everything over to the Pre and I opted for Google Sync which worked out perfectly allowing me to finally separate my work Exchange data with my personal.

I've never looked back although I am eagerly awaiting D2G on WebOS so I can once again start leaving my heavy *** laptop behind again. I know this doesn't really help but that's what I got.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    cell, palm pda, work pager, thumb drive, digicam, I'm not Batman for crying out loud!

You're not Batman....oh no. We tend to think of our users as of super heroes, especially each time after Palm releases an update.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Originally posted by cobrakon
    . . .I've never looked back although I am eagerly awaiting D2G on WebOS so I can once again start leaving my heavy *** laptop behind again. I know this doesn't really help but that's what I got.
    In the meantime, I would suggest that you use Evernote. Post the document into Evernote over the internet. After that, you can edit and update from your phone or from the internet on your desktop. Both documents will always have the changes until you resave as a word document.
  15.    #15  
    In the meantime, I would suggest that you use Evernote. Post the document into Evernote over the internet. After that, you can edit and update from your phone or from the internet on your desktop. Both documents will always have the changes until you resave as a word document.
    Sigh, it may come to that, but I have 649 memos, which are almost all important to me, and that's a lot of manual effort!
  16. pb
    hope this helps to answer:- none of your 3 Qs quite fit my situation so I could tick none.
    I am having to run both the Pre and my Treo now :-(

A) I had hoped to move from Treo to Pre with Classic as I depend on Datebk6 (I think it fantastic and wish it could be rewritten for new OS). It synced fine first time via wifi but I found I had a LOT of extra stuff copied over to clutter the Pre and I am trying to work out where this data is stored in Classic because when I deleted Classic the data all came back again when I reinstalled it.

B) I also miss the navigation button and find the Pre much harder to move around without stylus and that button. (I need a left arrow key)

C) I rely heavily on Dataviz Word2Go and 'Excel'2Go, neither of which run, though they are aiming at a release for Pre soon.

Consequently, I am running 2 phones at the moment and Classic/Pre crashes regularly but with no pattern.

Paul - hopeful but not particularly happy
  17.    #17  
    Greetings Paul,

As far as the data being still present after deleting and reinstalling Classic. I had the same problem. The solution is to do a Options --> Hard Reset and then click OK to the dialog box outlining all kinds of dire consequences to your PalmOS data. It took me several tries to have the courage to click OK on this until I remembered that PalmOS is only within Classic.

Regards,
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by dcIIIxe View Post
    Sigh, it may come to that, but I have 649 memos, which are almost all important to me, and that's a lot of manual effort!
    I have many more than that. Classic works fine for memos, but if you're using Outlook or Exchange, I highly recommend Chapura's PocketMirror and its standalone, syncing native webOS memos app. Check the site homepage for my review. {Jonathan}
  19.    #19  
    Greetings Jonathan,

I appreciate the pointer. However, I am hoping to duplicate the PalmOS Notes & Palm Desktop experience. I want to carry my notes with me in my phone (not on the cloud) so that I can do these 3 things:
    • Access my notes on my Palm Pre even when I don't have internet (e.g., on a plane)
    • Access my notes on my work PC for easy cut-and-paste
    • Access my notes on my home PC for working at home

I haven't ever found anything that is as flexible in this regard as my Tungsten T5 coupled with Palm Desktop, but I'm getting tired of carrying too many gadgets. I'm not Mr. Gadget or Batman

Regards,
    David
  20. pb
    OK willl bite the bullet and do that, then reinstall and see what happens.
    thanks

says Paul, wanting to run Datebk6 and therefore associated Memos and contacts.

Sadly, when DataViz produces docs2go for webOS I will no longer have the seemless single sync of Treo to PC, but a Classic Hotsync to PC and then some additional Dataviz sync which we have no idea about yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast