Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Seeing as we are waiting around for the next update, thought I would go a little off topic and ask MotionApps whether there is any ETA for using BT services via Classic or whether this is merely a pipe dream? I would love to be able to use TomTom Navigator in Classic with my BT GPS unit. This would certainly help when in an area where there is no access to data. (Even better, how about being able to access the built-in GPS!)

As an aside, I certainly have to commend MotionApps for the work they've done with Classic. As others have stated, Classic is a solid app even when using non-certified Palm OS applications. My personal favourites are SplashMoney and SplashShopper. The existing problem will sort itself out in time. WebOS is still a very new OS. All you have to do is think how far we have come since June. It is really quite amazing. Hiccups will happen. This one is particularly frustrating because it takes away the Palm OS which means tons of applications are affected. Before you know it, this will be history and we will go on enjoying our Palm OS apps in Classic. Time heals all wounds.....

Thanks!

As for your question: Classic uses Bluetooth for establishing the connection between the app (Classic) and PC. We are using Pre’s BT connection to do this. The Bluetooth in Classic is not supported in terms that apps using BT technology will be able to use it from within Classic – this kind of support is not likely to be included.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Time heals all wounds.....
    Let's hope so. Before the last update no one knew it would make most everyone's Classic crash. How do we know the next one will be any different?

I think all should realize the pressure is not any less for those who can't use their $40 app and knowing a supposed solution sits waiting for Palm to deploy almost makes it worse.

So, while many seem inclined to let Motion off the hook right now I'd like to know who didn't do what before the last update...
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    Let's hope so. Before the last update no one knew it would make most everyone's Classic crash. How do we know the next one will be any different?

I think all should realize the pressure is not any less for those who can't use their $40 app and knowing a supposed solution sits waiting for Palm to deploy almost makes it worse.

So, while many seem inclined to let Motion off the hook right now I'd like to know who didn't do what before the last update...
    I'm not sure Motion did anything. They had an app which worked quite well under WebOS, then Palm released a new version of WebOS and Classic wouldn't run anymore. I know Classic released a new version just around that time, too, but I never upgraded to it, and the 2.0 version I've been using all this time (which ran perfectly under WebOS 1.2.whatever) also crashes with 1.3.1.

This really looks like a WebOS issue, plain and simple...one that just happened to affect Classic the most, maybe because it's the most complex WebOS app.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    Thanks!

As for your question: Classic uses Bluetooth for establishing the connection between the app (Classic) and PC. We are using Pre’s BT connection to do this. The Bluetooth in Classic is not supported in terms that apps using BT technology will be able to use it from within Classic – this kind of support is not likely to be included.
    Thanks for the quick response albeit not the answer I was hoping for.
    Activated Classic for the first time last night only to discover that it froze my Pre. The only way to fix it was to remove the battery.

When I finally got it running again, I tried to HotSync the new Clinical Pharmacology program 2.28, which was the only app I need to run in Classic and thus the only reason I bought the $30 app in the first place. And low and behold it won't sync. So the reason I bought Classic in the first place won't run the only app I need it to, even though it ran fine on my trial app!

And of course, when I contact support, they send me to this forum. A lot of good that does me!

Come on MotionApps, either fix it or refund my money. I just paid yesterday, maybe I'll refuse the charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by situveux1 View Post
    Come on MotionApps, either fix it or refund my money. I just paid yesterday, maybe I'll refuse the charges.
    They have fixed it.

Try this for a solution to your frustration:
    http://forums.precentral.net/officia...ml#post2085064
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Activated Classic for the first time last night only to discover that it froze my Pre. The only way to fix it was to remove the battery.
    ...which could have done more damage to your Palm. Don't you know the key combination for doing a proper soft reset? (It's orange key-sym-R.) By the way, since you obviously know this forum, you should have known about how WebOS broke Classic long ago. Why activate an app you know is already broken.

When I finally got it running again, I tried to HotSync the new Clinical Pharmacology program 2.28, which was the only app I need to run in Classic and thus the only reason I bought the $30 app in the first place.
    Why is it that so many here only want classic to run some pharmacy program or another? It would seem to imply a very narrow market for Classic.

And low and behold...
    That's "lo and behold." It always amuses me to read irate comments by someone who doesn't seem to bother getting their English right. It reminds me of the famous photo of the protester with the sign "Get a brain, morans!"

...it won't sync. So the reason I bought Classic in the first place won't run the only app I need it to, even though it ran fine on my trial app!
    As far as I know, there's no difference between "the trial app" and the activated one. The problem with WebOS 1.3.1, as manifested in Classic, tends to be intermittent failures. (I can get it to run perfectly most of the time, but then it will crash on startup or HotSync one time or another.) BTW, if you only need one app, it seems you could load it via USB rather than HotSync.

Come on MotionApps, either fix it or refund my money.
    Yes, MotionApps -- storm Palm HQ, and force them at gunpoint to release an update to WebOS right now! Don't you get it? It isn't MotionApps' fault, it's Palm's fault.

I just paid yesterday, maybe I'll refuse the charges.
    Then you'd be a thief.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post
    ...which could have done more damage to your Palm. Don't you know the key combination for doing a proper soft reset? (It's orange key-sym-R.) By the way, since you obviously know this forum, you should have known about how WebOS broke Classic long ago. Why activate an app you know is already broken.

Why is it that so many here only want classic to run some pharmacy program or another? It would seem to imply a very narrow market for Classic.

That's "lo and behold." It always amuses me to read irate comments by someone who doesn't seem to bother getting their English right. It reminds me of the famous photo of the protester with the sign "Get a brain, morans!"

As far as I know, there's no difference between "the trial app" and the activated one. The problem with WebOS 1.3.1, as manifested in Classic, tends to be intermittent failures. (I can get it to run perfectly most of the time, but then it will crash on startup or HotSync one time or another.) BTW, if you only need one app, it seems you could load it via USB rather than HotSync.

Yes, MotionApps -- storm Palm HQ, and force them at gunpoint to release an update to WebOS right now! Don't you get it? It isn't MotionApps' fault, it's Palm's fault.

Then you'd be a thief.

RegnaD..... ura muppet.....
    Last edited by Taigerr; 12/12/2009 at 05:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    RegnaD kciN... Forums are places where anyone should feel safe enough to ask questions (regardless of how ridiculous YOU feel those questions maybe), without being made to feel inadequate or incompetent. If you cannot respond respectfully pls b quiet.....
    Last edited by Taigerr; 12/17/2009 at 11:59 AM.
    I applaud your positive response and understanding. I am sitting here and wouldn't you know, the program I am running in Classic (Agendus) just gave me an alarm about something I need to do. So, there is hope that the system will work.

For the rest of us, I do feel your frustration and concern, but as Quintus eluded to, this to shall pass.

I fear that the one important thing we are forgetting is that Palm (the developer of WebOS) is a company driven by stockholders to produce profit and gain. It is my opinion (yes, I know about opinions) that the drive to be competitive in the market place has created a wonderful opportunity for us to move forward into an arena where all of us can benefit.

The desire for all of us to control technology in the palm of our hands. 30 years ago we would have all said, who do they think they are? You can't do that. Nobody should have that much power. We would have been ranked with those that said of the Wright brothers; if we were meant to fly, God would have given us wings.

Well guess what, the scoffers were wrong than, and unfortunately, they just might be wrong now. Palm is more than likely to go ahead with the agenda to provide growth and stability for its shareholders and we are going to benefit from updated technology.

We have all suggested, recommended, and/or demanded to be heard. And we are being heard, from both sides. I believe the issues will be resolved in due time and we should move on with that in mind.

If you were responsible for bringing on the next update with all the hype, media, and customer attention, would you want to rush it into existance or do your best to solve the outstanding issues?

Ask yourselves this, when Classic is working again, how can I get the most from it? We all had favorite apps and I must say that while I am experiencing some minor difficulty, overall, Classic is doing more for me faster than when I was running with my Treo 755p (which by the way bonked every once in a while too).

My disclaimer is this, I am an engineer and I have some understanding on how a project can come to fruition with some bugs in it. I also understand that Palm, Motion Apps, and we the people are all past the point of no return in this project.

We all want resolution. Palm does not want the stocks to go down and Motion Apps still wants to move their product. So, I choose to believe the problems will all be addressed and situations will be handled.

So, please, take control of what you can and let Palm/Motion Apps handle the rest. If you are an experienced developer, than maybe you can help solve the issues.

In the meantime, please try some of the suggestions outlined earlier in this thread, who knows, they might just work for you. I know, there are a few I am willing to try.

Classic is an emulation of a former Operating System working inside another Operating System. I wonder if any of us regular folks understand what that means exactly. It is very complicated to say the least. I applaud Motion Apps for their resourcefulness and technical ability to make this work in the WebOS arena.

Keep up the good work. We need you.
    Arupp you are drinking a lot of the Koolaid!
    Classic, as I try to use it on a daily basis, is a flop! Yes I was one of the early ones to pay for it. Hoped it would be kept alive and working.
    All I ever get is a freeze. In my busy day as an MD on rounds, I want to fling my pre across the room because of classic.
    Worst money I ever spent in my life.
    Hope epocrates brings to life their native web OS support.
    These guys will be out of Biz in a heartbeat. This **** froze up on me three times today and the nurses were laughing at the Pre. Go figure.
    Publicity like this will do a lot of good for the Pre and web OS. Palm ought to fire them.
    Aviator,

Epocrates for Webos looks like it would be good for you. Specific for what you do. I like your choice there.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    For some reason, after working (more or less) well for the last month or so, my Ultrasoft Money is no longer able to synch with my Pre. Worse than that, the Microsoft Money file that it was supposed to synch with has become corrupted and I had to restore from a backup and lost a few day's worth of data.

What's going on, here? I know there's a blame game going on: I couldn't care less. Make it work. I paid for it, make it work.

Products with this degree of failure are the stuff class action lawsuits are made of.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfang001 View Post

What's going on, here? I know there's a blame game going on: I couldn't care less. Make it work. I paid for it, make it work.

Products with this degree of failure are the stuff class action lawsuits are made of.
    What part of "they have fixed it, but are having to wait for Palm to release it" don't you understand.
    Thought of the day :
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i'm tired of hearing this monotone "palm must repair it, waiting for palm to repair" etc.
    they don't hear you and all the others.
    palm is trash
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    What part of "they have fixed it, but are having to wait for Palm to release it" don't you understand.
    I do not understand how they did it in the first place and I do not understand how a company whose products I have loved for so long can treat customers over this, let alone the general way they are SO hard to actually reach for anything.

I do not understand why Motion Apps is not giving us a daily quote from someone at Palm on the exact status of whatever update there is. Presumably THEY can reach humans at Palm.

I called Sprint last Friday to ask about an update just for the heck of it since my daughter has had 1/3/5 for a week or two now on her Pixi. I was put on hold three times RegSprint,Level2Sprint and then, lo and behold, to a Palm Human. Actually the Palm Human was a guy reading a screen in a foreign country that made me think of the movie about India and millionaires I saw last week. While professing to understand my question he was obviously reading a screen. (fantastic film btw)

It eventually took about 40 minutes to have him say they might never use 1.3.5 for The Pre and that they have no firm plan at all for updating the Pre and he knew nothing at all about the problem with classic.

I do not understand,in light of all that, why Palm can't do a one-time update with this fix and nothing else if it is done and proven to work for an app this important.

That's what I don't understand!!
    Last edited by hdhuntr; 12/15/2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: movie comment
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    What part of "I don't care" don't you understand?

I'm past caring if I'm being "fair" to MotionApps or to Palm or to anyone on this board. I've crashed my Pre three times this morning to the point where I have had to reset it. I've crashed Classic at least 5 times beyond that this morning. This is all in the last 3 hours. You know what I'm doing to cause Classic to crash? I'm not even bothering trying to Hotsync my phone now: I'm just trying to change books in Mobipocket! Trying to change books in a Classic Certified application, and the thing crashes on me. On Safe Mode, no less!!! I haven't even tried to run Classic on "Normal" mode for the last several weeks!

I've tried to remove Classic and then reinstall it. Brilliant! It crashed when I restarted Classic.

I don't care who is to blame. I bought a phone and I bought an application for that phone based on being able to run these applications, and now the damn thing crashes when I look at it funny. When I try to do what you're supposed to be able to do with the application.

Isn't Sprint offering an "out" on their contracts right now? This continues for much longer, the Pre is going in the trash can and I'm just going to eat this contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfang001 View Post
    What part of "I don't care" don't you understand?
    If you don't care, why come here beating your chest and threatening lawsuits?

If you want to do some good, get on the phone to Palm.

It's broken, so why keep using it and make your Pre crash?

Make it work. I paid for it, make it work.
    Have you called Palm about it, as they are the only ones who can fix it now.
    Last edited by ChasT; 12/15/2009 at 03:14 PM.
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by Taigerr View Post
    VegnaD kciN... Forums are places where anyone should feel safe enough to ask questions (regardless of how ridiculous YOU feel those questions maybe), without being made to feel inadequate or incompetent. If you cannot respond respectfully pls b quiet.....
    The poster wasn't "asking questions" -- he was throwing a tantrum on how it was MotionApps' responsibility to fix a crash problem a) they didn't create, b) they have no ability to fix (they can't swipe the WebOS source code and release their own version of 1.3.2, can they?), and c) they have done all they could to provide Palm the information they need to fix it.

And then, he claimed that, if MotionApps didn't submit to his demand to fix what they couldn't fix, he would have his bank stop payment for the product he'd already received. In short, he would steal it from MotionApps.

Someone who acts like that here deserves every bit of calling-out I gave them. Don't like it? Tough. I stand by everything I wrote.
    By the way, here's a suggestion for all you demanding that MotionApps fix something they can't physically or legally do: use WebOSDoctor to downgrade your Pres to 1.2.1. You'll lose a bunch of OS enhancements, but Classic will run as it should. If you don't like that solution, maybe you should be demanding Palm fix the problem they, not MotionApps, caused.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast