Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I've had problems with freezes and device crashes since I installed Classic back in August. Interestingly, the last update seemed to help -- until the latest WebOS update, when the problems resumed.

More recently, I tried installing the free software from Classic. Half of it didn't work at all, and the other half was pretty useless -- but of course when I deleted the apps, they still left all kinds of files on my device. So I did a hard reset, and I've had a lot fewer problems with Classic since then.

I wouldn't even be too peeved about the occasional crash, except that I use Classic to run DateBk6 (I know, I know, it's un-hip ... but the WebOS calendar app just doesn't do it for me) -- and when it crashes, it loses all the data that I've entered since launching Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by prolok View Post
    Hey, thanks for the pep talk. After the latest update my skyscape medical references disappeared. should I try and reload them now, or wait for this issue to be resolved?
    well, all my settings, Memo, PalmOS apps within Classic disappeared (including my Skyscape ref). Will this be restored with an update or do I need to reinstall it again? Thank you
    Classic is unusable on two of our Pre's running 1.3.1 - I get an error stating "illegal operation" and the whole phone crashes. Installed software on both Pre's includes epocrates and Dynamed.

Please fix ASAP!!
    tried closing all apps, turning on airplane mode, and run classic (without restarting pre). that seemed to help 2 out of 3 times
    Today I updated my WebOS 1.1.3 to 1.3.1 (O2 Germany) and all my data in PalmOS/Classic are lost! At the very first start after the update, Classic froze my Pre. After removing battery and restarting Classic, I got some "Illegal errors". As starting Classic worked accidentally, all my apps and data disappeard from PalmOS/Classic. It seems, that there was a hard reset inside Classic!

I have Classic 2.0.0 installed - I cannot update to 2.0.1 because Classic does not appear in AppCatalog anymore (Germany). Is there a work around to make updates available outside the US? Does 2.0.1 work more stable? Is there a chance to get my lost data back?
    Another lock-up crash mid-HotSync. It seems that, in this case, whether you close the "illegal operation" screen or just throw away the card without closing it, it still freezes/reboots the Pre.
  7.    #47  
    What we’ve been doing is that we tried workarounds and positive reports you describe. It’s a partial success, and there is no confirmed workaround.

The good news is that we are able to research the issue through your reports in order to fix Classic, because workarounds are not going to be a good solution, especially since the same workaround does not work for all. You need a 100% stabile app.

The new issue occurring for our users from Germany is Classic disappearance from the App Catalog, but it looks like Classic is not the only app experiencing this, so we hope this gets fixed soon.

Thanks for all of your reports. We are aware that this is unacceptable behavior and are working on it.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Hi, same issues as all others here after installing 1.3.1 for Europe today.
    I also had phone reboots and Palm-OS "hard reset" (all data and programs are gone to nirvana), a lot of crashes - and no idea what's the reason. Sometime it crashes immediatley, sometimes after throwing(swiping) away classic....

Classic isn't usable in this state!!!

Please fix - asap.
    Klaus
    P.S. I'm runing the lastest version of classic (2.0.1)
    Last edited by zonki; 11/23/2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added classic version
    Um, well, never mind what I said earlier about a hard reset helping. 3 crashes today, after 2 of which data were lost. I can't seem to identify any sort of pattern as to when the crashes occur. Oh well, thanks to MotionApps for continuing to work on this ...
    Weird. Well, for now I'm happy. Until yesterday I was very frustrated with Classic, but didn't realize it was common among users until reading this forum on Saturday (11/21). I was plagued with the illegal operation error. For example, NVBackup got this 3 out of 4 times. Also, frequently I got it upon startup.

In my experience, it definitely seems related to what else is installed on the Pre. It seems to behave like a type of problem that we call “a storage violation” in the MVS Mainframe world. (Any mainframers out there? But I digress…). So in the “storage violation” scenario, you have a “perpetrator” and a “victim.” The perpetrator wipes out some storage, but ends normally, “unaware” of the damage it left behind (to the extent a piece of application code can be “aware”). Some time later, the victim comes along, attempting to use the storage it trustingly left behind, only to find it corrupt, and it crashes due to unexpected results. This is a very complex problem to resolve, because the perpetrator is long gone before a problem becomes apparent.

Anyway, yesterday, I stumbled on the pattern that Classic seemed more stable if I started it first after a reset (no airplane mode). I was in the habit of starting Agenda (Homebrew App) whenever the Pre started, and I usually followed that with Classic. I decided to start Classic before starting Agenda, and Classic seemed much more stable. Then I deleted Agenda.

At the same time, I was having trouble with fileCoaster (another Homebrew App). I deleted fileCoaster and installed an updated version using WebOS Quick Install. After that, fileCoaster worked fine.

Since all that, I haven't gotten a single Illegal Operation crash, I keep Classic open all the time, and it has been about 36 hours since the last crash. I even got brave and re-installed Agenda, still no problem.

So, could it be some kind of memory leak?

By the way, I have found since 1.3.1, I'm seeing the “Classic Certification” message for every application the first time I start it after a crash, even the ones that I know are certified. Is anyone else getting that?
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    By the way, I have found since 1.3.1, I'm seeing the “Classic Certification” message for every application the first time I start it after a crash, even the ones that I know are certified. Is anyone else getting that?
    Yeah -- it's annoying; especially since I see it once a crash (i.e. kinda frequent).

Regards,
    Tom
    Slowly I have been reinstalling my Classic Apps which were all wiped after WebOS 1.3.1 update. Initially on trying to install everything at once, it kept crashing (and sometimes resets the Pre) but by selectively installing one by one (mine are mostly SkyScape medical programmes), it seems to be fine now. It seems if I disturb the installation (eg by turning it back on after usual 1 min switch off, either by sliding open, ON button or pressing the gesture button when slid opened), installation crashes. I just need to wait a lot longer (hence why safer install 1 at a time).

Also, am still getting Certified and Not Certified messages (latter especially with SkyScape which works fine and should be Certified!)
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Here's an odd one. I had Classic open all day, going into it every once in a while to make sure it was still alive. I just sat down to play Blackjack Deluxe, which performed an illegal operation and froze my Pre. Had to pull the battery as usual. (Wasn't Blackjack Deluxe in the Classic download package?)
    Hello RJKinsman,
    yeah - another hostie with a Pre :-)
    You are talking about an S0C4 on mainframe... great, I also think here we have a similar problem. But on Mainframe to solve such an error we don't need as long as motionapps :-( Sometime it must be solved or to work around within a few hours!

And yes, after 1.3.1 I also get those annoying messages about 'no classic certification' instead the message 'there is an update available'(which rises once during start) under 1.1.3 (in Europe).
    I think there is a single function inside classic that destroys the memory itself. I tried with a hard reseted classic and the problems also appears from time to time.
    But meanwhile I don't try it longer - its the job of motionapps.

If they don't come out with a stable release soon, they'll lose a lot of customer!

Regards Klaus
  15.    #55  
    Guys…we have a fix. We’re implementing it within the next Classic release, and this should bring back the “good Classic” to all of you.

We’re not sure of the release date yet (tied to Palm’s schedule), but as soon as we have information on this, we will let you know.

Thank you so much for your patience.

For our German users: we’re not proficient in German, and Google translator does not seem to do a very good job, so feel free to tell this in German forums if you come across the “Classic 1.3.1 issue”

Although this was a thread dedicated to issues, thanks to all of you reporting that Classic worked OK, or kind of OK.

The MA team.

P.S. Kudos to RJKinsman for the approach to the issue
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    RJKinsman --

Interesting theory, but I've had a number of times where I've started Classic first after turning it on (which, I would assume, would be equivalent to a reset), and gotten the "illegal operation" screen. So, at least in my case, it wouldn't seem to be an interaction with a rogue third-party WebOS app.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with a clean Classic install and nothing else (i.e. no Audible, Pocket Quicken, eReader, or even the free apps Classic delivers -- just a stock PalmOS install)? Similarly, has anyone installed this on a stock Pre with no additional apps added, and had the same problems? I'm trying to see if there might be anything running in the background, either within Classic or outside it, that might be causing this problem. When I first started having these crashes, I uninstalled a couple of services (don't remember which) I'd added via PreWare, and they seemed to improve matters a bit, but didn't eliminate the crashes entirely.
    Wow -- no sooner do I put up my diagnosis, but I get good news. Congratulations, guys, and let's all lean on Palm to expedite getting this solution to market. (After all, if a fix was available and only delayed by Palm dragging their heels, and one of us lost a piece of data vital to his business because of it, Palm might be considered negligent for not getting the already-available fix out to users. Hear that, Palm?)
    Great MotionApps! Perhaps you could find a way for bringing the new version to Germany. In Appcatalog they currently have only 51 Apps, and no classic :-(

In the past, german users have to wait very long time for any update - they all need classic!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    Guys…we have a fix. We’re implementing it within the next Classic release, and this should bring back the “good Classic” to all of you.
    Any progress on the Epocrates issues with this release?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    This is GREAT news! I'm looking forward to it. I am so sorry we have to wait on the Palm update. Since we just had one, I would think that we are stuck for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post

We’re not sure of the release date yet (tied to Palm’s schedule), but as soon as we have information on this, we will let you know.

Thank you so much for your patience.

For our German users: we’re not proficient in German, and Google translator does not seem to do a very good job, so feel free to tell this in German forums if you come across the “Classic 1.3.1 issue”

Although this was a thread dedicated to issues, thanks to all of you reporting that Classic worked OK, or kind of OK.

The MA team.

P.S. Kudos to RJKinsman for the approach to the issue
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast