Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    The other shoe drops. Classic v2.1.2 is now available in the App Catalog.
    OK. My Pre and Audible are playing so well together, I don't know if I want to try it. What are the changes?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I downloaded it and I have had to reboot my Pre twice now. I would say wait and see what some others say. I have not seen any improvement.

EDIT: Since the reboot it still took a while to start the program but once started it is pretty fast. Still playing with it. Before the reboot I was still getting the "Not Classified" screen, but after I am not seeing it anymore. BIG PLUS.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    What about those of us in Canada who still don't have 1.3.5 available? Should we hold off on downloading this update? I'm certainly going to hold off unless I hear otherwise from MA.

Edit: Classic is no longer available in the app catalogue for non-US users. This whole US vs. non-US thing in the app catalogue is getting old but I guess this answers my question. Classic has been pulled until we get the 1.3.5 update.
    Last edited by Quintus; 12/31/2009 at 05:34 AM.
    I cannot get Classic to install. It keeps failing. I had it running before updating to 1.3.5
    Quote Originally Posted by tserna View Post
    I cannot get Classic to install. It keeps failing. I had it running before updating to 1.3.5
    Delete your current version. Reboot your phone, then re-install or download.

If that doesn't work, try WebOSrepair utility when Jason gets the new version out.

When all else fails, you can always use the WebOSdoctor.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Classic is no longer available in the app catalogue for non-US users.
    i just (12:00 mez) installed classic 2.1.2 on my 1.3.1 german pre and found two "classic"-icons - so it is a seperated installation!?
    I deleted the old one (orange+tap showed 2.0.0) and started the new one without any problems (no reset before starting!)
    all my data and all my apps are gone - nevermind, they were away after i updated classic before.
    i didn't play with it longer now, will try to load old apps such as dictionaries and so. I don't want classic for pim or music, just for my expensive reference books.
    I hope it will work after i couldn't use it for over a month!
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    This is weird. The app catalog now shows Classic Emulator instead of Classic and my Pre doesn't recognize that Classic is already on the device. So how do I upgrade my purchased version of Classic to Classic Emulator without losing all my apps and data within Classic? I'll check the MA website for support. Odd that MA was so active here but didn't bother to post an explanation for the changed name and provide instructions on what to do.
    anyone else notice the new option in classic to backup?

it really does work!
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    after my last crash with classic ("invalid operation") i've lost my keyboard in all (!) pre-apps. I cannot reset with organge+sym+r, i cannot write mails, urls, notes ...
    i resetted more than once, no go.
    has anybody had a similar issue?
    any tips?
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    after my last crash with classic ("invalid operation") i've lost my keyboard in all (!) pre-apps. I cannot reset with organge+sym+r, i cannot write mails, urls, notes ...
    i resetted more than once, no go.
    has anybody had a similar issue?
    any tips?
    I've had problems with specific keys, but not entire keyboard and it's never been related to Classic. Pull your battery, wait few minutes and then turn everything on. In all honesty, I just pull the battery and place it back in immediately, but I've never had the problem with the full keyboard.
    I'll check the MA website for support. Odd that MA was so active here but didn't bother to post an explanation for the changed name and provide instructions on what to do.
    But they've managed to "thank" the "fan boys" in the meantime — something is very wrong here!
    Palm IIIxe → Palm Tungsten T5 → Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by dcIIIxe View Post
    But they've managed to "thank" the "fan boys" in the meantime — something is very wrong here!
    You'll have to be more specific. What's wrong and what's a fan boy. Are you stating that if anyone says what went right, they're a fan boy and the only thing that can be posted is what went wrong? Personally, I want to hear from the people that have something going right so I can find out what they're doing as well as hear from the people that have something going wrong so that I can avoid making the same mistake. That is the purpose of a forum.

Contrary to popular belief, calling people names and criticizing people because they aren't doing things they way you want things done, does not change behavior. In fact, it could have the opposite affect if the person genuinely felt that they were doing a good thing. In other words they simply stop doing anything.

There are plenty of Developers or app providers who simply lurk in the forum or don't participate. Let's be nice to the ones who actually contribute.
    MotionApps,

Thank you for the improvements you've made. I understand things are not perfect, and believe you do, too. Nonetheless, things are moving in the right direction. Gonna go play with audible now.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Quote Originally Posted by justjill3 View Post
    MotionApps,

Thank you for the improvements you've made. I understand things are not perfect, and believe you do, too. Nonetheless, things are moving in the right direction. Gonna go play with audible now.
    Okay, justjill are you playing with update 1.3.5 and Classic v2.1.2? If you don't already have audible installed. Use the small one w/o all the samples. It installed w/o a hitch.
    Yes! I am gleefully playing with 1.3.5 and v2.1.2. I do have Audible installed. I use it mostly for my subscription to a radio show. I haven't figured out how to download my episodes directly to the Pre. I transfer from my PC.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    What's wrong and what's a fan boy. Are you stating that if anyone says what went right, they're a fan boy and the only thing that can be posted is what went wrong?
    A "fan boy" is someone who claims to have used Classic in all its incarnations in all versions of WebOS and never had a single problem with it.

Makes me wonder what they did with it. For a long time I could fire up Classic all by itself on my Pre — without any applications and without any hotsyncing — it would work all day long doing nothing — what good is that?

But, I have tried repeatedly to follow all of the instructions to migrate my applications and data from my Palm Tungsten T5 to my Palm Pre running Motion Apps Classic without success. I have turned in several problem reports and have not yet received a helpful response. This is similar to reports from many other people on this forum.

How can there be two such diverse experiences — and in light of recently reported ratings "cheating" at the iPhone App store: Apple Removes 1000+ iPhone Apps from App Store Following Ratings Scam — it makes you wonder. I'm just sayin'

I have said before that the only reason I bought the Palm Pre was because of Motion Apps Classic and I was one of the first to purchase this application before it was in the store, so when it works correctly, I will be one of the first singing it's praises as loudly and as often as I can, but in the meantime…

Contrary to popular belief, calling people names and criticizing people because they aren't doing things they way you want things done, does not change behavior. In fact, it could have the opposite affect if the person genuinely felt that they were doing a good thing. In other words they simply stop doing anything.
    I find it amusing that I have a legitimate complaint. But you feel that criticizing me is okay even though you tell me not to criticize. It seems to me there's a word for that…
    Last edited by dcIIIxe; 01/02/2010 at 10:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcIIIxe View Post
    A "fan boy" is someone who claims to have used Classic in all its incarnations in all versions of WebOS and never had a single problem with it.

. . . I have turned in several problem reports and have not yet received a helpful response. This is similar to reports from many other people on this forum.

How can there be two such diverse experiences . . . it makes you wonder. I'm just sayin'

I have said before that the only reason I bought the Palm Pre was because of Motion Apps Classic and I was one of the first to purchase …
    Okay, I see your frustration, but still don't get the name calling. I haven't seen anyone who everything works right for. Perhaps people who post their successes, but not only successes. If all I wanted was my previous apps, I wouldn't have bought the Pre, I would have stayed with my Treo.

However, I will say that, if I had simply used the apps that I bought Classic for, I would have had no trouble. Is it possible that the people who aren't having trouble don't expand their use of Classic? For instance, I was one of the people that stated what I needed from Classic for it be a good purchase for me. I needed "MyBible, Documents to Go, Splash ID, Diet & Exercise Assistant. All of those work fine, but I use the Pre version of Splash ID.

After purchasing the app, I tried audible, PDA Cookbook, MobiPocket, E-Reader, and numerous other apps. One of which was an audio recorder by Motion Apps. The audio recorder doesn't work and Audible hasn't worked that good until now, but everything that I initially said I wanted and more is working.

The ability to sync has me carrying around a second list of contacts for no reason and if I would have stayed with my initial requirements and waited for the other things to be a native Pre app, I wouldn't have any complaints about Classic.

I think they meet the bar and then we raise our requirements or standards. I say this because everything that was a must for me, I added during the one week trial. Everything else is icing.
    There are only 3 applications that I want on my Palm Pre so I can stop carrying my Tungsten T5 with me everywhere: Memo (for thousands of application cheatsheets I use daily on the job), Secret! (The best way to store secret password and account information ever in the universe), and OliveTree BibleReader and a bunch of different translations (the best portable Bible reader and study tool I have ever used). By the way, Memo and Secret! both sync to the desktop so I don't have to fire up my Palm Tungsten T5 to get the information if I'm near my home desktop or my work laptop. The Palm Pre doesn't have anything like this, so I'm guessing that I want Classic for a really long time.

I don't need any new PalmOS applications, because I can wait for everything else to be native Palm Pre, but these applications need to run in Motion Apps Classic so that I can stop carrying 2 gadgets around all the time.

But, I need it to work. I have deleted the old version, rebooted my Palm Pre, and installed the new version, rebooted my Palm Pre, and all I get is the "Illegal Operation" screen of death. I have tried 3 different times and have turned in a trouble ticket, but I have not received any response from Motion Apps yet.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    dcIIIxe,

For memos, you should try Classic Notes from homebrew. No sync option but the conversion from PalmOS was flawless for me and the app is very user-friendly.