Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please tell me that I'm not the only person who is wondering where in tarnation eReader.com's native eReader Pro application is for WebOS. After reading an announcement back in September that it was forthcoming, I've heard no additional news. Yes, I did contact them directly on two occasions, but each time I received a canned response stating that they couldn't comment on software under development, but that I could use the Classic emulator in the meantime.

Well, I don't feel like paying $30 for Classic when all I want is to be able to read my DRM eBook library. Honestly, once I get this app on my Pre, I'm set. Contacts, calendar, email, internet, music, photos, ebooks, solitaire and PreJeweled are all I need, and I'm a happy camper.

I'm this close to perfection... C'mon ereader.com, get the lead out!

Regards,
    Adam
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
    Though I'm also waiting for an ereader app, I've already purchased Classic and am trying to get my bookshelf to download. No luck yet. Guess I'm missinng something.

Yeah---hope the app shows up soon!
  3.    #3  
    Looks like it's just you and me, w8aq. Perhaps this explains why it's taking so long; they're working on the Android-compatible app first.

Regards,
    Adam
    Yeah, I'm also a little surprised it's taking so long. I've always thought Fictionwise was a pretty cool company, but not impressed with their lack of response here. I've read one book under Classic, which wasn't too bad, but native WebOS would be *so* much better.

I've been making do in the mean time with Shortcovers, which was really nice until it broke with 1.3.1.
    Also waiting, but have been using Classic with some success. There are 2 readers being developed; one of them says that it might do the DRM for eReader.
    Laissez Faire
  6.    #6  
    Yup, eReader for Android was just released. And when I say "just released", I mean just released -- the email notification popped up on my Pre like five minutes ago. There's irony here...

I hate it when I'm right.

Regards,
    Adam
    I almost didn't move to the Pre b/c eReader was not available. I've tried Preader and Palm Reader with limted success (although I have to give the programmers a ton of credit for what they have accomplished). Still, I have over 80 ebooks in my bookshelf and I am baffled that a native app is not been made available for WebOS.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre-Occupied View Post
    I am baffled that a native app is not been made available for WebOS.
    Tell me about it.

I realize that Palm has a lot of ground to make up here, but given that the original PalmOS is pretty much the reason that we have eReader to begin with, you could be forgiven for thinking that they'd toss WebOS a bone here.

So, who wants to place bets on how long it'll take before we see a native app for WebOS?

Regards,
    Adam
    Here is a message I just sent to Fictionwise:

I am a very good customer. However, until you port the eReader for the Palm Pre I will try not to buy any more books. Classic is a poor substitute. I may buy an iphone and use Kindle. You ported the software for the Droid, and there is no reason why you could not port it for the Pre.
    Laissez Faire
    I too am very disappointed that eReader was released for the Android before WebOS. Please Fictionwise - give us a good native eReader app!
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I'll add my voice to the group. I am dying for a native ereader app for WebOS. Classic is a mediocre temporary solution.

Android has been around for a lot longer than WebOS so I wouldn't draw any conclusions. You would expect the Android version to come out first in any event.
    i'm waiting for the ereader app too. Until then I have to carry the Treo too.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Android has been around for a lot longer than WebOS so I wouldn't draw any conclusions. You would expect the Android version to come out first in any event.
    You make an excellent point, and one that overlooked in my ire over our missing app. Even so, I'm dying here without access to my books. Yes, I still have my Treo, but its power connector is dodgy, and charging it is getting to be a chore. In fact, I'm at a point now where I haven't been able to charge it for the past couple of days -- 3/4 of the way through The Lost Symbol, no less!

Arrrgghh!

Regards,
    Adam
    I also will not upgrade to a Pre from my Treo 680 until ereader is available for WebOS and also Splash ID with desk sync.

These apps are just too important to not have available.
    Another one for the list. I have hundreds of books in my fictionwise account...
    There is a homebrew app called "Palm Reader" - how does eReader differ from this?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    There is a homebrew app called "Palm Reader" - how does eReader differ from this?
    The big difference (problem IMHO) in ebooks and ereaders is different formats and DRM (aka copy protection). There are many different formats (which can be handled by a good program) and most ebooks are encrypted with a key/device (which the publishers and sellers generally won't share for obvious reasons). So, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $two$ $available$ $readers$ $can$'$t$ $read$ $copy$-$protected$ $ebooks$, $and$ $the$ $company$ $which$ $supplies$ $eReader$ ($Fictionwise$, $now$ $owned$ $by$ $Barnes$ $and$ $Noble$) $has$ $a$ $good$ $selection$ $at$ $a$ $reasonable$ $price$.

Beyond that, each one may have slightly different features which people prefer (fonts, colors, auto-scroll, bookmarking, dictionary, etc). eReader, at least on PalmOS, was a pretty good one IMO.
  18.    #18  
    Yup, davis.rob is right, the readers currently available do not support DRM'd books. Like becs, I was going to hold off getting the Pre until eReader was available, but my contract with Verizon finally ended, and since I have four phones on my plan (me, wife, mother, father-in-law), I switched so I could start saving money sooner rather than later. I don't regret "upgrading", but it's maddening to not be able to read my books on the subway or in bed.

Regards,
    Adam
    classic has problems but it does work with eReader. I have read several books using it.
    While I don't personally endorse this as it is illegal, it is possible to remove the copy protection on most ebooks so that you can view your library in one of the generic readers. I imagine once the protection is removed you can use calibre to convert to whatever format you need.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast