Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I couldn't find a thread on this, so here it is. I'm willing to pay for a SHOUTcast app from the app catalog, particularly for the local station integration and "now playing" features. Does anyone have an opinion on which is the better buy? Has anyone bought both and played around with them? Reviews in the app catalog itself don't really indicate that one is significantly better than the other, which, for now, leaves me making the decision based solely on aesthetics and price. Thoughts?
    I have Net2stream lite and would go with them just because they are confident enough in their software to offer a free version.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jnh0603 View Post
    I have Net2stream lite and would go with them just because they are confident enough in their software to offer a free version.
    yeah, i'm rocking net2streams lite, too. it gets the job done, no doubt. and your confidence point is well taken. i'm leaning that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane View Post
    yeah, i'm rocking net2streams lite, too. it gets the job done, no doubt. and your confidence point is well taken. i'm leaning that way.
    It just depends what you want. RH had a lite version as well so I have no idea what JNH was referring to. I prefer RH because they give you ALL the genres listed and I have no need for local intergration. Terrestrial radio stinks, but that's my opinion...

Both are good apps but I just liked RH better going back even to the old homebrew days...
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    thanks for the enlightenment, vanadium. There's nothing quite like a response from the developer himself to tip the scales for an uncertain user...
    There's also Broadcast Radio in homebrew for free.

I haven't gotten arround to downloading Radio Hibiki, but from the sounds of the reviews... it's the best. I'd really like to know how it compares to Broadcast Radio, really.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Here are the key differences between the 3 Shoutcast apps I've used (Net2Streams, Radio Habiki, Broadcast)...

NOTE: I haven't purchased Net2streams Pro so my knowledge of this app is based off of the Homebrew version, Catalog description and user reviews.

Net2Streams Pro ($2.99):
    + local radio station listings
    + no ads
    - doesn't play current song playing
    - most expensive out of the 3
    - no notification playback control
    - cannot browse stations while listening

Radio Habiki ($1.89):
    + displays current song playing
    + cheaper price
    - no notification playback control
    - cannot browse stations while listening
    - no local stations

BroadCAST Radio (free in Homebrew):
    + displays current song listing
    + cheapest price
    + can browse stations while listening
    + notification playback control and current song listing
    - ad supported
    - no local stations or Icecast (not a big deal for me)

So bottom line is if you really want local stations, go with Net2streams. Personally, I've preferred Radio Habiki and Broadcast. Feature-wise, Broadcast is the winner in my books with their notification support and for the ability to "multi-task" in the app while playing music. However, it seems like it is much more of a resource hog than the other two. I frequently get the "must close cards" error when running this app. The ads don't bother me, but I wish their "now playing" screen focused more on relevant information (track title, stream info, useful links, etc) and not a huge freakin tower animation.

Having said that, I recently bought Radio Habiki because of Broadcast's resource issues and because the developer deserves it. I've logged a lot of hours with his app in Homebrew and really appreciate the dedication he's put into it. I really hope he implements some of Broadcast's features in future releases though .
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    good breakdown. i think i'm going with radio hibiki since !) better price 2) the dev found this thread and responded and 3) the only local stations i need are the news station and the sports station. @vanadium said he plans to allow users to add their own streams in future releases, so that should take care of that problem for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    Having said that, I recently bought Radio Habiki because of Broadcast's resource issues and because the developer deserves it. I've logged a lot of hours with his app in Homebrew and really appreciate the dedication he's put into it. I really hope he implements some of Broadcast's features in future releases though .
    I will prolly do the same. Broadcast is nice because it keeps playing music while you're browsing your favorites or the other lists of generes... but you're right that it does have a mem leak. I left it on while the screen was blank, came back about an hour later or so... and I couldn't really do anything. Had to restart.

Sounds like if Radio Habiki had that feature to not stop music until I actually hit play for another station... I'd definitely grab it without thinking. And a favorites list would definitely be swell, too.

Heck, even implementing streamripper into one of these apps would be pretty slick, too. Wonder if webOS can actually handle that at this time...
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Unfortunately, no developer with a license from SHOUTcast can add 'streamripper' even if it were possible because it's one of the most serious violations of the API TOS in the entire agreement. (No recording allowed from any app that also processes SHOUTcast streams.) Regardless, webOS can't handle it at this time anyhow.
    Word. I figured it prolly wouldn't be possible. But thanks for the heads up with the licensing issue! Makes sense to me.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    vanadium,

For reasons I don't understand, I can't seem to find an app that will currently allow streaming from WBEZ, the Chicago NPR affiliate. I could swear it was working on ShoutCast before the 1.3.1 update.

Can RH stream that station? I'd appreciate any help/insight you can offer.

Thanks.
    I bought RH over the weekend and so far I am very happy with it.
    I'm using the Lite version of Radio Hibiki and I'm loving it... but I cannot see "Now Playing" for artist/track on all internet streams... is this feature in the full version?

Will updates to the full application cost anything after buying it?
    Awesome vanadium! I just bought the app.

Just a question: There are some stations I listen to that say "Not Available" for Now Playing, when I can see now playing on my PC with the same stream, is this an API/SDK limitation?
    Woo! The stations I listen to (di.fm) now have currently playing info! Thanks vanadium