Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Given the relatively small number of apps available, is anyone else sort of afraid to buy the first of a type of application in the Palm App catalog for fear that a much better/useful app will be released shortly? With or without trial version.

Yes, a few dollars for an app is fair price, but no trials is nearly unacceptable if you expect me to buy it. I don't like wasting money. Brick and mortar store software can be returned if you don't like it/don't agree with EULAS even if you open it, you just have to be a little persistent and intelligent. That option is virtually non-existent in the mobile phone application market.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    personally, i've never seen a store that LETS you return open software -at least that I've KNOWN of...

i will say that trials should be a near-STANDARD...
  3.    #3  
    Many EULAS say to return it to the place of purchase if you don't agree with the EULA.
    Moral gray area: Try the software, if you don't like it say you don't agree with the EULA.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I also agree that trials should be standard. I've not bought a single app from the app store yet. There have been a number of interesting ones but often I have to rely entirely on screen shots plus reviews. I am happy to see that more and more developers are putting up trial versions of their paid apps in the homebrew listings. I just don't think that that should be the only way to get a trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    Many EULAS say to return it to the place of purchase if you don't agree with the EULA.
    Moral gray area: Try the software, if you don't like it say you don't agree with the EULA.
    Doesn't sound like moral gray area to me...just deceit.
    I can't even buy apps! Since they don't accept international addresses, and I live in Puerto Rico! They should @ least include the U.S territories.....

sorry for the bad spelling somewhere....
    If the App is around a buck I don't really mind gambling with it after I've seen screen shots, and read the reviews. So far so good. I've only bough a few Apps so far.

I love to get stuff for free, however I feel that a developer should be able to make some $$$.

Trials would be nice, and it must be possible as Classic had it I believe. My understanding is that you could just delete and reinstall an App when the trial was over. So trails would be ineffective at limiting the user to just continuing this process and never buying the App. Maybe they can fix this.

Lite versions are few, but I am very happy to see them. Give me a chance to see what your App can do for me before I buy it.

Simple Apps should be free, like many of the games, but just my opinion.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Doesn't sound like moral gray area to me...just deceit.
    Fair enough. I didn't want to launch into a tirade of how difficult it can be to truly evaluate moderately costly, consumer software. Sometimes I feel "deceived" by the "feature" set or highly conceited descriptions on the packaging. Online reviews are usually love it or hate it. So for me, it's a gray area, as I'm not left with too many options. I haven't done it yet, but I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep if I did.
    jhoff80 did some videos of some apps in this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...pp-videos.html

Not exactly complete coverage of all apps, but maybe an app you thought about taking the plunge on is there.
    Apprehensive about spending 99 cents? Ha...nope. There is likely more money than that in the folds of my sofa.
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Not exactly complete coverage of all apps, but maybe an app you thought about taking the plunge on is there.
    Yeah, unfortunately so far it's mostly just the apps I bought, and while most apps are cheap, I don't think I can afford to buy everything on there, just to make videos. Though again if anyone else wants to make videos like moserjj did, then I'll definitely add them to the first post there.
    The only 2 apps I have purchased have been a dollar each, and they both lived up to my expectations.

That's not including Classic, which I paid for after downloading.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    My feeling is that, yes, there will be a better app in most categories if you wait. However, if you need an app, go ahead and buy it because most of them are inexpensive. I don't want to speak for everyone's person finances, but $1-$5/app is a reasonable gamble. Most of us waste that by not using coupons at the grocery store, getting that Starbucks, grabbing Subway or Quiznos instead of making our own, etc.

As for trials, I strongly believe that apps need trials. Problem is, developers don't want to put in the time. Particularly for a $5 app.

I've done some research on refunds. Palm refuses to give them, saying that they have no way of stopping you from using the software. Developers refuse because they say that Palm is handling all the money.

As for Classic, they are using a different model than other developers. Their download is free, but they are handling their own billing. Plus, their app is one of the most expensive and they have a business model that supports registrations, trials, etc.

My opinion: read the reviews. If it looks reasonable, download it. If the app doesn't meet your needs, demand that the developer refund your money. It's their decision whether or not to manage registrations. If they've elected not to, then they need to just trust you when you say you've deleted their software. And don't take "Palm hasn't paid us yet" as an excuse. They have contacts at Palm that they can discuss this issue with. Customers do not have the access. (Developers, yes, I know, your contacts stink and are unresponsive... but at least you have one).

Last thing, for those discussing EULA's: if the EULA is printed on the package, then you cannot return the software because you don't agree. Once you break the seal, you bought it. However, if you cannot read the EULA until you install, that's a different story.

Most stores have no idea how to handle "I read the EULA and I don't agree." Most stores will refuse to help you, even if you shown them where it says "return to where you purchased."

Bottom line, developers, offer trials. Preferably time-limited and not feature. This was pretty standard for PalmOS.

I'd be happy paying $20 for an app that I got a good trial with and agree meets my needs. I'm less happy with the "you downloaded, no refunds" $5 app.
    Put me in the hesitant camp; Looking at purchasing one of the grocery list managers; seems like the more expensive apps have the lower ratings LOL.
    If the apps were more than a few bucks, I might understand the reticence... but at the prices they are, I don't worry too much about being disappointed.

The reviews help, but be sure to read through them, and don't just go by the star ratings, as a lot of people will rate an app low because they had issues downloading or installing it. These issues are not the app's fault.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    $1 and $2 apps ain't so cheap if you have to buy all of them to find the one that works the way you need it to.

Having separate Lite and Trial versions is okay, but clutter the Catalog. Not to mention the developer can't be all that crazy about forking more money over to Palm.

Assuming true trial periods ain't coming the next best option would be if the SDK's emulator could capture a quick video (30 sec?) that the App Cat could show you.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    $1 and $2 apps ain't so cheap if you have to buy all of them to find the one that works the way you need it to.

Having separate Lite and Trial versions is okay, but clutter the Catalog. Not to mention the developer can't be all that crazy about forking more money over to Palm.

Assuming true trial periods ain't coming the next best option would be if the SDK's emulator could capture a quick video (30 sec?) that the App Cat could show you.
    I like the way that PalmGear, Handango, and others did it. Each item in the "catalog" had up to 2 buttons: "trial" and "buy." That way, the trial and full versions were shown together. No cluttering the catalog, the way that Palm has it now, where every variant (some apps have 3 or 4 catalog entries for "trial," "light," "full," "pro," etc.).

Your first point is a good one. I've purchased every RSS/feeds app in the catalog searching for the one that works for me. While my total spent thus far isn't a ton, I've paid for several apps that I didn't use for more than 5 minutes, when I realized that they simply didn't meet my needs. A trial, even a limited one (say one that allows only 5 feeds) for each app would have helped.

Now compound that with the 5, 10, or more types of apps I might buy. Now, what would have been maybe $30 in software turns into $100 or more for me to try things out.
    call me a thrill seeker...but I really don't think every app needs a trial. I mean if you really have to debate that much about an app, I would def say you shouldn't buy it. It's a reason why 9 times out of 10 your going to be hesitant about an app. Imo

but I will say this....for majority of the productivity apps, there def should b a trial period within the app itself or a lite version. Such as Classic, and password managers, banking apps and such
    Coming from the land of Palm OS as I do, where 99% of paid apps had some kind of try-before-you-buy option, I am not going to invest nearly as much money into apps as I did with Palm OS.

How an app looks has nothing to do with how well it works. The Dev's description is always going to be glowing and user reviews, while genuinely helpful, are always biased towards some other person's needs and expectations.

Again, assuming trials are not coming due to webOS's vulnerabilities, I simply NEED something more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Coming from the land of Palm OS as I do, where 99% of paid apps had some kind of try-before-you-buy option, I am not going to invest nearly as much money into apps as I did with Palm OS.
    But you also must know that PalmOS apps were like 10 times the price too.

I can see both sides of it. I'd prefer trials, but it's not that big a deal for me either.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast