1.    #1  
    Well with Audible dropping the ball we are left without a clean way to play books. This is a perfect opportunity for someone to write an application that can properly play an audio book. While there are patches and things to make the current crop of players a bit more friendly to audio books, they are unreliable. Having to manually snap a bookmark is really dangerous in a moving car. There is a patch to make the built in audio player resume - it works mostly but it's a bit unreliable ( I know this from experience ). And of course the players don't have the most friendly ways to get to a spot in a file.

So basically - I'm making a request from the programmers here, especially the ones that have already written audio players. We desperately need a more audio book centric player, whether stand alone or better handling in the third party players.

I, for one, would gladly pay for this. It doesn't take much to make Audible files, um, 'pre friendly', but that's only half the answer.

Thoughts?
    EK
    Last edited by Evil_Kerek; 11/08/2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Typos
    i need this too! i need a player with autoresume on every track and one that will remember the playlist. i used to use pocket player and loved it but haven't found an application for the palm pre
    Have you tried the Remix Music Player? I thought the release notes said that any file that had the "voice" or "book" metatag had that the play position remembered. I don't have any audio books so I can't test that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post
    Have you tried the Remix Music Player? I thought the release notes said that any file that had the "voice" or "book" metatag had that the play position remembered. I don't have any audio books so I can't test that.
    No, only the current playing track's position and playlist is remembered. So save positions in other tracks, you can use the manual bookmark feature.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Does the Remix Music Player play .aac files? This is another reason I'm frustrated. I really don't want to have to go through the whole process of converting the Audible files to virtual CD's and then uploading to my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by 13curly View Post
    Does the Remix Music Player play .aac files? This is another reason I'm frustrated. I really don't want to have to go through the whole process of converting the Audible files to virtual CD's and then uploading to my Pre.
    The codecs supported in webOS are: MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    This thread is a little older, but I'd like to second the request for an audiobook player

I wouldn't expect support for Audible from a third party programmer, since Audible has to deliver such an app themselves because of their DRM-protection stuff. I stumbled upon some posts here lately that Audible is working on such an app for webOS.

Regarding audiobooks in mp3-Format, I only know of two scenarios:

1) 'Whole book in one file': I tried this, doesn't work out very well in many cases. The stockplayer for example remembers the position where you stopped last time (in case you put 'Audiobook' in the genre tag), but sometimes it will simply start from the beginning instead resuming from the last position. I also noticed issues when seeking through the file (also with the Remix Player), for example the displayed time changes while seeking but playback resumes at the position where you started fastforwarding/-rewinding, which leaves you with no clue at all at what playbackposition you really ware. I tested with mp3 and aac encoded files. AAC seemed to work a little better, the player only needed more time to open the file, but sooner or later it will also mess up and reset the audiobook to 00:00 instead of resuming properly....it seems that huge audiofiles are generally not easily handled by the device.

2) 'Audiobook divided in several files/tracks/chapters' whatever: This would be much less 'maintenance'. Only thing needed would be a feature, that makes an automated bookmark containing the track AND the playlist, so that the whole book will resume and not only the last played chapter.

I heard of mediaplayers for other devices that handle scenario no. 2 quite well. I guess for the Pre there don't seem to be developers that are fond of audiobooks, since most requests regarding support for audiobooks don't raise that much interest.

Just my two cents for the audiobook stuff on the Pre

Greetz,
    kickapoo
    I'm BEGGING for an audio book player for my palm pre plus!