Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I noticed that Flightview is now a $4.99 app in the App Catalog. I love this app, but use it so infrequently that I could not justify spending $5 for it. However, having had a Pre since 7/1 I was able to download this app for free before the App catalog went "pay"...

So, what happens if I delete this App, or if I need to wipe and restore my Pre, or need to swap out the phone? Will I have to pay to re-download the App, or do I get "credit" for having this prior to it becoming a paid app?

Has anyone had to deal with this yet?
    Yes, I was wondering the same thing.
    I haven't had to deal with it (knock on wood), but I suspect that when the Pre does need resetting we'll either have to get along without Flightview, or else shell out $4.99. If the app isn't worth $4.99 to you, then you probably really don't need it much, right?
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

I just unistalled it and 4 other less-used apps to free up space, but was still at install limit.( another story) I would try to download it, but my Pre is in paperweight mode until I get home....Can't find my cable even though I never detach the thing.
    I would think that because you currently have the app on your phone, if you were to reset it, your palm profile would pull automatically reload the app on your phone when you restore it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEEZM03 View Post
    I just unistalled it and 4 other less-used apps to free up space, but was still at install limit.( another story)
    Have you tried updating to the latest version of package manager? I believe it now comes with the app limit fix build in.
  7. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I also still have the free homebrew version. If I loose it I will not expect any kind of credit.

Why would expect any kind of credit for having gotten the pleasure of using a free beta homebrew version?

The only exception might be if you had previouly made a memorable donation to the developer and he wanted to help you out of good will.

Note: if you save the ipk or ipkg or whatever file you download to your computer when you install an app via webOSQuickInstall, you have your own local file that you would be able to intall again and again if you wanted.

xtn
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Did they update the app in any way to justify paying for it? I too use the app sparingly and cannot justify a $5 pricetag in the event I lose it. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but the menu font size was not WebOS standard, and the notifications were hideous.

EDIT: to my knowledge, there was never a homebrew version of Flightview. My free copy was obtained via the Beta App Catalog.
    i had the text messaging disappearing problem that happens when you delete long message streams. palm told me to do a partial erase. i told that guy there was no way i was doing that cuz i would loose my apps. what a crappy solution to a software problem.... sorry we didn't test our phone before selling it to you and now you don't know who is texting you. just erase everything and start over.
    As a representative of FlightView, I'm happy to say that your free FlightView app will now be treated as if you paid for it. So if you delete it from your device, you'll be able to download it again for free. Also, as we roll out new versions, you will be able to download those for free. This was one of the advantages of downloading the app as part of the beta program.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by FlightView View Post
    As a representative of FlightView, I'm happy to say that your free FlightView app will now be treated as if you paid for it. So if you delete it from your device, you'll be able to download it again for free. Also, as we roll out new versions, you will be able to download those for free. This was one of the advantages of downloading the app as part of the beta program.
    Thanks for the info!!!!!! And thanks for the App!
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    free version is not available if you had uninstalled it and later used webOS to reformat your device. Bummer.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Thank you very much. I too like the app but don't use it enough to justify paying for it.
    Wow! What a great company and a great app. I would gladly pay for it but I'm stoked that I dont have to.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Are you sure about this? I don't want to rain on any parades but I had the app installed at one point and deleted it, and it wants me to pay the $5 for it now.

I don't really have a need for it, so it doesn't matter anyway, but that seems to contradict what you said. Unless maybe you had to have it installed when the price changed for this to happen or something.
    why any useful app doesn't charge is beyond me.

who will turn down a few easy bucks if they can get it
    Well unfortunately this was not the case for me. Flightview was one of the first apps I downloaded and I have had the Pre since launch day. Maybe I am a special case and exchanged my phone too many times but the app is definitely not on my Pre after my most recent exchange. Hopefully there is something that can be done.
    Thanks for the consideration FlightVIew!!

Honestly, there are a couple of things i would like before i shell out some bucks:

1. Ability to restore saved flights after a hard/soft reset
    2. Please please include international flights already

If these 2 are there then you got my money. It has been a very useful app for travel.

Feature request (not required for me) - ability to update Gate numbers on the Fly. (I had Flight tracker for Palm OS which while ugly had all useful info for me)
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Well unfortunately this was not the case for me. Flightview was one of the first apps I downloaded and I have had the Pre since launch day. Maybe I am a special case and exchanged my phone too many times but the app is definitely not on my Pre after my most recent exchange. Hopefully there is something that can be done.
    Same here, I had the app for quite some time but had to delete it because of that wonderful out of space issue and then i had to exchange my pre for a new one. I just tried to download the app again after setting up my new pre and its asking for a credit card number. I guess i won't get the app back any time soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    I also still have the free homebrew version. If I loose it I will not expect any kind of credit.

Why would expect any kind of credit for having gotten the pleasure of using a free beta homebrew version?

The only exception might be if you had previouly made a memorable donation to the developer and he wanted to help you out of good will.

Note: if you save the ipk or ipkg or whatever file you download to your computer when you install an app via webOSQuickInstall, you have your own local file that you would be able to intall again and again if you wanted.

xtn
    there never was a homebrew version - it was just one of the earliest apps on the App Catalog
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast