Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I personally find it very hard to tell whether an application is good or not based on 1-3 pictures and a few reviews. With many of these applications not having trials, it's pretty hit or miss right now. Because of that, I decided to make videos of the applications that I've bought, so that you can at least see them in motion and make a better decision.

All videos have been recorded in the emulator, so there might be some slowdown on an actual device. Regardless, I still think it should be helpful for many, and if I have a chance to, I'll probably make videos of future purchases as well.

Videos by Me

Videos by Others

- video by developer KenCorbettJr
    - video by developer boucles0
    - video by developer Kev1000000
    - video by developer spdsktr
    GeoStrings - tutorial videos made by developer DanPLC
    - video by developer moserjj
    - video by developer moserjj
    - video by developer FirstStryke08
    - video by developer boucles0
    - video by developer MoreSolutions
    - video by developer rbredow
    - video by developer oa
    - video by developer vitalyx
    - video by developer MrJspeed

If any of these have been useful for you, I encourage others to do similarly.

EDIT: I haven't been updating this since the arrival of Youtube links in the official App Catalog. Devs can feel free to post links in this thread, but I won't be updating the first post anymore.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 09/19/2010 at 06:53 PM.
    Dude thats great, thanks for doing that!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Thanks for this!
    Can you permalink other people's posts to your main post when they have a youtube video of certain apps?
  4.    #4  
    Definitely will try to, yeah.
    Good idea. It would be nice of Palm could sponsor an app catalog channel on YouTube and link to it from the catalog.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  6.    #6  
    Updated to add Match 'Em. SplashID and Top Stocks videos up now as well.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 11/04/2009 at 03:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Nice job on the videos. If only there was a video for GolfPinFinder I could link to...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    Nice job on the videos. If only there was a video for GolfPinFinder I could link to...
    Sorry, haven't bought it... and plus I'm not sure it'd be too helpful to show a GPS-based program on the emulator where I'd have to fake GPS.

Besides, you have that nice demo anyway that people can try before they buy.

But if someone else who bought it does make a video, I can definitely link it to the first post.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 11/04/2009 at 02:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Sorry, haven't bought it... and plus I'm not sure it'd be too helpful to show a GPS-based program on the emulator where I'd have to fake GPS.

Besides, you have that nice demo anyway that people can try before they buy.

But if someone else who bought it does make a video, I can definitely link it to the first post.
    the only thing preventing me from doing it is laziness - i suppose I should do it as i like how your videos turned out. thanks for the inspiration/motivation!

and the emulator does a pretty good job at faking the GPS too - you'll just be centered at Palm's HQ in Sunnyvale. Luckily, there is a golf course across the street
    and the emulator does a pretty good job at faking the GPS too - you'll just be centered at Palm's HQ in Sunnyvale. Luckily, there is a golf course across the street
    I was wondering about that. 2079 yard drive from the front step.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  11.    #11  
    the only thing preventing me from doing it is laziness - i suppose I should do it as i like how your videos turned out. thanks for the inspiration/motivation!
    Glad to hear it, I think it's pretty helpful to see the app in action... though of course, all of my videos are apps I bought already anyway, so maybe not helpful for myself yet.

Edit: and in case anyone is wondering how to record the screen of the emulator: I'm using Camtasia Studio which has a free 30-day trial, but the full version is outrageously expensive ($300). So, there are other solutions: the open-source Cam Studio should do the trick for example.
  12.    #12  
    Just updated the first post, moserjj made some good videos of his two applications. Made a separate section for them and clarified who made them, just in the interest of full disclosure, but I still think they're very helpful.
  13.    #13  
    vitalyx, creator of TopStocks, made a video of the new version submitted to Palm, so I added it to my list.

And if I miss any videos, let me know.
    This is fantastic! Thanks for doing this. I just looked through your videos and decided to buy one of the apps because you took the time.
    I will do this for my app, Dealert. Which software did you use to do the video capturing?
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  16.    #16  
    I used Camtasia Studio, but it's expensive, like I mentioned above. It seems the open-source alternative I linked to would do the trick, but I don't know for sure.
    As promised, here is my video demo of Dealert.

Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    As promised, here is my video demo of Dealert.

Added to the first post.
    Did a quick one for FlashCards:
  20.    #20  
    Sorry for the delay, was mostly gone for the holiday week.

Added FlashCards to the first post.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast