Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Next manual request: explanation of everything in the preferences; especially emulation modes, pros and cons of each mode, what to watch for, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    Should we make a separate thread for the “user manual topics”?
    Yeah, that might be a good idea -- maybe start it out with a link to the two(?) FAQs so folks know the starting point.

Regards,
    Tom
    We have FAQ and instructions on Classic within a section dedicated on our website at Customer Support - MotionApps

Still, we learned that there are questions not covered there and decided to cover such cases in this thread, so that we can add to our FAQ section based on your feedback and suggestions.

So, things you always wanted to know about Classic and never dared to ask – let’s talk about them here.

First question added based on “initiative” from the forums is the question on hard buttons mapping Customer Support - MotionApps
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Next manual request: explanation of everything in the preferences; especially emulation modes, pros and cons of each mode, what to watch for, etc.

Yeah, that might be a good idea -- maybe start it out with a link to the two(?) FAQs so folks know the starting point.

Regards,
    Tom

Done and done!

Answer coming up!
    Follow us on Twitter

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Cool thread, nice product.

I use classic almost exclusively for the calendar. Any chance of a full-screen option for that? I realize you're emulating a centro, so the screen size generally is limited, but what about a special case exception for the calendar? Or even a standalone app? (Or god forbid.. a TX emulator??? That would be awesome.)

Finally, just as sort of a trivia question because I'm curious, why does the calendar, and all the apps for that matter, operate with such snap, compared to WebOS apps? is it because it runs right from the Linux kernal and bypasses WebOS althogether? I'm grasping at straws there, I know..

Thanks again for the communication, nice to see this thread.

Oh yes, I do actually have another question, I have a couple of Palm OS ebook readers I used to really love on my TX. These apps appear to function normally in classic, but I can't get my txt files and other docs in a location that it will read them. I tried copying files in every conceivable location I could think of, and it's just not picking them up. Any way to USB file transfer txt files to read in an ebook reader?
    Thanks again!!!
    I'd recommend that Motionapps both explain and advertise the Connect function in Classic allowing you to make calls and email from within Contacts in Classic. As I came from a TX, I never dialed out using this function. I suppose Centro or Treo users will be more familiar with this. I love that it gives me the option of using my Classic Contacts which has all of my clients for dialing as well as the Pre Contacts which has mostly personal contacts. Very nice.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzeph View Post
    I'd recommend that Motionapps both explain and advertise the Connect function in Classic allowing you to make calls and email from within Contacts in Classic. As I came from a TX, I never dialed out using this function. I suppose Centro or Treo users will be more familiar with this. I love that it gives me the option of using my Classic Contacts which has all of my clients for dialing as well as the Pre Contacts which has mostly personal contacts. Very nice.
    Ooh, nice call! Also coming from a TX, I didn't know you could do that. Honestly I find this method a bit more cumbersome than the universal search in WebOS, but that's probably because I don't split up my contacts lists, the classic is the same as my WebOS. Regardless, it's nice to know you can do this, and I'm sure it will come in handy eventually.
    If you have email addresses entered in Contacts you can use the Connect function to email from within Classic. If you have a mobile phone number in there, you are given the choice to text or call your contact within Classic. Yeah, it does involve an extra step or two, but it's still a very handy feature.
    Jesus guys, curiosity killed the cat…

Here we go:

1. Emulation modes (TomJ)

All four modes are a combination of Turbo and Sound modes on/off.
    - Turbo: adds to the speed but can influence stability in terms that Classic can become a bit unstable
    - Sound: adds sound obviously, but in combination with Turbo mode can also influence stability. If it is off, stability might be improved, but this is really minor and still is on a theory level as far as real testing is concerned
    - Safe mode: does not have sound and turbo is off
    - Normal mode: includes sound without turbo
    Basically, you should not think too much of the mode you’re using unless you notice significant instability when using a particular app. In this case, our recommendation is to change the mode Classic is in

2. Connect function (doctorzeph, neve) – we added FAQ on our website Customer Support - MotionApps

(there are pictures too)
    Last edited by Classic by MotionApps; 11/05/2009 at 03:59 AM. Reason: adding smiley:)
    Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    Cool thread, nice product.

I use classic almost exclusively for the calendar. Any chance of a full-screen option for that? I realize you're emulating a centro, so the screen size generally is limited, but what about a special case exception for the calendar? Or even a standalone app? (Or god forbid.. a TX emulator??? That would be awesome.)

Finally, just as sort of a trivia question because I'm curious, why does the calendar, and all the apps for that matter, operate with such snap, compared to WebOS apps? is it because it runs right from the Linux kernal and bypasses WebOS althogether? I'm grasping at straws there, I know..

Thanks again for the communication, nice to see this thread.

Oh yes, I do actually have another question, I have a couple of Palm OS ebook readers I used to really love on my TX. These apps appear to function normally in classic, but I can't get my txt files and other docs in a location that it will read them. I tried copying files in every conceivable location I could think of, and it's just not picking them up. Any way to USB file transfer txt files to read in an ebook reader?
    Thanks again!!!
    Full screen is kind of “all or nothing” question. Since we can consider “all” only (as far as tech aspect of this is concerned, we can not address special cases), there is a discussion on this with some questions from us at http://forums.precentral.net/officia...ml#post1979805

Trivia stuff (geeky, truly geeky…): Classic (the part of it that actually emulates Palm OS) runs as a native Linux application, it is not running on a "kernel level". That makes it as fast as possible, having in mind that Classic is running concurrently with the rest of webOS, thus it is not able to obtain full processor power for itself. Still, even in those conditions Classic is the fastest Palm OS "device" ever, as Palm Pre comes with very fast mobile processor.

As for your files, you should place them wherever the particular app (ebook) requires them at. If the app “says” they should be in /PALM/Programs/EbookReader/book.txt in Classic it will be /ClassicApps/PALM/Programs/EbookReader/book.txt. In all cases, only /ClassicApps/ is added to the directory path in the front
    Follow us on Twitter

A question about connections in preferences.
    1) What kind of connection is the build in HotSync connection?
    2) If I add a connection like local network, I can only choose Cradle/cable?
    3) Is this Connection prefs working or just for future expansion?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    My previous Palm was a Tungsten T3. When I look at the four buttons, I see "home," "mail," "calendar," and ?????. What is the fourth item? The one that looks like a circle over a mountain, or perhaps a person. It doesn't seem to do anything except a subset of what the "home" button does.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuns View Post
    My previous Palm was a Tungsten T3. When I look at the four buttons, I see "home," "mail," "calendar," and ?????. What is the fourth item? The one that looks like a circle over a mountain, or perhaps a person. It doesn't seem to do anything except a subset of what the "home" button does.
    That was one of the questions that prompted this thread. It was answered in post #2 -- look here for the key mapping, and follow other links in post #2 for more info. Then, if you don't find your answer, come back here and ask away.

Regards,
    Tom
    p.s. I think that key is supposed to be contacts(???), as it kinda looks like a dude, but it serves a completely different function in Classic (as you'll see). I'm coming from a TX (after a T3), so I had no idea either.
    That was one of the questions that prompted this thread. It was answered in post #2 -- look here for the key mapping, and follow other links in post #2 for more info. Then, if you don't find your answer, come back here and ask away.

Regards,
    Tom
    p.s. I think that key is supposed to be contacts(???), as it kinda looks like a dude, but it serves a completely different function in Classic (as you'll see). I'm coming from a TX (after a T3), so I had no idea either.
    Yes, this key was Contacts key in Palm OS/Centro, and yes it does serve another function in Classic – installer that checks for and initiates installation files you’ve placed in ClassicApps/Install folder.

However, based on what you said under P.S. we are thinking about starting a petition to name this key “the dude key” in Classic.
    Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    Yes, this key was Contacts key in Palm OS/Centro, and yes it does serve another function in Classic – installer that checks for and initiates installation files you’ve placed in ClassicApps/Install folder.

However, based on what you said under P.S. we are thinking about starting a petition to name this key “the dude key” in Classic.
    Is the "dude key" really necessary? Doesn't Classic automatically scan for installation files upon startup? It would seem less confusing if the dude key worked like every other. If it is necessary to rescan while running Classic, it would seem better placed (and identified) in the Pre Menu.
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40 View Post
    Is the "dude key" really necessary? Doesn't Classic automatically scan for installation files upon startup? It would seem less confusing if the dude key worked like every other. If it is necessary to rescan while running Classic, it would seem better placed (and identified) in the Pre Menu.
    Got to agree with the above.

The "dude key" is a waste of a good key that could be assigned to another useful app by the user.

Surely, when you add prc's etc into the install folder, you should then simple close down classic and re-open it to install the added files ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    One thing I have yet to figure out, and can't find in the FAQ or user guide, is how Classic behaves when the (on-screen) keyboard mode is swapped in the "silk screen area" with the 5-way navigator.

It seems like some of the buttons displayed are supposed to reflect some of the edges of the physical keyboard but I haven't figured out how to use it or why you would.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreOwned View Post
    One thing I have yet to figure out, and can't find in the FAQ or user guide, is how Classic behaves when the (on-screen) keyboard mode is swapped in the "silk screen area" with the 5-way navigator.

It seems like some of the buttons displayed are supposed to reflect some of the edges of the physical keyboard but I haven't figured out how to use it or why you would.
    If you mean switching between using the keyboard or using just the screen, the keys Q for "dude key", P for home, orange for calendar, and enter for mail. In prefs you can select/change what some of the keys do. I find it a lot easier to navigate using the keys than the touch screen, but there are functions that can be performed with the keys turned off, which is why I actually like the toggle option of turning the keys on and off. Hope that answers your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtina View Post
    If you mean switching between using the keyboard or using just the screen, the keys Q for "dude key", P for home, orange for calendar, and enter for mail.
    Oh duh, I finally get it. Those show mappings of keys on the physical keyboard to functions in the dynamic input area. I thought it was supposed to be more like the opposite, where the DIA did something different. Similar to how a TX or T5 can change the layout of the DIA.

I was trying to get the DIA to act different, and couldn't. I'll have to try it and see if I like it as a 5-way alternative because I really miss a real 5-way with tactile feedback.

I guess this answers too how you'd maybe simulate those buttons and the 5-way if they ever emulate a TX and 320x480 support.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtina View Post
    ...In prefs you can select/change what some of the keys do....
    And by this, you mean PalmOS prefs, to change the behavior of the 4 (well, 3) function keys, right? 'Cuz if there was a way to change which Pre physical keyboard keys map to the 5-way, I'd want to know.

E.g. I would map W,Z,A,D,S for top, bottom, left, right, center, so I could press these without looking (look at your Pre keyboard to see what I mean).

As it stands, I don't use the physical keyboard mapping, as it offers no advantage that I can see. But, I encourage others to show me what I'm missing.

Regards,
    Tom
    E.g. I would map W,Z,A,D,S for top, bottom, left, right, center, so I could press these without looking (look at your Pre keyboard to see what I mean).
    You're not a former WordStar user per chance are you? It used a similar diamond pattern for cursor navigation nearly 30 years ago.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast