Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    what all does Classic do at startup? It seems to open faster in airplane mode, leading me to believe there arenetwork calls being made when wifi or evdo is available.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    That was one of the questions that prompted this thread. It was answered in post #2
    Ah, thanks for the answer and for being polite when pointing me to the answer. (Too many are impolite. Your response was very reasonable.)

I would *never* have thought to look under "button mapping / assignment" to find the answer to that question! The later responses also explain why the icon is what it is. Now it makes sense, in context.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    Yes, this key was Contacts key in Palm OS/Centro, and yes it does serve another function in Classic – installer that checks for and initiates installation files you’ve placed in ClassicApps/Install folder.
    Is there a way to load new PRCs while Classic is running and without stopping and restarting Classic? This hadn't even occurred to me as an option. It is even possible? (I guess plugging into USB doesn't stop currently-running apps, does it? Hmm.)

I think checking for new installable files would be better as a menu item. It can't be something that is done very often!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    what all does Classic do at startup? It seems to open faster in airplane mode, leading me to believe there arenetwork calls being made when wifi or evdo is available.
    I am also very curious about this, as my Tungsten T|3 starts up near instantaneously, while Classic can take minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuns View Post
    Is there a way to load new PRCs while Classic is running and without stopping and restarting Classic? This hadn't even occurred to me as an option. It is even possible? (I guess plugging into USB doesn't stop currently-running apps, does it? Hmm.)

I think checking for new installable files would be better as a menu item. It can't be something that is done very often!
    This is a "no-go". Even if you load PRCs while Classic is running, you would need to "refresh" it to make it "pick up" the PRCs.

Another menu option. Hm. That is two more clicks to do, and if you do not have any loaded, it does not make the difference. That's why it was made to work like this.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuns View Post
    I am also very curious about this, as my Tungsten T|3 starts up near instantaneously, while Classic can take minutes.
    Classic does a bunch of things at startup, but we tried to optimize it in a way it does not take longer than other webOS apps. Depending on the number of apps you have loaded in Classic, it can take longer.
    Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    ... Depending on the number of apps you have loaded in Classic, it can take longer.
    That's interesting. So I wonder if there is any merit in running the freeware PalmOS program CleanStart to help speed up the Classic starting time?

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1849-1.htm
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    That's interesting. So I wonder if there is any merit in running the freeware PalmOS program CleanStart to help speed up the Classic starting time?

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1849-1.htm
    could be, but we did not try it nor we can anticipate if there would be any unwanted consequences. This is another app that should be tested, and if you do so, let us know of results. Be carefully thought, because it seems to mess with some ROM portions you should not mess with.
    Follow us on Twitter

I have Classic v2.0.1 and webOS 1.3.5. They are playing real nice together. If I update to Classic v2.1.2 and it doesn't work well with my apps. Will I be able to go back to the old version?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I have Classic v2.0.1 and webOS 1.3.5. They are playing real nice together. If I update to Classic v2.1.2 and it doesn't work well with my apps. Will I be able to go back to the old version?
    No. At least not in a way we would recommend.
    Follow us on Twitter

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    That combination worked well for me as well, but, after upgrading Classic to the newest version, Classic started to crash again. mostly "...illegal operation".
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I don't want to be an early adopter anymore-can't afford it.

Do most of you recommend not "upgrading" to the latest Classic version IF and when I update to webos 1.3.5?
    Okay, I have the dumbest question of all I bet -- how do I find audible in Classic? I haven't been using Classic long, but every time I do I keep meaning to ask here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    Okay, I have the dumbest question of all I bet -- how do I find audible in Classic? I haven't been using Classic long, but every time I do I keep meaning to ask here.
    i wanna know that too
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Can I do a search for keywords in my contacts notes Like I did with my treo?
    Does classic have a way to do the option/search? the pre doesnt have a search key near option key like treo did
    Quote Originally Posted by ETjumps View Post
    Can I do a search for keywords in my contacts notes Like I did with my treo?
    No.
    How do I sync the Classic calendar with my exchange server wirelessly or can I? My user hates the Pre calendar so he has loaded Classic to ease his transition from a Treo but I can't find how to sync the calendar with Exchange.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    First, let me apologize if this has been discussed. I really have been reading the posts, but haven't found this (basic?) subject.

First, let me give you a little history about me ...

If you don't want to read all of this, you can skip to the end for my question.

[I got my first smartphone with Sprint in 2000 (6035). Then, I upgraded to an I500. Sprint service is not ideal in my area, so once I was off contract AND phone number portability was available, I switched to Verizon and a Treo 700p. Throughout all of these handhelds I have always used Palm Desktop.

When the Pre was released via Sprint last year, I began my research. I have been (desperately) trying to figure out if I would be able to continue using my Palm Desktop with the Pre. All signs pointed to "NO." Then, when the Pre was released on Verizon, the Verizon Smartphone Guy met with me and my boss so that we could check out the latest smartphones (including the Pre Plus). He seemed pretty knowledgeable, and my business rep had given him a heads up regarding my issues. He immediately showed me Classic, and assured me that I would be able to Hotsync my Palm Desktop with the Pre Plus.

Of course, I don't trust Verizon salespeople. So, I started checking online.

Thanks to the good people at MotionApps and PreCentral, I was reassured that I would indeed be able to Hotsync.]

However, before I pull the trigger on this sweet handheld, I have one more question ...

When you do Hotsync a Palm Pre Plus with Palm Desktop, where do you access the data on the Pre? Will it be in the Pre Contacts, Calendar, etc? Or will I have to access it via Classic Contacts, Calendar, etc?
    Nicky
    Quote Originally Posted by nsanders View Post
    When you do Hotsync a Palm Pre Plus with Palm Desktop, where do you access the data on the Pre? Will it be in the Pre Contacts, Calendar, etc? Or will I have to access it via Classic Contacts, Calendar, etc?
    Two answers:

1) You can only do a Palm Hotsync with PalmOS from within MA Classic, and the data will be stuck within Classic and the PalmOS apps therein.
    You can get the data out into the 'Clouds' with GooSync and then pull it into your Pre webOS apps.

2) If you want to sync between Palm Desktop and the native Pre webOS apps directly, then you need to use Echo:
    Echo is the Palm Desktop synchronization solution for Palm Pre
    I've not used Echo myself, but use it's sister programe, PocketMirror, which syncs with Outlook, which works 100%.

Hope that is clear and helps. If not ask more
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Thank you so much. That is EXACTLY what I needed to know.
    Nicky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast