1.    #1  
    In response to a few people that asked, I figured this would be a good place to explain why we need your e-mail address and phone number when you use MoreStocks.

The first time you run the app, you'll be asked to create your profile. This information is needed in order to store your personal settings (including stock list, portfolio transactions and triggers) so that it isn't shared with anyone else. This lets you automatically view your personal portfolio if you ever reset your phone or get a new one. You won't need to re-enter all your information all over again.

The other big advantage is that it enables some cool features, like instant notifications, to automatically work even if the app is closed. Your battery won't drain so fast since it doesn't constantly refresh to see if triggers have been met. Our servers will do the heavy lifting for you.

We promise not to spam you, or share your information with spammers. Occasionally, e-mails are sent out to notify users of new features or enhancements, but we include an unsubscribe link in each one, so you have the ability to opt out of future messages.
    Last edited by MoreSolutions; 10/29/2009 at 10:48 PM.
    I personally don't use your app, but I would recommend that you include a checkbox on the profile creation scene that allows people to opt out of the emails from the beginning.

Maybe even a button on your preferences scene if you have one.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreSolutions View Post
    In response to a few people that asked, I figured this would be a good place to explain why we need your e-mail address and phone number when you use MoreStocks.

The first time you run the app, you'll be asked to create your profile. This information is needed in order to store your personal settings (including stock list, portfolio transactions and triggers) so that it isn't shared with anyone else. This lets you automatically view your personal portfolio if you ever reset your phone or get a new one. You won't need to re-enter all your information all over again.

The other big advantage is that it enables some cool features, like instant notifications, to automatically work even if the app is closed. Your battery won't drain so fast since it doesn't constantly refresh to see if triggers have been met. Our servers will do the heavy lifting for you.

We promise not to spam you, or share your information with spammers. Occasionally, e-mails are sent out to notify users of new features or enhancements, but we include an unsubscribe link in each one, so you have the ability to opt out of future messages.
    I can understand you wanting an email for a profile but I would never give my phone number to an app, it's too private.
    Also you have a spambot there, might wanna IP ban..although they'll just use proxies. Still it will hold them off for a bit.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpa View Post
    I can understand you wanting an email for a profile but I would never give my phone number to an app, it's too private.
    I understand your concern, but one of the main reasons we need the phone number is for instant notifications. This allows you to receive price alerts even if the app is closed, since they are delivered via text message. It's been a very popular feature and something that no other app offers.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreSolutions View Post
    I understand your concern, but one of the main reasons we need the phone number is for instant notifications. This allows you to receive price alerts even if the app is closed, since they are delivered via text message. It's been a very popular feature and something that no other app offers.
    I definitely see what you are saying and it is a legitimate use of the information. However I would also suggest that this be an option. I found it a little offensive personally. Moreover for the ones that don't want the features; they should have some way of opting out of this. Otherwise people may well give you bogus email addresses or phone numbers and that can just be a nightmare on your side of things.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by legend79 View Post
    I definitely see what you are saying and it is a legitimate use of the information. However I would also suggest that this be an option. I found it a little offensive personally. Moreover for the ones that don't want the features; they should have some way of opting out of this. Otherwise people may well give you bogus email addresses or phone numbers and that can just be a nightmare on your side of things.
    Thanks for the suggestion. We'll consider something like that for a future update!