Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I've been impressed with how unreasonable the initial offerings from the WebOS apps has been.

Iphone developed a great model, where people could add functionality for free or $.99.

Warp to 2009, where I am seeing $5, 10, $20, $30 Palm apps, that really don't do much. The psychology of spending this much is quite different.

If you are developing a photo editing suite ... you may get this ... but I have to believe that this is a psychological disease that should be treated.

I may get blasted for this opinion, but it's almost like noone learned anything from the Iphone.
    $30 for something like Classic is reasonable but I agree that in general the WebOS apps are a little too lacking in functionality to be worth that kind of money.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I don't even think CLASSIC is worth $30!! MAYBE $20...but I think $15. They're ripping people off until apps are made for WebOS.

We should do a poll as to HOW useful it is. I have a friend that wants Classic but since he would need it for two phones he refuses to have to fork out $60!!!! THAT is ridiculous! Especially for a BACKWARDS-COMPATIBLE APP!!!!
    $30 for classic is cheap. It's no more than a nice dinner and it's less than half, if not third, of your monthly bill. It's all in your head.
    sorry, i went to a new phone with a new os.. not to a new phone with a new os to run old apps... yes,, i loved my palm tx.. hell the thing still works,, and i still use it for some things.. but no bloody way i am forking over 30 bucks to get "classic". I will wait for docs to go, and a few other things. I want a good agenda, in fact i need a good agenda. I will consider buying the one on the app list if Canada ever gets to pay for em... I would prefer.. having it as an update to the actual OS.. I could care less about video.. and app limits. Give me the functionality that my palm tx had, with out having to spend as much again, if not more, then the bloody phone cost.

to sivan, i dont care if its a 1/3rd of my monthly bill. why should i have to pay for something that should be part of the system in the first place. If palm has no intention in doing these kind of updates, ie agenda, syncing, and so on, tell me. I will either buy the apps i need, or migrate to another phone.
    This waiting is fine, but if they are empty promises, forget it. I am a huge palm pre fan, no other phone does what this one does. I have used palms since the whole palm pilot thing started. Do not screw around, tell me, and I will make my way from there.
    If enough people agree with you than the price will drop. Being a new platform, there will be a lot of trial and error where developers search for the sweet spot of selling a few copies at a high price, or a lot of copies at a low price. Eventually, the developers will pick a price point that maximizes their profits. There are a lot of threads like these on the boards that are more a discussion of basic economics rather than about the actual apps.
    $30 for Classic is well worth it. For Windows Mobile the Palm OS emulator is called StyleTap. It costs $49.95 and is not nearly as robust or stable as Classic.

Then again if $30 is too much for you then nobody is holding a gun to your head making you buy it.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I don't know why Palm didn't develop classic. What you have is a product from an independent developer. You can buy it from the developer or not. But the developer put time and effort into it.
    I believe the developers set the app prices not Palm. If they don't sell they will have to bring the prices down.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Economics 101 - Supply and Demand

An economic model based on price, utility and quantity in a market. It concludes that in a competitive market, price will function to equalize the quantity demanded by consumers, and the quantity supplied by producers, resulting in an economic equilibrium of price and quantity.

The result is that if you have a supply of Fart apps that outstrips the demand for Fart apps, the price goes down. Thus, you can find a perfectly good fart app for free on the Iphone because there are three thousand of them.

Currently, the official App Catalog for the Pre has very few apps, but the demand is high. So prices tend to be higher for apps due to lack of competition.

Using Classic as an example, you can see how they can charge 30 bucks, because people will pay it due to lack of options.

Just remember that if the world wants Pre apps to be cheap and there are thousands of Apps, you get cheap apps. Right now we are 180 degress away from that, but I expect to see that change.
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    sorry, i went to a new phone with a new os.. not to a new phone with a new os to run old apps... yes,, i loved my palm tx.. hell the thing still works,, and i still use it for some things.. but no bloody way i am forking over 30 bucks to get "classic". I will wait for docs to go, and a few other things..
    If you bought Classic you would have DocsToGo and a lot of other great PalmOS apps. Classic on a Pre does have some advantages over just using a Centro. The WebOS web browser is the most obvious. Then there is the Wi-fi. If Palm ever releases a GSM version in North America, GSM 3G would be another. If exchange syncing is a requirement, the WebOS implementation is far more robust than PalmOS's.

Actually, if Classic didn't exist I would have lost interest in the Pre months ago.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Economics 101 - Supply and Demand

While supply and demand are basic economic considerations ... there are advanced issues at play here also.

Apple has the market leading (busting) product that the Pre is in competition with. The hardware cost is similar.

With the Iphone ($199) and applications for $1 ... you can see that quickly it becomes too expensive in comparison to own the Pre.

Badly priced apps up front ... could crush the demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Using Classic as an example, you can see how they can charge 30 bucks, because people will pay it due to lack of options.
    Well, first you need to find someone who can develop it for less. Do you know that's possible? You only presume it's somehow trivial to develop, and it's all gravy for the developer just because there's no competition.

Just remember that if the world wants Pre apps to be cheap and there are thousands of Apps, you get cheap apps. Right now we are 180 degress away from that, but I expect to see that change.
    The world has price expectations based on Apple's store. That store hasn't yet been proved to be viable for independent developers. Most of them are running on fumes. And even if it was viable, it's a completely different scale that does not apply to the Palm's app catalog.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Apple has 100,000+ apps, most of which are either free or the minimum of $0.99. And many of them have only been downloaded by the developer him/herself. Apple is going for numbers. Palm wants value instead of quantity. When the App Catalog is opened up, the developer will be charged to post a free app. This should eliminate the "Here's my version of Hello World!" and all the other trash that has turned the Apple store into a trash heap of junk to search endlessly through. My prediction is that the first day of the app catalog going open is the day after the last free app is listed (unless it is a demo version of a pay-for app).
    Author of Exch-Calc, Dog Years, Cat Years and all future creations of Pre-zy Software. Available in the Application Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post

Actually, if Classic didn't exist I would have lost interest in the Pre months ago.
    That may be the saddest commentary of all. You're saying the only way the Pre is worth its cost is as a platform for an antique OS and its apps. For me, that's not worth the cost of a new 2 year commitment and a much more expensive plan.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    i think $30 is a LITTLE unreasonable for classic it was one of the first apps i looked at when i got my pre but that price tag stopped me, great app dont get me wrong jus not worth it to me personally
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    That may be the saddest commentary of all. You're saying the only way the Pre is worth its cost is as a platform for an antique OS and its apps. For me, that's not worth the cost of a new 2 year commitment and a much more expensive plan.
    The Pre has a few advantages over the Centro. The web browser, wi-fi, 3G for GSM, GPS and multi-tasking. OTOH it also has a lot of disadvantages, crappy built in PIM apps and not much in the way of third party apps.

But I have to agree with your general point. WebOS and the Pre are a disappointment from the technical point of view, particularly the SDK. Many people have defended Palm's technical strategy and promised a "flood" of apps. I have yet to see this flood.

For now I have decided to mothball my Centro for a Blackberry Bold 9700. It does most things I want to do out of the box. I have only had to pay $10 for a new version of eWallet. The only app I can't get is Pocket Quicken.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 12/22/2009 at 04:52 PM.
    I too looked at classic as soon as I got my Pre in my hand. I am a former PalmOS developer and have published over a dozen apps, mostly targeted towards education. I had to release those apps with a price tag. The most expensive of those was 3.99. I was a classroom teacher developing for classroom teachers, so I tried to keep in mind what "my audience" could afford. All of that was to say that I think have can see both sides of the issue, developer and consumer. With that in mind, I have not purchased classic, not even to see "my" apps on the new platform. For me, right now for what it would give ME, I don't see it's value.

That doesn't mean that I think the price is wrong. There are users that need access to that "vital" app via classic, they will find the price acceptable.

For most single-purpose, high-quality apps, I see the price point at somewhere between $3-$7. For a multi-function or specialized app, such as Docs-to-go (Please, Dataviz, when will it be here!) I would like to see something around $20-$25.

All of this goes to quality, I'll pay more for a quality app. One thing I hope does continue is Palm letting me decide what a quality app is. I would be dissappointed if they began "censoring" the app catalog based on "quality." I think the open app effort from Palm is a good sign that Palm will at least allow all apps that developers produce to be available.
    Developers are pricing their apps as such because there is not much competition out there right now. I had an iPhone when apps first came out and the prices were pretty much the same. The EA games that we just got were the same price they were when they first came out on the iPhone then dropped. Prices will go down eventually when more similar apps come out and the more webOS users there are.

Developers took there time to create these apps and they have the right to price there apps at whatever they please, stop *****ing! When you bought your phone no one gave you guaranteed prices on apps.
    Another thing to keep in mind: there are over 7 million iPhone owners. A much bigger market with much more profit potential. To make up for this profit potential developers (especially large companies like EA) need to charge more for the application to make it worth their time. There aren't anywhere near 7 million Pre owners (yet?)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast