Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Anyone else have lots of trouble with it? Sometimes, I'll start it up and I immediately get the spinning loading symbol - which will never end. I have to swipe it off and re-start. Then, I'll try and choose a section, and I get the same spinning loading symbol that never ends.
    If I'm reading an article and I put the Pre down for a minute, and the screen goes dark, and I wake it up, it will go to spinning symbol forever. I know this is a beta app - but jeez. Anyone else having this problem??
    I get this exact problem all the time. The app just seems to freeze every 3rd or 4th article link with the spinning wheel. Very annoying.

This was one of the original apps on the Palm Pre, so it's now been 4 months since launch. Are they even planning to update it?

I also wish we got the other features our iPhone brethren have been enjoying on their NY Times apps - the ability to download articles in one burst for offline reading later is extremely useful (the Newsweek Palm Pre app does this).
    I read the New York Times app just about every day, and I have not had it freeze on me. I am usually on a Wi-Fi network either at home or at the office, and I wonder if you are freezing because you are running EVDO or slower. Also, I am running v0.9.15. How about you?

My one complaint is that it is hard to get the drop-down list of categories. I sometimes have to touch it several times before it responds and shows me the list. But after that, All the News that's Fit to Print!
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Yes. I believe that problem started with 1.2.
    I'm glad it works well for you, and yes, completely agree on how good content is. That said, it is annoying to have this problem occur for me (and the OP as well). I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app to no avail. Just one of those odd inconsistencies of a new OS, I guess.
    Forgot to add - Under the help menu, it says 0.9.15 at the top of the page. But when I click the About link under help (on the same page), it says Version 1.1 Beta. And in the app store, it says v0.9.15 as well.

I don't think there's a version 1.2 out (unless sivan was referring to the WebOS version). I've been having this problem even in earlier versions of the WebOS, so it's certainly not that.
    Quote Originally Posted by gryfone View Post
    Forgot to add - Under the help menu, it says 0.9.15 at the top of the page. But when I click the About link under help (on the same page), it says Version 1.1 Beta. And in the app store, it says v0.9.15 as well.
    I am running the same version. As I said, no problemos. Sorry.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Well, NYT sucks anyhow...too one-sided reporting anyhow...Wonder why their subscriptions numbers are so low these days...
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I would just go to the mobile website. It works better than the app.
    I have had some issues recently with the wheel spinning. I did also notice that after 1.2.0, the section drop down on the top of the screen was no longer properly aligned and i had a hard time getting it to drop down and the "Latest News" for example is now going outside of the ovule-like shading that it has.

With that said, I still think the NY Times is an excellent newspaper, on par with TV stations like CNN and so I love the content. What would make it great is if they could have it auto download sections (or all) at a scheduled time, like every morning. I ride the subway in NY and there isn't an internet connection...so I have to quickly grab what I want before I go underground. If they were add even more content, I would certainly be willing to pay an annual fee for its use.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    I tried searching the forums and found nothing posted so figured I'd reply on this thread - has anyone noticed for a while now that the section you are in (eg: "Latest News") is at the top end, not centered and slightly cut off. I

thought this was a problem with the version that would be fixed with upgrades, but nothing has been done and it makes it much harder to tap the correct spot to generate the list of other sections.

Anyone else notice this?
    Yes, I have had that problem too, for at least 2 WebOS versions now (incl. 1.31). I still have the problem with the app getting stuck at the whirly circle.

This was one of the original apps in the Pre, so it's 5 months old now, with not a single update. I think the developer (NY Times) rushed it out with Palm's prodding, but it's simply not a priority with them any more.

It sucks that the mobile NY Times website is so much better than this app.
    i remove this app awhile ago. if there was an ability to auto download a couple of the articles it would be more useful to me. i ride the subway for about 2 hours a day.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    i remove this app awhile ago. if there was an ability to auto download a couple of the articles it would be more useful to me. i ride the subway for about 2 hours a day.
    I agree - the iPhone/iTouch app where it downloads the paper into the application is much better in this regard.
    The app was updated recently and it's much much better. I'm still torn about whether to use it or the website because I like navigating between sections better from the mobile website and it seems like more older content is accessible via the web site. However, from what I can tell, the app seems to be *really* fast and reliable now.
    I've never had a problem with it - all the way up to v1.3.1, just replaced my damaged Pre and I would install it again
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    The app was updated recently and it's much much better.
    Agreed. Much snappier than before. Not been getting the whirly circle hang so far.

Not to be greedy, but offline caching of articles would have been a nice feature to be added. But at least it looks like they're still developing for the app.
    The NY Times program sucks a lot. I barely fire it up anymore because too often it frustrates me. Has anyone checked out the LA Times program that came out last night? That was built right - it loads fast, updates content immediately, caches for offline view and every new page loads in an instant. I still don't know if I'll enjoy reading it, but at least its news that actually loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
    The NY Times program sucks a lot. I barely fire it up anymore because too often it frustrates me. Has anyone checked out the LA Times program that came out last night? That was built right - it loads fast, updates content immediately, caches for offline view and every new page loads in an instant. I still don't know if I'll enjoy reading it, but at least its news that actually loads.
    What good is L.A. news in N.Y.? Maybe national and global issues but as far as local news - you gotta have NY Times.
    Quote Originally Posted by officer140 View Post
    What good is L.A. news in N.Y.? Maybe national and global issues but as far as local news - you gotta have NY Times.
    Exactly - which is why I was comparing the application and not the content. NY Times is no good to me if it takes 20 minutes to load a story.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast