Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Anyone have any insight on whether there are any PDA style apps in the pipeline? I'm thinking of the type of applications that were previously available on the Palm OS: apps like those from TealPoint, Pimlico (Datebk6), WorldMate, Iambic(Agendus), etc.

I am a long time user of Palm PDAs (living in the past). I held out for Palm to bring out an updated OS/Phone/PDA (which turns out to be the Pre). The Pre has many things wanted, but it left out a number of things that "I took for granted" would be available on a Palm product. While I'm not disappointed with the phone, I'm only mildly satisfied. I was expecting smart phone/iphone features, but with a business bent (sort of missed it, huh?).

What I am seeing in the App Catalog is a bit of a disappointment (games & simple apps). There are certainly some nice single purpose apps, but I mean really how many tip calculators and food locators does a person need.

So does anyone have any thoughts on . . .
    - Whether it is it just too early to expect PDA style applications,
    - Whether the WebOS is unable to support these type apps,
    - Whether the App Catalog is too much of a hassle for developers,
    - Whether the market no long supports these type applications/cost (i.e. games are it, development/developers are elsewhere, etc).
    Last edited by gsmith58; 10/25/2009 at 07:13 PM.
    It's probably logical that simple applications with shorter development time would come first, but I do think that the open source nature of Pre programs is a disincentive to the development of 'serious' applications.
    If you want older palm os apps just download classic its $30 but if you are attached to your old palm os apps then its definitely worth it
    As johncc said, it takes longer for more complex apps to be developed. There's the thorny issue of not being able to obfuscate code in JavaScript.

It is possible to develop those apps in JavaScript, but existing code will need to be ported over. Often, apps also rely on third party libraries, and those need to be ported as well. You could say the JavaScript ecosystem is lacking in that area.

Palm is also currently restricting access to Synergy whereas before apps had unfettered access to the calendar and contact databases.

I don't think it's the case that the market no longer supports PIM development, the need is still there. But Apple's entry tilted the business toward low-cost infotainment apps, and that's what investors are looking for Palm to go after.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    As johncc said, it takes longer for more complex apps to be developed. There's the thorny issue of not being able to obfuscate code in JavaScript.
    argh!
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I don't think we'll see any "serious" apps (where by serious I mean expensive to develop) as long as developers can't protect their source code. This is a show stopper for me, and I'm just a small developer. Imagine how a big company would look at this.

Now, if a large portion of the app could be online and protected behind a server, that might help. But many of the apps people want are primarily "offline" in nature, and it doesn't make sense to chain them to online functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Now, if a large portion of the app could be online and protected behind a server, that might help. But many of the apps people want are primarily "offline" in nature, and it doesn't make sense to chain them to online functionality.
    I think this is key, and what Palm has in mind. When speaking to Palm engineers, a common refrain was "just put that feature behind a web service". But the problem here seems to be the business model.

If a webOS app is part local, part cloud based, how do you charge for ongoing online service running expenses? Charging for online services is an unsolved problem, especially for a small independent developer.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I qould love to see isilo.....but classic is too much money

NOT "HP webOS"!!!